GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that the most recent Ranier review evokes a lot of strong opinion about what constitutes "good badge engineering", "bad badge engineering", or whether the practice itself is the root of all evil.

Although I think the Ranier is just all that, I agree with the often-expressed sentiment that the GMT360 platform is shared among too many GM brands. While I wouldn't exactly call it a modern-day J-car (J-cars sucked, the GMT360 trucks are nice), we learned from the J-car experience that certain platforms just don't translate into certain brand identities no matter how much you tweak them.

I suspect many here would agree that the J-car was okay as a Chevy Cavalier and a Pontiac Sunfire, but that the idea of sharing the J-car began to fall apart as an Olds and a Buick and completely blew up when it infected Cadillac.

Likewise, the GMT360 platform works well as a Chevy and GMC, but does it translate into a Buick? A Saturn? A Saab?

My vote goes for Chevy/GMC/Buick/Saturn, although somewhat reluctantly since I haven't seen a Saturn rendition. The fact that it works well with Chevy and GMC is a no-brainer IMO, and I consider the Ranier a fine Buick that is sufficiently distinct from the other two, and as a way for GM to offer this vehicle in a more upscale form.

I think Saturn's brand expansion into real SUV territory makes sense, (as opposed to expanding into roadster territory--:blink:), so as long as they can create a distinct Saturn version of this vehicle, I'm all for it.

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
GM should never badge engineer more than 2 cars off of any platform, and when they do, whenever possible the changes should be more than just a grille insert.
We certainly don't need 5 (Chevy, GMC, Saab, Buick, Isuzu) of anything!
The upcoming 4 minivans are also totally unnecessary.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
saturn? when is saturn going to come out with one? I havent seen, heard nor even thought of saturn to get a SUV like the tblazer or envoy.

As that goes, GMC, Chevy, Buick and Saab. I think they should get it, but change the dam sheet metal around. Saab is a luxo car company and as with all luxury markets, an SUV needs to be in the mix. Its a big money maker as most people love SUV's. Make the Saab look more like a juiced up 9-3x, the GMC is fine the way it is, the chevy is fine the way it is, and the buick should get better styling as it does. It doesnt look exactly like the blazer or envoy. There are more curves in the windowns and more of a curvy car over all. My mom loves that SUV and she wants it. She didnt have a CLUE that it was the same exact truck as the envoy. She said it looked really nice inside. As for that review, oh well what are you gunna do. The Buick and Saab need to get better materials and better looking sheet metal and I think there is no problem sharing chassis and some body pannels, but dont do what they did with teh mini vans. Thats just pure lazy.

edit: the Izzuzu isnt really that bad looking. My gf didnt know that it was part of the family either. And Saturn should stick with the Vue. Its a big SUV for what part of the market Saturn takes up. If people want more SUV, there is the Tblazer waiting from chevy.

·
Registered
685 Posts
^my choices, as well. I don't see Saturn Selling a Truck base SUV for 30+. Saab, on the other hand, would leave enough of price cap to afford some real changes to the platform/body/interior, thus differentiating itself from the rest. IMO, anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts