GM Inside News Forum banner

Which GM Brand(s) Do You Think Should Get The Chop?

1 - 20 of 259 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Which GM Brand(s) Do You Think Should Get The Chop?

Non-North American Based Companies, Such As Saab, Opel, Vauxhall & Holden, Are Not Included

Why didn't I include Saab as a Poll option? Because Saab is a wholly-owned, independent company of General Motors based in Europe (where the majority of it's sales lie) just like Opel and Vauxhall, unlike GM brands Buick, GMC, Pontiac, etc, in North America. The same thing applies with Mazda and Volvo to Lincoln and Mercury in the Ford empire. Apples and Oranges.

GM selling Saab is a totally seperate issue to GM sending another of it's North American brands to join Oldsmobile in car heaven, and that's why the question is 'Which GM Brand(s) Do You Think Should Get The Chop?
:yup:

·
Registered
863 Posts
I would have voted Saab too but it wasn't listed so I voted Buick. Honestly I just really don't want Pontiac to be axed, whatever they axe to save Pontiac is ok with me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Its funny in the Buick thread a couple weeks ago I mentioned that GM should kill GMC. I own a GMC and think the GMC looks 10x better than the Chevy but I feel it would make the best business sense to kill GMC.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
With the price of gasoline at $4 a gallon and going up the logical choice would be GMC, but GMC makes more than just trucks and SUV's for the consumer market, they also make commercial trucks. Would GM completely kill the brand or only the consumer division?
Commercial trucks can go to Chevrolet and drop the remaining division with hummer.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Frankly, you do NOT get ride of GMC in a logical scenario.

Yes, they're all rebadges. But look at the sales. Why are that many people buying a rebadged Silverado instead of buying the Silverado? Why are they buying an Acadia over an Outlook? A Canyon over a Colorado? There is a perceived difference between GMC and those other brands. And being re-badges, their cost delta is low relative to their counterparts. If they can command a higher transaction price that justifies the increase in production cost, it's a net win for the company.

Kill GMC and those GMC buyers would NOT go to other brands, just like Olds buyers opted by & large for non-GM brands.

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
I've always been against cutting any brands, and I still think dumping Olds was a mistake.

But with the way the market is tanking, they may need to. Just not enough sales to keep all these brands alive.

If they finally complete the Buick/Pontiac/GMC dealership merge, isn't that in effect dumping two brands. They really wouldn't be three brands anymore, just one. The advertising and marketing could be combined.

Maybe the should do this and create Cadillac/Saab/Hummer as well.

Chevrolet would be the only standalone.

Frankly, I think Saturn is on life support. They sell five vehicles, all of them well designed and with a lot of merit. But they just aren't selling. The Astra is unique to Saturn (discounting non-NA Opel). It could be moved to Pontiac or Chevy. The VUE becomes the next Equinox. It's like Oldsmobile all over again - they launched a lot of good products that could have saved the brand, but no one bought them. But I don't think Saturn has even the number of loyal buyers than Olds had (and many of which GM has since lost).

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
GMC is a bunch of rebadges, but the sales are pretty darn good. No reason to cut them.

Is there a way to know which divisions are profitable? I'd bet GMC is.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Saab and Hummer
GMC is a bunch of rebadges of Chevy trucks, therefore almost free with regards to R and D. Saturn=Opel by 2014-ish? so it should be safe. Pontiac should equal Holden and 'should' be safe and Buick should be more upscale Chevy's. so the only ones to go should be Saab and Hummer.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
GMC is a bunch of rebadges, but the sales are pretty darn good. No reason to cut them.

Is there a way to know which divisions are profitable? I'd bet GMC is.
That would definitely determine my answer. GMC is like free money. They just need a new crossover truck and small SUV (coming!).

I'd remove saab from the US, sell hummer, and rename Saturn..OPEL. New name, new face. Public would forget about the plastic cars. And GM would save money.

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
How many of GMC's products are redundanct BOFs that will not sell with the current gas prices that are not going down again period?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I say GMC or Saturn. GMC are re-badges most people can't even differentiate from Chevy trucks. If they keep GMC, they should kill Saturn and re-badge the Opels as Pontiacs, along with Holdens. Now, with both Hummer and GMC gone, GM should make higher-end sub-models of Chevy trucks and SUVs. Kind of like a Denali option for Chevy.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I say Saturn and Hummer. Hummer, just because of image and sales dropping very quickly. Saturn because even after an entire lineup revamp, sales still aren't doing well. The public just doesn't seem to like Saturn.
GMC should stay as they still make up pretty decent sales. In Canada they sell more then Chevy trucks as well. People still like GMC.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I'd say kill GMC or sell Saab. Chevy could easily fill the gap left by GMC and so could Opel-Vauxhall-Saturn if Saab was sold.

the thing is if they put PB with Saturn, Pontiac will need some serious attention as it will be hard to sell three cars on the same platform with different metal and such.Pontiac would have to go full RWD sporty (lower end Caddy) and Buick mid-high end Asian fighter, with Saturn as Euro brand featuring AWD models.

now, if they sold Saab they wouldn't lose much of a market as Saab is a niche brand and doesn't produce many sales.On the other hand Saab is great and unknown for their turbos and fuel efficiency doesn't seem like a brand to can rightnow. GM needs to play off Saabs past to bring in sales and technology back to the brand.

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Looking at just core models here I would really focus them like this:

Chevrolet: Main-Stream, Covers all the Bases (Toyota Competitor), Chevrolet SS: V8 Performance Models
Saturn: Slightly Upscale, Euro-Brand. Seperate it from being "American" as much as possible. (VW Competitor)
Pontiac: Light, Nimble & Sporty (Mazda Competitor)
GMC: Chevrolet's with more technology, plus off-roaders (Jeep) with more fuel efficient engine choices (diesels).
SAAB: Utilize global brand reputation, FWD/AWD Performance (Audi)
Cadillac:RWD Ultimate Luxury & Performance (BMW, etc.)

AT MOST that is what you need.

·
Banned
1,169 Posts
1 - 20 of 259 Posts