·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Mercury Topaz? WTF

I'm assuming this somewhat based on age. Most of the rice rockets are probably bought by younger guys who tend to speed more. Though if true it kind of tells me that the Mustang and Camaro aren't being bought by the young 20 somethings (most likely because of price), which tells me that GM needs to get something out there to attract them.

·
Registered
389 Posts
that list cracks me Up. I can see the WRX, GTO, FR-S, and Supra being in the top 5 since they are sporty cars, but the Tribeca? Topaz? Auro? Reno? Prius C? Hilarious

I think this list goes to show that getting a speeding ticket really does not have anything to do with the speed of the vehicle, its all about the idiots driving them.

·
Registered
7,419 Posts
BUICK REGAL

Overall rank: 314

Percentage with tickets: 17.9%

Average for all cars: 19.9%

SATURN OUTLOOK

Overall rank: 120

Percentage with tickets: 22.1%

Average for all cars: 19.9%

·
Premium Member
36,584 Posts
Mercury Topaz? WTF

I'm assuming this somewhat based on age. Most of the rice rockets are probably bought by younger guys who tend to speed more. Though if true it kind of tells me that the Mustang and Camaro aren't being bought by the young 20 somethings (most likely because of price), which tells me that GM needs to get something out there to attract them.
If you'll watch World's Dumbest, you'll notice a lot of the drunk shirtless wife beaters arrested at the trailer park at 0300 after a car chase from the Stop-N-Rob, were driving/aiming Topazes and other aging clunkers which are easy to steal, are probably left running with the keys in them when the owners run in for a 12-pack, and also can easily be purchased by ne'er-do-wells for fie hunnert bucks. And of course the drivers are ticketed.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mercury Topaz? WTF

You do realize that saying that the Camaro and Mustangs are too expensive for 20-somethings (hence the lack of tickets), yet the WRX (which ranks number 1, and is a favorite of younger drivers) which typically costs well past the $30K mark isn't, right???

At any rate, GM doesn't need to do squat to attract 20-something buyers. To think so misses the entire life's purpose of Camaro (and Mustang)....they were never meant to be marketed to first time new car buyers. Camaros and Mustangs have always been the cars marketed towards and bought by those who are well into their careers and usually still single. This has been the case for at least 35 to 40 years if not both car's entire life.

The demographics of new Camaro SS and Mustang GT buyers are mostly male, most all of them in the late 30s and up. Buyers of V6 versions of both cars are concentrated in the low 30s and (contrary to stereotypes of some here), majority are males. Buyers of new Camaros and Mustangs tend to load on more personalization options than any other class of car. The theme in both instances is that these cars are a reward to yourself for the hard work you did to get to the level you're at (directly from the original 65 Mustang's marketing), and the personalization is to have the car "your way". The more options bought, the more money both the company and the dealer made on the car. Also back in the 60s, Lee Iacocca famously stated that you can market an old person a young person's car, but not a young person an old person's car. That's been the mission of "Pony cars" ever since. Selling a young looking car to the older people with money to splurge, while resale values stayed up because there were heaps of kids looking to buy them when you finished.

Contrary to popular belief, most 20 somethings either buy used, or buy low end cars like the Focus, Dart, or other cheap car both in order to establish credit plus to have a dependable car under warranty so if something breaks, it's not going to break them financially since it's covered.

that list cracks me Up. I can see the WRX, GTO, FR-S, and Supra being in the top 5 since they are sporty cars, but the Tribeca? Topaz? Auro? Reno? Prius C? Hilarious

I think this list goes to show that getting a speeding ticket really does not have anything to do with the speed of the vehicle, its all about the idiots driving them.
I don't know about the others, but the Hybrid Prius makes sense when you think about it.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
CHEVY CORVETTE: Overall rank - 420, Percentage with tickets - 15.2%

DODGE DART: Overall rank - 22, Percentage with tickets - 26.7%

I totally disagree! I drove cross country in my Dart and received 0 tickets. Same route with my Corvette (driving the same 80ish mph), I received 3 tickets!

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
BUICK ROADMASTER: Overall rank: 424 Percentage with tickets: 15.1%

CHEVROLET SUBURBAN: Overall rank: 389 Percentage with tickets: 16.1%

CHEVROLET CRUZE: Overall rank: 32 Percentage with tickets: 26.1%

Guess I better be careful with my Cruze! :)

It is all about how you drive. I've never had a ticket.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Basically, what this study indicates is speed limits are set way too low in America. If they set limits at the suggested NHTSA 85th percentile of driver speed on a roadway with no speed limit posted, they would have much higher limits and less tickets to give out. The truth is speed limits are set intentionally low to garner revenue for the local and state judicial system. The campaign to brain wash voters into thinking slower speeds, such as 55 MPH, is safer is hard to overcome. Michigan and other state legislators are trying to get the limits raised to a more reasonable speed but some of the low information voters and those who profit from the revenue (with their many lobbyists) are a serious hurdle. The safety issue revolves around the 10-15 percent of drivers who refuse to break the law, even though they otherwise would have no issue keeping up with the flow of traffic. This causes congestion and accidents whereby a majority of drivers wish to travel at higher speeds that the roadway is clearly designed to handle safely, especially considering todays much safer automobiles.

http://www.freep.com/article/201308...awmakers-look-at-lifting-highway-speed-limits

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/2...se-michigan-speed-limits-to-as-high-as-80-mph

BTW, keep in mind, if 20% of drivers/owners are getting tickets there are still a bunch more who speed yet don't get ticketed. This just further underscores the fact speed limits are set much lower than what is recommended as the safest speed. And further indicates that speed limits have nothing to do with safety but everything to do with robbing the tax payer of more money. Speeding tickets (in most cases) are just another form of hidden tax to pay for the illegitimacy of another government entity. It's extortion to the highest degree! :yup:

HOW CITIES ROB YOU:
http://thegeorgiaspeedingticketkiller.com/cities_rob_you_2.php

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
14,487 Posts
They put my car at #164 and percentage with tickets: 21.0%. Even more interesting is that what I traded for the Malibu, a Le Sabre is #383 and percentage with tickets: 16.3%. All in all I still say the best comment here so far is from WishIhadatruck and "it's all about how you drive". I fully agree with that, 'cause it's been 6 or 8 yrs. since I've had a ticket(knock on wood).:)

·
Registered
1,138 Posts

There's probably only one Mercury Topaz left in the whole country and the guy who owns it obviously drives it like a bat out of.....well, you know where. Singlehandedly, he catapults the Topaz to the top of the list.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts

Never once got a ticket in my WRX but got one in my Tribeca that was eventually overturned.

Didn't know there were any Topaz(es) left running.

·
Banned
2,267 Posts
To think so misses the entire life's purpose of Camaro (and Mustang)....they were never meant to be marketed to first time new car buyers.
Not so. At the end of the 4th gen production, the Z/28 base price was $19,500. You go back to the 70s and brand new Camaros were super cheap, which is why they sold boat loads of them back then. Easily affordable for someone at their first real job out of school. 12 years later, the 5th gen LS Camaro base is $24,000 which isn't a bad increase allowing for inflation. But a 5th gen SS starts at $32,000. Same for a 2014 Mustang GT.

The Camaro, Firebird, and Mustang were all once upon a time affordable for people starting out in their early 20s. Not so any more

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
It's those WRX's trying to prove they are faster than the domestic muscle and the muscle not flexing back. Them WRX's are fast, but they don't need to speed every where to prove it. The tickets must be their way of showing proof of how fast they are.....

Where do I find the list based on Car type (coupe, sedan, suzie soccer mom texting - I mean minivan/SUV/CUV...) and color?

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
Not so. At the end of the 4th gen production, the Z/28 base price was $19,500. You go back to the 70s and brand new Camaros were super cheap, which is why they sold boat loads of them back then. Easily affordable for someone at their first real job out of school. 12 years later, the 5th gen LS Camaro base is $24,000 which isn't a bad increase allowing for inflation. But a 5th gen SS starts at $32,000. Same for a 2014 Mustang GT.

The Camaro, Firebird, and Mustang were all once upon a time affordable for people starting out in their early 20s. Not so any more
up until the late 90' the Mustang/Camaro WAS a "cheap" runabout and Mostly all about the looks but where compact family sedans converted into a "sports" car

the WRX/GTO I get along with the Topaz and Prius "C" as all of those I assume have a VERY young buyer group BUT it is the Tribeca I do NOT GET?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.