GM Inside News Forum banner

which car should i buy?

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  gopedxr7 
#1 ·
Next spring my parents are helping me buy my first new car. I have saved enough to pay a good share and they are willing to help me with the rest. I know that most of you will agree to the fact that someone my age (18yrs) should go for something used, and i highly agree. I have gotten into one accident with my parents 86 Cougar (NOT MY FAULT) which totalled the car. But my parents have a thing about buying used cars, basically they never did and never will. I was planning to get something used and came very close to getting a mint 87 Regal Turbo T with 70,000 miles for dirt cheap, and i mean cheap, but it was sold durring arguing with my parents. So i told them if you feel like that about buying used cars, get me a new one, and to a great shock to me they agreed. So these are the cars i am considering. They vary in size and price but as long as its american i will go for it. Whatever i get will be a base stripped model. but not like a rent a car, no hub caps, i hate plastic hub caps.

Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.4
Leaning the most to this car. a really nice looking car. i dont know why they dont sell more

Chevy Impala base 3.4
My parents have a LS and that car is nice and really good in snow

Pontiac Grand Am 4door 5sp 4 banger
I want to learn to drive a manual car, and this is the only way i will

Oldsmobile Alero
Last year of oldsmobile, what a shame

Ford Mustang 3.8 5sp
I miss having a rear wheel drive car. but i may change my mind since i am at college at SUNY Oswego and i keep hearing there is alot of snow up here. Plus its a manual car

Chevy Blazer
People tell me not to go for this, but its the most expensive one here when the 4wd is added

Chevy Cavalier 2dr
tempting with the incentives. but a little too small and japanesee for my taste.

I have more reasons for each one, but it will go on for too long and nobody will want read it. If anyone else has something they think is good for a first new car tell me.

Alan

See less See more
#2 ·
Funny you mention that about the T-type. I was supposed to get an '84 Gran National when I was 16 and the dumb@$$ at the bank talked my parents out of it. DAMN! it was sweet!

I have an Alero and I love the car. I like the looks better than the Grand Am and it is not as small as a Cav, not to mention four wheel discs and fully independant suspension, though, it is a little heavier. The Eco with a 5spd would be fun for a while and you could boost it later. Plus, you can get the 3400 in it if you want. It supposedly doesn't match the 3400 in the monte but it is the same motor, so that power could be found and it weighs considerably less. Andy's autosport has a nice looking body kit for it, if you are so inclined. There are turbo and s/c kits for them too(as there are for the G/A and Cav.).

I think most you have picked would be nice to have.

Oh, don't forget you could get one of the last 500 Alero's with the collector's edition stuff.

#3 ·
I drove an '01 Alero out in Los Angeles two years ago, while on business. I had so much fun with that car. What a nice ride. The V-6 was peppy enough. Seats were nice. Nice sound system too! This would be the easiest to insure, IMHO. Handled well on the I-405(YES, there were very few traffic jams...). I was bummed after returning the car to LAX. I wish I could have packed it up & taken it home........

Olds will have an Alero Special edition next spring.........

Ken

#4 ·
1. The Pontiac Sunfire will be around for a few more years, whereas the Cavalier dies next summer as the Chevy Cobalt comes along. It got a dash redesign for 2003, where the Cavalier only got a new steering wheel. It also gets the same rebates.

2. The all-new 2004 Chevy Malibu is a much better choice than the older Impala if you want an automatic Chevy sedan, and cheaper, too. It shares its platform design with the Saab 9-3 and Opel Vectra -- solid. And it looks like it was designed post millenium.

3. The Monte Carlo is nicer than you are thinking, you get a 3.8L engine in your 2004 "base". Much more power than the 3.4L. If you like the look, then by all means get what you like. I like them too, but they only have an automatic, so forget fast & furious fun.

4. The Blazer is cool, but only if you want or need an SUV. For fun driving, stick with a coupe or a sedan w/an automatic. You'd probably be better off getting a 4-cylinder 2004 Chevy Colorado with an extended cab. I've driven one and they are NICE.

I'd vote for a Sunfire coupe in black with a tan interior. They're so darned cheap with rebates, and the new for 2002-3 Ecotec engine and 2003 restyle is a welcome improvement.

Or I'd get a new 2004 Malibu with the 3.5L engine (I think the base Ecotec is a little too weak for its size, but I could be wrong).

I'd also consider a Grand Am GT coupe with ram air. They look great with black paint and chromed pipes.

But if all prices were the same, I'd get the Malibu. It's going to last you the longest and look the best / most relevant 5 years from now. The 3.5L engine is a much better choice than the older 3.4L engine - and even GM advertises it as lasting longer....! I'd listen to 'em. Sure, it ain't too sporty looking, but I'd go to the aftermarket for that.

#7 ·
Hmm it going to be a little difficult to give an answer it seems the people that have posted pretty much have said it all. But i'll try to add something to this discussion.

I say test drive the Ecotec 2.2L I-4 & 3.4 V6 in the Alero to see which is best out of the two for what you want. Remember the 5-speed option is only availible in the 2.2L and check how reliable the 3.4L V6 is. Gottah do some reach on the history on it. After that, take a look at the new Malibu with the 3.5L V6. (I agree with Ming that the 2.2L will be too weak in the malibu) See if you like the exterior/interior styling and the ride. I'm sure the ride will feel more solid since it's the same as the Saab 9-3.

Futhermore, think if you will be satifited with your ride in about 5 years down the road. Keep in mind there will be many options to choose from the aftermarket for the Ecotec, 3.5L V6, and the new Malibu very soon. The Pontiac G6 will be out late 2004. Do you need a ride right now? Can you wait about a little over 6-8 months? (Becareful about buying a car in the first production model year)

Pretty much I say going for a mid-size is the way to go for space, power, and price. I'm not wouldn't go for the Monte Carlo/Impala 3.4L V6. You can get more stuff inside and out for the mid-size than a base full-size. Altought, if you need the space, Monte Carlo/Impala is the car. Just go for the 3.8L V6. It's a better engine choice for a that size of car.

And lastly, insurance. Over where I live (Ontario, Canada) you will get slammed with any company if you are under 25. I heard GM has cheeper insurance. Find out on all the current & future special offers on the GM web site, a GM dealership, and/or you can ask someone like Ghran (Ghrankenstein) to give you the 411.

I hope I helped out. Goodluck man :beer:

#8 ·
thanks for all the input.

i did not know that the alero had independent rear suspension. does the grand am too?

for you all that say about modifying later. i am not really into all that. right now i am in college and i dont want to spending weekends fixing problematic aftermarket things. i am the type of person that keeps the AC Delco radio in the dash and replaces the air filter, oil filter and plugs using gm AC delco parts. Now if i were out of college i would pick up a camaro and really mod it out engine though, and keep it stock looking all the way down to the stock wheels

the malibu is a nice car but its just came out and its not known how it will do. in drivers ed i had to use a 2.2L Malibu, i was always debating if it was slower than my old 86 Cougar or not. The new one looks nice but its just not my style.

Right now i dont have my own car. I had my own car, but it was wrecked last November 2002 and i took over my parents car. Now i am college 7 hours away from home and am getting sick of taxis and buses.

Alan

#9 ·
I would go Monte Carlo LS, but add the sport appearance package... it doesn't cost that much ($500) and will add resale value. You should be able to buy a Monte LS like that for under $20K with current rebates. The 3.4 is a good engine and while not overly powerful, will get well over 30 MPG on the highway. I would also recommend the new Malibu, but if it isn't your style, buy what you like!!

#10 ·
Not on your list what about the Saturn Ion Red Line. Newer platform than the Sunfire or Cavalier and is a good car if you can get by the gauges being in the center of the dash. You can get your new car, stick shift, high performance, but it is not rear wheel drive.

#13 ·
I have done alot of reaseach on the Monte Carlo. Loved them ever since they came out. I have done alot of pricing on the monte carlo. I looked into the appearence package. In 2003 it came with the Nascar spoiler and 5spoke 96 impala ss style rims. Now in 2004 it comes with the nascar spoiler and the 5 spoke dimond cut wheels, simular to the new SS Monte carlo wheels. I found that the spoiler costs as much as the wheels alone. The wheels alone are $350 option. The package goes for 500. The spoiler just blocks rear view anyway. I hate the one on my parents 2003 Impala LS. I cant imagine how much it would piss me off if i had one of those cheap looking ricers 2 foot tall wings as they call them, that block everything. lol

Alan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.