GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
Either it has fallen of the face of the earth and out of future product or GM is actually going to keep the wraps on it so people don't think it needs a refresh by the time it actually hits the lots.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Yeah, that was one story/article a while back.

It is a good question because NO one seems to really know much of anything about the "next" Impala...just that there will be something. The story about it keeps changing, but never any real details. Yet, at this point, with the 3rd model year of the current W body rehash about to be over...SOMETHING has to be out there and in existence by now. Though, with the RWD then FWD then RWD then FWD discussion even not long ago...makes one really wonder how far along "it" could be.

There's even more known about the next Malibu, with the current new model just having been out for a few months. The Impy is a mystery for sure...

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
It's funny, I actually ended up a member here at GMi because I wanted info on the last update of the Impala. :eek:

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
GM's waiting to see what they can steal from Holden before they spend any money developing one for the US. ;)
Sadly, likely so....grab a Holden, stick on a hastily fashioned Chevy-flavored nose clip and, voila', the "next Impala" would not surprise me at all in view of the disappointment I felt about the "next Grand Prix" that could have been visually stunning as Grand Prixs were in the 60's and 70's. Thank heavens Cadillac is designing fresh original cars.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Sadly, likely so....grab a Holden, stick on a hastily fashioned Chevy-flavored nose clip and, voila', the "next Impala" would not surprise me at all in view of the disappointment I felt about the "next Grand Prix" that could have been visually stunning as Grand Prixs were in the 60's and 70's. Thank heavens Cadillac is designing fresh original cars.
I have no problem with another Commodore variant in the U.S.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
On the Holden regard, that is true (especially with the package the Malibu now offers and will continue to offer on the EP-II platform before long)...but the main stick is fuel economy.

Actually, I think that's the big thing holding up news on a new Impala in general...gas mileage, because as articles have said, it's the biggest factor for GM it seems in figuring out what they can and want to do with the Impala. Mostly in regards to FWD/RWD and weight and also in possible powertrains, etc...all while keeping to a formula of larger than Malibu inside (unlike now) and out.

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
I think there is a production agreement with the UAW for a large FWD notchback sedan for Chevrolet in 2010. Impala anyone?

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
all while keeping to a formula of larger than Malibu inside (unlike now) and out.
The current Impala doesn't beat the 2008 Malibu in head or leg room, but it still has a comfortable edge in hip and shoulder room.

And neither are nearly as large inside as the G8 or Lucerne. I'm hoping the next Impala is incredibly spacious inside.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Ive heard if alomst definently wont be rwd, i think chevy will have the camaro as its performance rwd vehice, and leave the rest to cadillac and pontiac.

Ive heard of GM stretching the EPSILON OR EPSILON II and making another fwd Impala just because the CAFE is breathing down their neccks

maybe they should have thought about increasing the malibu in size as much as they did just because now the cars are and will be very close in size for a long time

The fusion in positioned as the midsized vehicle that has the sporty feel, while the current taurus and the new 2010 Taurus are significantly larger with fwd like most americans like in a sedan, on a side note im not impressed with the new maxima, the impala is starting to get dated, and who knows what toyota will bring with the 2011 Avalon

Taurus will once again be the choice for a great fwd sedan

·
Registered
8 Posts
we dont need another fwd impala people! we deserve a high performanced rwd impala.whats going on in the decision room at GM?seems like they're stuck on the 4 speed transmission and front wheel drive cars do away with the thought of a fwd impala and also 4 speed transmissions because they're so yesterday

·
Registered
8 Posts
ford isnt capable of making good long lasting decent cars and trucks bottom line!this is something i will take to my grave,I'm a GM Man 4 life,GM BLOOD flows thru my veins I'm riding with GM thru the good and the bad the ups and downs Im a true GM FAN not a band wagoneer. the ford tarus isnt considered a new car,its a cheap remake of the five hundred,which was a failure.ford's design team was so lazy they couldn't redesign the taurus or the mercury sable so they rebadged them with the 2 worst names they could come up with.GM IS A BETTER BRAND than ford,chrysler,toyota,honda or any other manufacter you can think of.dont panic the avalon is not a threat nor is the maxima.if you feel the ford taurus is a great american fwd go buy one and watch how displeased and unsatisfied you become.word of advice"buying a ford is the beginning of stupidity" not a ford fan,not a toyota fan,not a honda fan either,I'm a GM RYDER 4 LIFE kiddo!!!!!

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Supposedly there will likely be a stretched E2 platform for the Impala now that the Zeta Impala is dead. As far as I know, the Kansas City plant is going to build a wagon-ish type vehicle for Chevrolet to compete with the new Toyota Venza.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
ford isnt capable of making good long lasting decent cars and trucks bottom line!this is something i will take to my grave,I'm a GM Man 4 life,GM BLOOD flows thru my veins I'm riding with GM thru the good and the bad the ups and downs Im a true GM FAN not a band wagoneer. the ford tarus isnt considered a new car,its a cheap remake of the five hundred,which was a failure.ford's design team was so lazy they couldn't redesign the taurus or the mercury sable so they rebadged them with the 2 worst names they could come up with.GM IS A BETTER BRAND than ford,chrysler,toyota,honda or any other manufacter you can think of.dont panic the avalon is not a threat nor is the maxima.if you feel the ford taurus is a great american fwd go buy one and watch how displeased and unsatisfied you become.word of advice"buying a ford is the beginning of stupidity" not a ford fan,not a toyota fan,not a honda fan either,I'm a GM RYDER 4 LIFE kiddo!!!!!
I don't get this level of loyalty to a company. GM couldn't give a whit if any one of us fell off of the face of the Earth tomorrow. The sole thing they are interested in, is parting a large chunk of your money from your wallet. Once done, they don't want to see you again, untill you are ready to part with another large chunk of money from your wallet. I personally cross shop the brands, and purchase the car that best suits my needs at the time. If it's a GM car, fine. If it's a Ford, fine. Same for Chrysler, Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Nissan, Mazda, etc. They all build products that are going to cost me money the entire time I own it, and will be just about worthless by the time I'm done.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I don't get this level of loyalty to a company. GM couldn't give a whit if any one of us fell off of the face of the Earth tomorrow. The sole thing they are interested in, is parting a large chunk of your money from your wallet. Once done, they don't want to see you again, untill you are ready to part with another large chunk of money from your wallet. I personally cross shop the brands, and purchase the car that best suits my needs at the time. If it's a GM car, fine. If it's a Ford, fine. Same for Chrysler, Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Nissan, Mazda, etc. They all build products that are going to cost me money the entire time I own it, and will be just about worthless by the time I'm done.
Agreed, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with Ford in the quality, reliability, etc. department. They aren't rated at the top of the industry in various publications for no reason.

But not to get off topic. I very much think, as has been rumored, that a stretched EP-II Impala will be what we see...but I sure hope it's actually rolling, because now getting onto model year 4 of an reskinned old basis, it's time for a Malibu-like transformation.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts