GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When will GM learn?: "Surprised" at success of Cobalt XFE, Quadruple What GM Expected

Cobalt XFE selling faster than planned

Nancy Libby, a spokeswoman for Chevrolet, says that demand for the car surprised the automaker, as it had estimated that the XFE would make up just two to three percent of Cobalt sales. In actuality, the XFE model accounts for eight percent of sales and sits on the lot for just eighteen days on average -- lowest of any Cobalt model. Perhaps the best news of all is that other automakers are observing the success Chevy has had with the XFE, and the concept is spreading across from GM to both Ford and Chrysler.

·
Registered
44,160 Posts
Re: When will GM learn?: "Surprised" at success of Cobalt XFE

GM WILL NEVER LEARN!!!

Amazing, isn't it? Build a car that people want to buy... and they will buy the damned thing!!!

GM is surprised by the popularity of Cobalt XFE.
GM was surprised by the popularity of Enclave.

GM was surprised when STS failed to meet any of the adjusted sales goals. Well.. build a crappy car.. and that's what you get.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Re: When will GM learn?: "Surprised" at success of Cobalt XFE, Quadruple What GM Expe

Just more evidence that the leadership is out of touch with the market.

Keep the crossovers and Tahoe hybrids coming - soon a bankruptcy judge will be making your production and marketing decisions for you...

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Re: When will GM learn?: "Surprised" at success of Cobalt XFE, Quadruple What GM Expe

The XFE model accounts for eight percent of sales and sits on the lot for just eighteen days on average -- lowest of any Cobalt model. Other automakers are observing the success Chevy has had with the XFE, and the concept is spreading across from GM to both Ford and Chrysler.
Whoah - Ford might bring back the "MPG"!

·
Registered
16,689 Posts

Oh, I'm sorry. I was looking for the GM fan site. This is obviously not it. I seem to have stumbled on to a site for Toyota lobbyists in Washington DC.
Even GM's success seem to be met here with jeers and condescention.

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Imagine if GM offered an XFE versions of the Malibu, Equinox, Aveo, G5, G6, Torrent, Vue, Astra and Aura.

Now imagine if GM offered the XFE with a 6 speed auto. And imagine if they made enough so that supplies were not constrained.

Now imagine what would happen not only to sales, but to GM's CAFE.

·
Registered
348 Posts

Before you guys go into full-fledged GMI Negative-mode, the following quote from the article is worth mentioning:

"GM says it took just eighteen months to make this new version a reality, and rumors indicate there could be more XFEs on the way."

Eighteen months ago, SUVs were selling slower than before, but still selling fairly well. Instead of bashing them for being surprised at their success, you might try congratulating them on "reading" the market for a change. Ie. at least they have something to sell, unlike Chrysler, which spent the time rolling out the Dodge Nitro.

Jomo

·
Registered
4,391 Posts

Im glad its selling so well.. So hopfully with the Cruze getting about 9mpg better then the Cobalt the Cruze should sell extremely well!

·
Super Moderator
4,266 Posts

Whoah - Ford might bring back the "MPG"!

Did Ford force every Pinto MPG buyer into those lovely plaid seats, or did they have to "pay" for the privilege? :D

·
Registered
47 Posts

Did Ford force every Pinto MPG buyer into those lovely plaid seats, or did they have to "pay" for the privilege? :D
And we all miss the thrill of that 'push you back in your seat' 90 hp, don't we? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
44,160 Posts

Before you guys go into full-fledged GMI Negative-mode, the following quote from the article is worth mentioning:

"GM says it took just eighteen months to make this new version a reality, and rumors indicate there could be more XFEs on the way."

Eighteen months ago, SUVs were selling slower than before, but still selling fairly well. Instead of bashing them for being surprised at their success, you might try congratulating them on "reading" the market for a change. Ie. at least they have something to sell, unlike Chrysler, which spent the time rolling out the Dodge Nitro.
18 months is PATHETIC!!!
It took GM that long to launch the Kappas!!!

What is the Cobalt XFE? A different engine with a different tranny??
That should have been done in 6 months.

"reading the market for change?????" If GM knew how to do that, XFE would have launched when Cobalt was introduced to the market a few years ago!!!

Please....

·
Registered
5,424 Posts

Keep the crossovers and Tahoe hybrids coming - soon a bankruptcy judge will be making your production and marketing decisions for you...
Well said my man :yup:

·
Registered
2,554 Posts

Right, except that out of touch leadership made the decision to build the XFE.

They also made the decision to launch the new Cobalt two years ago when SUV sales were rolling and everyone thought GM would never introduce a competitive compact. In case you haven't noticed, the car is actually quite good. That's why it's selling.

Every car maker save perhaps Honda has been surprised by this sudden market shift. And Honda is only prepared because they had never bothered to compete for truck sales in the first place.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts

Every car maker save perhaps Honda has been surprised by this sudden market shift. And Honda is only prepared because they had never bothered to compete for truck sales in the first place.
I think you just insulted our resident Ridgeline owners. ;)

·
Registered
4,034 Posts

Oh, I'm sorry. I was looking for the GM fan site. This is obviously not it. I seem to have stumbled on to a site for Toyota lobbyists in Washington DC.
Even GM's success seem to be met here with jeers and condescention.
Great post, you should make that your signature. Love it. It's funny cuz it's true.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts

I think you just insulted our resident Ridgeline owners. ;)
LOL - All six of them. They probably would be insulted but they shouldn't - Honda actually stuck to its principals even when it was not convenient, and they will likely reap the rewards now.

If anything, Honda owners will become more smug and annoying than they were before (something I never would have thought possible).

·
Registered
6,021 Posts

Right, except that out of touch leadership made the decision to build the XFE.

They also made the decision to launch the new Cobalt two years ago when SUV sales were rolling and everyone thought GM would never introduce a competitive compact. In case you haven't noticed, the car is actually quite good. That's why it's selling.

The Cobalt Launched in 2005 I thought. I don't think the Cobalt is a bad car, but it's not class leading...

·
Registered
6,021 Posts

LOL - All six of them. They probably would be insulted but they shouldn't - Honda actually stuck to its principals even when it was not convenient, and they will likely reap the rewards now.

If anything, Honda owners will become more smug and annoying than they were before (something I never would have thought possible).
They can be smug all they want, that Accord is UGLY!! :D:p:

·
Registered
459 Posts
Re: When will GM learn?: "Surprised" at success of Cobalt XFE

GM WILL NEVER LEARN!!!

Amazing, isn't it? Build a car that people want to buy... and they will buy the damned thing!!!

GM is surprised by the popularity of Cobalt XFE.
GM was surprised by the popularity of Enclave.

GM was surprised when STS failed to meet any of the adjusted sales goals. Well.. build a crappy car.. and that's what you get.
STS isn't a crappy car, it is just 1/2 finished. That being said the update is not so much crappy as highly tacky.

·
Registered
37 Posts

The STS is not a crappy car..it is just 10k overpriced.

1 - 20 of 155 Posts