GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be ready to purchase a new Yukon SLT in 6 months or so. I really want the 8 speed automatic. When do you think GM will put the 8 speed in all of the 5.3L trucks? Are they still making the 6 speeds or using up inventory? Will all 2016's get the 8 speed? If so, when would 2016's hit the dealer lots?

Sorry for all of the questions...trying to plan when to upgrade the wife's truck. She wants to go buy one now but I'd rather wait 10-12 months if we get an updated model with some bugs fixed and a better tranny :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ha, could be. But let's have a reality check.....

Armada: 5 speed
Expedition: 6 speed
Sequoia: 6 speed
QX80: 7 speed
Durango: 8 speed

The Denali w/ the 8 speed is a market leader. When the 5.3L guys get the 8 speed, will again be leading. Nothing really compares to the big GM SUVs anyways, they own the market IMO.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Wow. Dude! 4 posts in 8.5 years! I am in awe. I know very few people with that little to say...

Back to your question, I think (no longer do I KNOW the answers to things like this) that those trannies are capacity-constrained. However, it would have to be a supreme priority to get them into these vehicles ASAP. It really looks like "free money" profit-wise for GM. I would bet on next model year (2016), but if they fix it (capacity) sooner, it could come out sooner.

Disclosure: I'm a former GM-er, who used to be involved in similar situations, so I am making a guess based on my own past history, and the fact that this transmission is new and probably still ramping up.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I think similarly to when the 5.3 trucks get them. I think across the line the 4.3, 5.3, and 6.2 should get the 8 speed, trucks and SUV's alike. GM would be a fool not to.

I even think the Colorado and Canyon gas 3.6 and 2.5L and eventual 2.8L diesel should get the 8 speed. Is basically the same size as the older 6 speed and it actually weighs less, so there really is no reason they couldn't put it in the Colorado's too. Plus

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I don't think the 5.3 will get the 8 speed.....the 10 speed joint venture transmission will be ready in 1-3 years....that will be a huge improvement for the 5.3....

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
my guess would be 2016 MY trucks the earliest and would expect the Pick Ups to get it first/same time and the SUV's NOT to get it first as GM NEEDS to improve the sales of there trucks MORE then they NEED the SUVS improved
I am curious about the JV trannies with ford (9/10) speeders and what that does to this 8 speeder

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I don't think the 8-speed will make its way into everything else until 2017-2018 models. Which platform gets it first will likely be based on which platform needs it for performance reasons and which platforms make the most money. That said, I think the full size trucks, SUVs, Cadillac cars, and the Camaro (6th Gen) will be the first vehicles to see this new transmission.

my guess would be 2016 MY trucks the earliest and would expect the Pick Ups to get it first/same time and the SUV's NOT to get it first as GM NEEDS to improve the sales of there trucks MORE then they NEED the SUVS improved
I am curious about the JV trannies with ford (9/10) speeders and what that does to this 8 speeder
I think once it is available, it will make its way through the lineup in the same progression as the 8-speed is now, and the 8-speed will be the new base tranny. Beyond just being a bit more fuel efficient than the 6-speed, from what I've read the 8-speed is better in every measurable way (including internal design efficiency), so having it as a "base" transmission will be pretty awesome.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Isn't the JV a FWD trans, kind of along the lines of how GM/Ford share the 6T70, whereas the 6L80 was done entirely by GM and only used by GM? I would think the 8L would then be GM unique for RWD applications.

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
It is a great question.... one I am also personally interested in.

The thing of it is here, GM is following some kind of unknown script with all this.

Put another way..... if they went any slower with it - there would literally be little point to it at all.

Apparently, the 8L90'S real role is as a multiple role Insurance Policy.

And like all Insurance Policies one that 'hopefully' is used as little as possible.

Anyway..... a wag would be...... you won't see it with a 5.3 unless and until it is well past..... 'needed'.

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
Isn't the JV a FWD trans, kind of along the lines of how GM/Ford share the 6T70, whereas the 6L80 was done entirely by GM and only used by GM? I would think the 8L would then be GM unique for RWD applications.
I thought there was TWO trannies in the JV a 9 speed FWD transverse application and FORD is taking "point" on
and a 10 SPEED RWD unit that GM is taking "point" on

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
It would be more logical for the 8-speeds to roll out to the SUV's first, considering their higher price point/margins/market. Now you may be right if the PU's are not meeting sales goals, however.

To be fair, GM 6.2L trucks now have 8 speeds..... Just taking them time catch up with production I suppose.

I'd be a little ticked if I was ordering a 15 F-150 and it still has the same 6 speed
Ford chose to stick their money in the development for Aluminum body panels vs a intermediary tranny (with the joint 10 speeds on the way in a few years). I have no problems with that, as it needed to go on a diet and will probably help MPG's just as much. Go look at the MPG specs of the new tranny, they didn't go up much if any, depending on configuration.

I thought there was TWO trannies in the JV a 9 speed FWD transverse application and FORD is taking "point" on
That was my understanding as well.

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
Ha, could be. But let's have a reality check.....

Armada: 5 speed
Expedition: 6 speed
Sequoia: 6 speed
QX80: 7 speed
Durango: 8 speed

< Jeep Grand Cherokee 8HP / TF8 >

The Denali w/ the 8 speed is a market leader. When the 5.3L guys get the 8 speed, will again be leading. Nothing really compares to the big GM SUVs anyways, they own the market IMO.
Ok, that is some of them, lets get all the rest.

Back to what, MYR 2011 ? For some ?

Other way around I believe.

GM leading joint development 9sp / FWD.

Ford leading joint development 10sp / RWD.

Unless there are some seriously radical changes in a fundamental sense such as no toothed gears used ........and no that does not refer to any type of current or projected CVT type, or a greatly reduced number of them, hard to see how one, the nine will even match the 9HP program ( unless derivative ) and the 10 will..... sigh end up with anything truly useful ( other than marketing purpose ) in a net sense for a classic, conventional, open loop ( non regenerative ) system.

A DCT / AMT with clever design and management of gear and or shaft 'decoupling' and lubrication could possibly work out.

With or without a conventional type torque converter........but really, besides all the typical little things that often get done - such as a new 'super' fluid that is also super expensive ...... other than a type of SOP gear step skipping.....

There are some things of interest in a very real sense that could then easily go past 10 for good effect but they involve a completely new approach ie you gotta' lose the very notion of a geartrain as we currently know it; and fundamentally the core building block of a bunch of toothed gears put together somehow - just too much gear and gear tooth drag and related ie HW mpg goes up, and often City goes down never mind all the rest of the trade offs.

Like cost and complexity and all the fruit they bring.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
^^^More then likely, but I'm expecting that the Ford/GM longitudal transmission will be able to take nearly anything that either manufacturer can put in front of them. After all why go through all that development just to handicap it?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.