GM Inside News Forum banner

When it rains it wont start

7K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  wvshanghi 
#1 ·
I have a 98 GMC 3500 van when it rains it will turn over and kick back like its out of time but never fires. wait till the next dry day and it starts right up. Dont see any moisture in the engine compartment. Starts fine untill the next rainy day.

#3 ·
As seeing most vehicles are "distributorless" after 1994 or so which would rule that out, are you sure any vapor or unseen moisture aren't getting into vital electronical components and/or harnesses that could be accidently let in moisture that would essentially short it out. Long story stort it could be alot of things, but i would check what i just mentioned. I had problems before with my firebird not starting in heavy rain/fog, it turned out that unseen moisture was getting into my distributor, and a replacement cap was the remedy.

Edit: if it kicks back, then it may that somehow moisture is getting into your ignition system.

#6 ·
As seeing most vehicles are "distributorless" after 1994 or so which would rule that out......
The G vans ran cap/rotor/wires until after the 02 model year, then they switched to the 4.8/5.3/6.0 engines without distributors. Anyway, thats where I would put my money as well....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.