GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
2008's were inadmissable due to the stupid bumper law once again. The 09's are starting or have started production and supposedly Canada is getting some of the first of those... however, there is still no official press release on pricing and the GM Canada website and the G8 section still says "coming soon". :confused:

My guess is there is still some stupid Transport Canada issue and they're not ready to release the car still. TC has the most assinine laws that do nothing for safety and only serve to limit the choices of cars we get to buy here. Does an 8km/hr bumper rating do anyhing for safety over 4km/hr? No, it just limits choices for Canadians. Appearantly the Solstice has some bizarre rule about the bumper that the spoiler had to be deleted on some models... I saw it hinted in the Fastlane blogs that the G8 may be similarly affected, but who knows what is really going on... GM never fully explained why they didn't bother to try selling the GTO here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
is the canadian dollar still higher than the us? i know it was a while ago, dont really get canadian news in aus though. also do they need those blocks that stop your car from freezing in usa? they might still be developing small components like that, as an industrial desginer i know that can take a LONG time sometimes.

·
Registered
116 Posts
2008's were inadmissable due to the stupid bumper law once again. The 09's are starting or have started production and supposedly Canada is getting some of the first of those... however, there is still no official press release on pricing and the GM Canada website and the G8 section still says "coming soon". :confused:

My guess is there is still some stupid Transport Canada issue and they're not ready to release the car still. TC has the most assinine laws that do nothing for safety and only serve to limit the choices of cars we get to buy here. Does an 8km/hr bumper rating do anyhing for safety over 4km/hr? No, it just limits choices for Canadians. Appearantly the Solstice has some bizarre rule about the bumper that the spoiler had to be deleted on some models... I saw it hinted in the Fastlane blogs that the G8 may be similarly affected, but who knows what is really going on... GM never fully explained why they didn't bother to try selling the GTO here.
Took longer to get certified but Canada is getting the first batch of 09 G8's around May 2008 (featuring XM and Bluetooth).

Pricing is finalized but I don't think I'm supposed to say anything yet. Don't worry, lease/finance rates for this car are retarded so anyone looking to get a deal with have to get crafty. Thank GM for being a bunch of retards like usual. The rate is 6.4% as of April 15, 2008. Sure this could change, but for now, STUPID.

GTO didn't meet Canadian bumper laws put into place (also why it was only meant to be out in the US for a few years).

Edit - Carter Pontiac in Burnaby, BC has a preproduction G8 GT on display from GM. Black on black with all the goodies. The dealership is located at Lougheed and Willingdon but is leaving in a day or so (been there for a week on display).

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Took longer to get certified but Canada is getting the first batch of 09 G8's around May 2008 (featuring XM and Bluetooth).

Pricing is finalized but I don't think I'm supposed to say anything yet. Don't worry, lease/finance rates for this car are retarded so anyone looking to get a deal with have to get crafty. Thank GM for being a bunch of retards like usual. The rate is 6.4% as of April 15, 2008. Sure this could change, but for now, STUPID.

GTO didn't meet Canadian bumper laws put into place (also why it was only meant to be out in the US for a few years).

Edit - Carter Pontiac in Burnaby, BC has a preproduction G8 GT on display from GM. Black on black with all the goodies. The dealership is located at Lougheed and Willingdon but is leaving in a day or so (been there for a week on display).
Thanks for the info! I live in the Vancouver area, but I probably won't have a chance to see it. 6.4% is ridiculous, but hopefully they'll lower it later in the year.

Regarding the bumper laws, do manufacturers make seperate bumper components for Canadian bound cars as I was reading an article by IIHS that bumpers are failing horribly in their 8 km/h (5 MPH) tests. Even though it may take longer to get approved by Transport Canada, I'd rather have a bumper that did a decent job than one that does nothing.

Edit: Here's that article I was reading: http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr030107.html

I guess they upped the test to 6 MPH now, but still, it shouldn't cost thousands of dollars to repair the damage.

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
GM never fully explained why they didn't bother to try selling the GTO here.
Don't feel bad GM has never fully explained why they didn't bother to try and sell the GTO in the States either :rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.