GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'm thinking about changing the wheels and tires on the '00 Monte Carlo SS, it's black by the way. I need to be a bit careful though because the car will continue to be a daily driver all year round but obviously in the winter the summer tires will come off and the snowies will go on. That said, I need your help!

- black car, and I like black wheels with a chrome lip. I saw these Boss wheels and really like them but they're not available for the Monte from what I can tell.
- I'm thinking I might need to lower the car a bit because I don't want it to have nice wheels but still sit too high, a friend suggested coil overs that I can adjust the car in the summer and winter as needed. What are your thoughts? Pros vs cons?
- looking for a 17" rim most likely because I want to keep a decent amount of sidewall in a tire, I think stock on these Montes are 225/60R16s, I'd like to stay with at least a 40mm sidewall.

Can you think of any wheels that might interest me? And what are your thoughts on coil overs or an alternative. Thanks!

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Unless you're going to get big, cross-drilled rotors, you should stay away from wheels with such huge openings (IMO).

But I honestly can't think of any aftermarket wheels that would look good on a sixth-gen SS. Hmm..

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
there's a number of tiresize calculators on the web but this one came up first when I googled
Don't think you'll have any problem with "like to stay with at least a 40mm sidewall"... (that's less than 2" eek)

keeping under 1% diff in size/speedo-error:
245/50r17
265/45r17
didn't check availability but www.tirerack.com would at least give an idea
& you can use their tools and ratings as a starting point

·
Banned
8,969 Posts
You definitely need spinners. Nothing says class like spinners!

Seriously, I know very few people that buy big rims and tires without having problems. They look good but can be a real pain in the butt. Flats are never fun! IMO, I'd save my money and throw the cash into a CD.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
I think that maybe you should look into getting a set of current MC SS's wheels, 18's!
I think that a classic 5 spoke desing would go well for your car.
As for lowering the car, going with a good set of lowering springs as well as maybe adjustable rate struts front and rear could go a long way to increase the handling of the car.

Tires you will be looking for would be a 225/55-17 or 235/55-17. Or you can go crazy like the GP GXP and put on a set of 255's...ohhh yeah.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts