GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone know the story why the door panels are so cheap when they went to so much trouble to make most of the rest of the interior nice?
The door panels and lack of rear center armrest are head-scratchers.
???!!
Minor changes would make a huge difference.
Are any changes to these things coming before the car is replaced with a new model?

·
Registered
8,969 Posts
I always wondered that myself since the rest of the interior is such a massive ugrade. You would think the panel that your arm rests on would be a much better quality. You should see the Aura's.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts

·
Registered
44,167 Posts
Because GM deems them as unnecessary expense, as people don't really pay attention that closely to details.
But to be fair, the doors are actually improved from the original doors from the G6. :blink:

It's why GM cars can have great center stacks and IP and dash... but have questionable rears and door panels.

It's an inconsistency that just plagues GM.

CTS actually does a good job at being consistent. But that's about it at GM.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Because GM deems them as unnecessary expense, as people don't really pay attention that closely to details.
But to be fair, the doors are actually improved from the original doors from the G6. :blink:

It's why GM cars can have great center stacks and IP and dash... but have questionable rears and door panels.

People are going to notice the door panels before they notice little Chevy emblems embedded in the exterior lights.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
The first thing I noticed when getting in a Montana SV6 at a dealership was the way the nice-LOOKING door panels flexed considerably when I went to shut the door. It was a deal breaker that said, "the interior looks nice, but I wonder about the quality". Then we all know what happened next with the flood of complaints about the Uplander/CSV quality. That was an example of engineering not keeeping up with good design (well, the interior anyway).

So are the door panels hollow and flexy? Or is it just the materials? I can stand cheap materials if the door panel is solid (like in my GMC Safari).

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
yep. the panels and the center console damn near ruin the interior.

For 07 yes. For 2008 they get leather, and real stitching on the door panels.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts

Unfortunately you are right. I could not believe that Lutz himself thinks that lower door panels do not have to look or feel high quality because when we sit in the car we only deal with everything above the armrests!

This is the dangerous thinking that got GM in trouble in the first place.

GM has put itself in a position where it cannot skimp in any visible way because IT WILL get noticed. Like it or not, GM is going to be scrutinized more than its asian or German competitors because it is the company that has to prove it is a viable contender in a market where Japanese and German cars are the benchmark.

·
Banned
17,572 Posts

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
man you guys just lament over the quality of door panels like its quality and build is on par with a 95 Grand Am SE...sheesh, the way people talk about it here you'd think they were utter crap, fell apart after a week of use, paint had chipped all off in 300 miles of use and there were exposed screws that the plastic was tearing through because obese people put too much weight on these flimsy pieces of...

I digress but seriously, its not any worse than most cars out there nor is it any better in the under 30k range. Remember didn't we hear this crap about toyota camry's having hard plastic immediately above where you rested your arm and soft where it rested and Epsilon's had the opposite problem.

uhhh, its not excuses or forgetting about the problem, but the manner in which it's discussed you'd think it was the biggest piece of ...since 1927 in terms of armrest comfort and that a Yugo had a nicer armrest (eyeroll). I drive an 04 Malibu maxx, and apparently 08 is improved. Its not lexus-like comfort but it doesn't cost that either. My armrest worked just fine and nothing to write home about. Not amazingly comfortable but not begrudingly bad. Also, the Maxx has a rear armrest.

CobaltSS

·
Banned
17,572 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
:confused::confused::confused:WOW! "Cheap" door panels? EXACTLY what seems to be wrong with them? They aren't any better or worse than my previous Buick LaCrosse CXS door panels OR any of my other cars for that matter!

How many of you complaining about the "door panels" actually own an 08 Malibu and have experienced problems with the "cheap" door panels?

Some of you really crack me up. You're like the "professional" car testers- spend a few minutes with a car and you can tell if it's good or crap. You need to LIVE with a car to get the real truth!:soapbox:

·
Banned
17,572 Posts
:confused::confused::confused:WOW! "Cheap" door panels? EXACTLY what seems to be wrong with them? They aren't any better or worse than my previous Buick LaCrosse CXS door panels OR any of my other cars for that matter!

How many of you complaining about the "door panels" actually own an 08 Malibu and have experienced problems with the "cheap" door panels?

Some of you really crack me up. You're like the "professional" car testers- spend a few minutes with a car and you can tell if it's good or crap. You need to LIVE with a car to get the real truth!:soapbox:
You've obviously never had leather or faux leather covered arm rests on the door.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
528 Posts
You've obviously never had leather or faux leather covered arm rests on the door.
hmmmm.............

A $24,000 Malibu or Aura vs. a $34,000 Saab? It amazes me that the Saab is a nicer car.

Oh wait, I forgot. A $24,000 car should have every option that a $34,000 car does. Man, what was I thinking.

Does the Malibu have room for improvement? Absolutely it does. Deciding not to buy a car because of how a door panel looks ? (kilcher) You have got way bigger problems. If you are mad because a door panel doesn't have leather on it, what the hell are you doing at a Chevy or Saturn dealership?

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
What? they must not be delivering them to my store.

The panels were only improved for the Morocco Brown interior, the fake stitching was removed and not replaced with anything. The armrests are now a solid piece of material.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts

I own an 08 Aura and hate the door panels and center console. Everything else is perfect.

·
Banned
17,572 Posts
hmmmm.............

A $24,000 Malibu or Aura vs. a $34,000 Saab? It amazes me that the Saab is a nicer car.

Oh wait, I forgot. A $24,000 car should have every option that a $34,000 car does. Man, what was I thinking.

Does the Malibu have room for improvement? Absolutely it does. Deciding not to buy a car because of how a door panel looks ? (kilcher) You have got way bigger problems. If you are mad because a door panel doesn't have leather on it, what the hell are you doing at a Chevy or Saturn dealership?
Other 20k cars are starting to do it. Usually is isn't leather, but vinyl. People don't know the diff, and they prefer the vinyl to rough plastic.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
9,366 Posts

Yeah, that was a big upgrade. My only request/complaint for GM to change on the interior on the Aura after testing it. Makes such a huge difference!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts