GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use craigslist to look at used cars and motorcycles. In fact, that is where I have found my last two motorcycles. Lately my area has been bombarded by false ads. Like 2006 Honda Accord for $2995 or a 2005 Pilot for $4950. A 2000 Crewcab F-150 for $5500. A 2004 camry for $4000. And of course all these vehicles are in mint condition, nothing wrong with them. Just ridiculous ads that obviously are fake. It is like half the listings too. They won't list a city where they are located either, just the state. It is getting very irritating to peruse the local listings because half of them are fake.

Anyways, I am just curious what the scam is? Or if this is happening everywhere else too?

Oh by the way, if you wait till the next day, most of the fake ads have been yanked from that previous day.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
I HATE people who work so hard at avoiding "real" work. Do you know what I mean? Why not just get a freaking job, and stop being a criminal? Is it that hard? Scamming honest people is one of the dirtiest things one human can do to another.

I think the scam is; trying to get people to send a money order or transfer funds, or even cash. Certainly getting emails and pone numbers is a possibility, but I have a feeling the immediate $$$ is more of what they're after.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
They probably are fishing for email addys so they can spam you with other stuff.
Yeah, I didn't even think of that. That would make sense since they don't ever offer a phone number. Just an email.

The funny part was the $4000 2004 Camry was right below a 2005 Aveo that was $8900. If that doesn't throw a red flag, I don't know what will.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Anyways, I am just curious what the scam is? Or if this is happening everywhere else too?

Oh by the way, if you wait till the next day, most of the fake ads have been yanked from that previous day.
There are several variations. First of all, the car doesn't exist. They use pictures and VINs from ebay, autotrader etc.

Second, they'll usually give you a story about how they're currently out of state/out of country and that the car will be shipped to you.

Third, you're supposed to send them a deposit of $500 or so (which they say is refundable) to have the car shipped to you and pay the rest if you decide to take it. Some of them will tell you to send the money via Western Union (usually to an address abroad) and some of them will steer you towards a fake escrow site, usually made to look like an ebay service. People think they're sending the deposit to an ebay escrow service, but of course the car never comes and the buyers find out that there is no such thing as an ebay escrow service.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are several variations. First of all, the car doesn't exist. They use pictures and VINs from ebay, autotrader etc.

Second, they'll usually give you a story about how they're currently out of state/out of country and that the car will be shipped to you.

Third, you're supposed to send them a deposit of $500 or so (which they say is refundable) to have the car shipped to you and pay the rest if you decide to take it. Some of them will tell you to send the money via Western Union (usually to an address abroad) and some of them will steer you towards a fake escrow site, usually made to look like an ebay service. People think they're sending the deposit to an ebay escrow service, but of course the car never comes and the buyers find out that there is no such thing as an ebay escrow service.

sweet man, thats what I wanted to know.

They must get people to fall for it.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
By the way, if you're not sure about an ad, it's a good idea to google the VIN or a unique part of the description. Sometimes you can find the original site they stole the pictures from or a couple of older identical ads on craigslist. If a suspiciously cheap car is being advertised in 10 different cities from LA to NYC, it's usually a scam.

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
I replied to an ad, asked to see her item immediately. She replied, but I suspected something was off right away (it was a TV that I posted about in another thread). Not long after I was immediately bombarded by a sender calling themselves Free Samples Newsletter and another one with a similar name. That couldn't have been a coincidence IMO. They looked legit, so I hit their unsubscribe button only to get more **** mail. My spam filter didn't work right with them either--I had to manually block all there addresses. :brick

If you really want to get scammed reply to the personal ads!

I would create a new email address for yourself if you find something too good to be true.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thats the down payment. IE the amount of money it would take you to drive that car home today.

·
Super Moderator
18,180 Posts
I've had a "Solicitor" contact me from Malaysia saying that someone with the same last name as mine had died and there was several million dollars that could be tied up and transferred to me because he had no "other" living relatives. He was quite nice about it saying that he understood if it was against my morals. I pursued it and BCC'ed all messages to the Queensland Police Force Ecrime division, however it stopped after 3 messages. I also did the same thing with another guy who said I had won a toyota that would be shipped to me if I paid the refundable transport costs of $1500. I also pursued that to its end just to see how hard they would try. I have an individual email address for just such occasions and I also use that address whenever I sign up for something. I never give up my skype or phone number to someone I don't know. "I'll call you" is always my response. It's my guilty pleasure. I also string along telemarketers for as long as possible, politley listening to their pitch and then dismantling their offer unti they can lo longer justify it themselves. I am the telemarketers penance stare :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts