GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So in an effort to make this thread more accessible:

What are design details that you used to like, that have gone the way of the dodo?

In the original thread (Below) is a list of stuff that I miss

If there is one thing I know, it is how to tell people they are wrong. In my job I am constantly telling engineers that practically their ideas are impossible; “Yes, a bolt will fit there, but no one will be able to remove it ya over paid dunce etc. etc. ”. So I can provide direction. If there is 2 things I know, (and that’s about the full extent :D) it is that I don’t have the time to actually develop design skills to accompany my rants, ergo, can someone draw me a picture?

No better design challenge than meeting unattainable expectations based on pie in the sky requirements and recommendations based on romanticism, rather than the harsh realities of production feasibility, but hey that never stopped Homer.

Here’s my vision (which is basically a collection of rants turned specifications). Based on the concept of an uncultured light weight (try 2800lbs) poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

About Liberty/Legacy in size.

Preferably a lift back a la Mustang or LH torana.

2 door 4 door or funky half doors like the Saturn whatever, RX-8 or Mini Clubman (though this would make the next requirement difficult).

Pillar less doors ( I don’t care about the 2.5% rigidity and NVH loss)

Excellent DLO (Day Light Opening). I don’t like the low roof line of modern cars and concepts. If I’m going to run into a tree, I would like to see what kind it is. Saabs current turret is a good example.

Classic low waist lines. The idea here is to avoid basing my car on the wrong type of retro tech. All current retro cars are bland cars with classic add-ons. I prefer old school with added modern touches, such as a projector beams/ HID on a HQ Statesman.

Medium size donk (engine). One thing I love about V6s is their love of a good rev. 4-Cyls are too short on torque and (in the normal course of daily driving) V8s never “get their head”. I want to feel like I’m going fast via lots of visceral screaming, thrashing and other assorted mechanical cacophony (er, that’d be the 3800 then :lmao: )

Wheels that allow you to hit potholes mid corner at speed without disintegrating, ie 18” max!

Any takers? Hurry before more classics suffer the fate of this poor Italian stallion (obviously bears no resembelance to my design brief):

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I'm of the opinion that you still need to work on the user friendliness part a bit. Or maybe I'm just a dummy. (Is that dumbie in Australia, or something else entirely?)

What is Liberty/Legacy size?

Too many door options, it's confusing. (To me, anyway.)

I agree with you on squashed tops. The HHR and Chrysler 300 have drawn numerous negative comments in this regard. The Volt looks to suffer from the same problem, and dare I say, the Camaro? Still, have you considered that you're just too tall and maybe should opt for a convertible?

I'm thinking the trend toward higher belt lines is to make it easier to do well in side impact collisions. Couple this with low roof lines and you end up with gun slots instead of windows.

V8s will be effectively dead here with the new CAFE standards being implemented. Couple that with high fuel prices and the resultant loss of full size pickup sales, and V8s will become increasingly rare. A few niche performance vehicles will have them, and little else. People in the future will regard V6s as "big".

I agree 100% on oversized wheels. It's all about style over function, but people will come to their senses eventually, IMO.

I hope this helps, or at least doesn't make things worse.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
As you said, pillar less doors. T-Tops. One piece tail lamps. Bench seats. Blacked out A pillars. Logos unique to the car (i.e Corvette flags, Firebird). Digital gauges. The ones from the 80s may have sucked, but if they were done right they could be really cool.

I know some of those things are still around, but I don't see them as much as I'd like to.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
I miss formal, notchback rooflines. OK, they were overdone and overused in the 80s, but now everyone's a curved fastback, and I can't help but think of all that lost headroom.

Another thing that's disappeared is the chrome strip down the center(re) of the hood(bonnet), probably for safety reasons. Hood ornament optional.

A bottom window line that isn't perfectly flat. Pontiac G6 is about the only car now with a curve to it.

A longer rear overhang for a bigger trunk.

A ride that doesn't transmit every imperfection in the road.

I want my 74 Fleetwood back, but with 30 mpg instead of 12.

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
Tailfins, tailfins, and more tailfins. The Darren-dip needs to come back, too. And dagmars. And panoramic windshields. And chrome in the interiors--everywhere. And for the love of god, more colors!

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
There has been a lack of lights in and on cars, GM ones especially, Cadillacs used to have so many lights inside that you could kill the battery by leaving the door open for 20 minutes, just kidding, but for example, my 1978 Eldorado has...

red and white door warning and courtesy lights
lights in each kick panel
a map light in the dash
illuminated ashtray in the dash, passenger door and in each rear armrest
courtesy lights in each rear sail panel
a light in the door handle to illuminate the door lock at night,
illuminated thermometer in the driver side rear view mirror
opera lights on the outer sail panels
fiber optic light monitors on each fender and one above the rear window

Compare that to some of the expensive cars today that sometimes dont even have lights in the front doors at all.

·
Premium Member
18,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tailfins, tailfins, and more tailfins. The Darren-dip needs to come back, too. And dagmars. And panoramic windshields. And chrome in the interiors--everywhere. And for the love of god, more colors!
My friends uncle got the hint, everything but the pillarless doors!

From Here

·
Banned
17,572 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts