GM Inside News Forum banner

V-8 RWD or I-4 FWD in same car; which would you buy?

• V-8 RWD; more power less mpg's?

Votes: 30 61.2%
  • I-4 FWD; less power more mpg's?

Votes: 19 38.8%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If you went to a dealer and you saw a V-8 RWD car/truck/SUV and right next to it a I-4 FWD version of the same vehicle at the same price, what would you buy? Given the I-4 has better mileage (lets say 20-25%) and less power (lets say a 30-40%).

I used the differences between the I-4FWD and V-6AWD Vue as a baseline (2008).
_______________I-4FWD____________(3,6L)V-6AWD_______________% Difference
MPG Combined____22____________________18____________________18.2% for the I-4
Horsepower______169___________________252____________________32.9% for the V-6

So, I figure my guesstimations to be fair.

I'd buy the V-8. I love the power and the ability to get away from other hazardous drivers quickly.

·
Premium Member
2,431 Posts
Outside of small cars, I'd get the V-8.
In a truck, V-8 gas or diesel only.

Look at it from a loading perspective, generally speaking a typical 4cyl vs V-8 in a heavier vehicle doesn't net much improvement in fuel economy.

Our V-8 4x4 SUV weighs more, can tow more and yet it gets better fuel economy than my brother-in-laws V-6 FWD minivan. Both are 2007s. In the mountains there is no contest, we run away even with a small trailer.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
If it was my one and only car that I had to drive everyday I would just get the I4. I personally dont feel the need to have that kind of power just going to and from work. The I4 does everything that I need to do just fine. Now if I had boats or a trailer I would change this, but I dont so I will stick with my I4.

Now if this were a second car or weekend/sunny day driver thats a whole different story.

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
Ya might oughtta specify if it's smaller car (Alpha, Camaro, etc) or bigger car (Zeta, Pickup)...

I'm partial to small sixes though...

But I voted 4cyl because so much of my driving is done at low speeds on city surface streets. When I'm on the highway, 9 times out of 10 I've got my kids with me, so I'm driving the speed limit, über-safely.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
I chose the FWD 4 cyl only because I need the fuel economy it provides. The beauty of my Cobalt is that it is a lot quicker than most economy cars it competes with and it can get well over 30 MPG.

Based purely on driving enjoyment I'd probably take a RWD V8 like my GTO. ;)

·
Registered
185 Posts
I voted for the V8, but after thinking about it...who says the I4 can't have power? I had 60lb injectors on my LSJ ION RL and was still getting 30+mpg while maxing out at 22psi...

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
I am looking forward to driving a V-8 Zeta chassis vehicle as my next car. The only questions will be which brands and which style, coupe or sedan. If I had to for gas prices, I would buy a Zeta with a smaller engine.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ya might oughtta specify if it's smaller car (Alpha, Camaro, etc) or bigger car (Zeta, Pickup)...

I'm partial to small sixes though...

But I voted 4cyl because so much of my driving is done at low speeds on city surface streets. When I'm on the highway, 9 times out of 10 I've got my kids with me, so I'm driving the speed limit, über-safely.
I thought of it, but decided not to as that would be an area that is flexible to the person voting. Some would like a mid sized car while others want a SUV and others would want a compact. This is information I am looking at to see what consumers want. Power seems to be on the list everywhere. Even most of the guys that voted for the I-4 still want the power.

My question is would a 252hp I-4 get better mileage than a 252hp V-6 in the same vehicle? Look at the Vue for instance; probably not.

But, maybe a 2.0L Turbo I-4 in the Malibu would get better mileage than the 3.6L it has now. Just a thought.

I voted for the V8, but after thinking about it...who says the I4 can't have power? I had 60lb injectors on my LSJ ION RL and was still getting 30+mpg while maxing out at 22psi...

Nice, now I really want to boost my wifes Ion!!! How much for a supercharger and where can I get one? She's got a 2.2L.

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
My question is would a 252hp I-4 get better mileage than a 252hp V-6 in the same vehicle? Look at the Vue for instance; probably not.
I get it now. I really base things on driveability more than outright economy. That's why I have mixed feelings about cars like my BMW. While there are few sweeter sounds than hearing that M-engine spinning up to 7 grand, it's also torque-poor at low rpms. That's where I like cars like my son's Diesel Jetta, which can scoot from 70 to 90mph with only a blip on the tacho, and is impervious to steep hills.

The more I drive Diesels, the more I like them.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Nice, now I really want to boost my wifes Ion!!! How much for a supercharger and where can I get one? She's got a 2.2L.
You can get a new Eaton TVS through Harrop in Australia shortly. Much better than the stock M62 on the LSJs...problem is you need to build the engine up if it is a 2.2L

The 2.0L LSJs had forged internals except for the pistons so they were meant to handle a lot of boost.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You can get a new Eaton TVS through Harrop in Australia shortly. Much better than the stock M62 on the LSJs...problem is you need to build the engine up if it is a 2.2L

The 2.0L LSJs had forged internals except for the pistons so they were meant to handle a lot of boost.

Hmm, That sucks. What is I ran a stock M62 unit at only 7-8 psi? Could I push it up to 10 you think and upgrade the injectors?

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Assuming I had the money, I'd take the eight.....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts