GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More info at link includes CTS review by the author

Women have become increasingly influential when it comes to the automotive world, in everything from car design to advertising campaigns to what happens when you show up at the dealership. So what do women really want when buying a new car? And how are automakers responding to this turning tide?

According to "Marketing to Women" author Marti Barletta, women seek more advice from an auto authority (57 percent) before buying a new car; they spend more time in the purchasing process than men (17 weeks versus 15) and women shop at an average of three dealerships for best price and treatment.

In Judith E. Nichols' book, "Understanding the Increasing Affluence of Women," she says in the majority of U.S. households women bring in half or more of the income and women control about 80 percent of household spending, including new car purchases.

What women want

"Women want the same things as men, but they want more," said Ford's Sheryl Connelly, the company's chief marketing office manager for global trends and futuring. "For example, they want performance, package and design, but they also want safety and more features. We are taking that into consideration in all of our new products."

Marketing to women, is definitely different, Connelly said. "Men respond to things and women respond to people," she noted. "It isn't that men won't respond to people, but women just respond differently. So, we look at this in the types and ways we advertise."

Michael Albano of GM's global design group says women's influence in the automotive market has hit an all-time high, noting 85 percent of all vehicle sales decisions are influenced by women with women buying 45 percent of all vehicles. (This information is based on car registration numbers only and does not reflect households where vehicles are shared.)

A female touch

Albano says when it comes to car interiors; GM pays particular attention to details in trim, fabric, colors and compartments, shapes and positioning of controls. "And then, of course, storage is a big deal to women buyers whether it's room for groceries, handbags, kids' toys, foldable seats or built-in car booster seats," he added.

As for exteriors, "women want great designs, but they also don't want to compromise on safety and efficiency," Albano noted. "So we pay particular attention to proportions and stance, including the wheel-to-body relationship."

In fact, many of GM's top design engineers are women: several female engineers (along with the guys too, of course), worked together to design the new Cadillac CTS, which was named Motor Trend's 2008 Car of the Year.

Liz Pilibosian, chief engineer for the 2008 Cadillac CTS, said she believes "when you make a car for a woman, you are going to satisfy everybody."

Pilibosian said female engineers at GM don't just work on interiors. "We have women working on the power train, electric systems, control systems and vibration. All of our women are very hands-on types who aren't afraid of touching anything or taking it apart or putting it back together. They are passionate about cars."
More at link: http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayoflife/03/14/women.car.design/index.html

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
That'd be my dream......to marry a gearhead...haha

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
If men respond to things and women respond to people, why do they have women engineers designing the things? I think the whole premise of the article is ridiculously sexist, but if it is true, GM's women employees should be serving up lattes and displaying paint chips in the showroom, and leaving the left brain stuff to the knuckle-dragging neanderthalic men.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Liz Pilibosian, chief engineer for the 2008 Cadillac CTS, said she believes "when you make a car for a woman, you are going to satisfy everybody."
I thought the say was "You can sell a woman a man's car, but you can't sell a man a woman's car." The New Beetle, with its built in bud vase, is an excellent example.

By the way, this article was written by a female. Go figure. I really hate how men are more and more being portrayed as incompetent and unable to handle basic situations. Just watch almost any commercial on tv. It's almost always women doing the talking, and they aren't shy about taking stabs at men. Damn femi-nazis.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
I thought the say was "You can sell a woman a man's car, but you can't sell a man a woman's car." The New Beetle, with its built in bud vase, is an excellent example.

By the way, this article was written by a female. Go figure. I really hate how men are more and more being portrayed as incompetent and unable to handle basic situations. Just watch almost any commercial on tv. It's almost always women doing the talking, and they aren't shy about taking stabs at men. Damn femi-nazis.
and as soon as a guy says something about a woman......off to sensitivity camp for you!!!!

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
I really hate how men are more and more being portrayed as incompetent and unable to handle basic situations. Just watch almost any commercial on tv. It's almost always women doing the talking, and they aren't shy about taking stabs at men. Damn femi-nazis.
I feel the exact same. I refuse to watch most American sitcoms because of their atrocious portrayal of the father figure. That awful Tim the Toolman whatever its called is the absolute worst. Not only do those stupid mullet-headed, back-talking, smart-mouthed kids need a good slap to the mouth, but the wife is portrayed as the glue that holds everything together. I refuse to let my kids watch shows like this.

And as liberal as I may be, I'm also ready to start a mass campaign to destroy feminists. Nature has imbued men and women each with strengths and weaknesses. American culture has stripped men of their strengths and wrongly assumed that any and all women could step in and fill the void. This is a nation of little boys locked in perpetual adolescence. And it's taken its toll from an elevated rate of sexual- and violent-based crimes, to the overal sense of irresponsibility of this culture as a whole. Just look here on GMI.... how many of these guys moan about CAFE and such for no other reason that it gets in the way of them playing with their big toys. I'm not saying that to offend or judge anyone, but just to make a point of the ill-effects of a society where men are stripped of their natural instincts. I've contended countless times the obsession with big huge trucks, SUV's and muscle cars is because they've become overt, cartoonish symbols of a fake masculinity. It's the only place left in society where men can express their masculinity without having the Pink Police castigate them.

I remember years ago channel-flipping and hearing the following blurb on Lifetime television...

Next up on Lifetime, China Beach. Where the men do the fighting, but the women are the real heroes.

I wanted to kick my TV.

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
and as soon as a guy says something about a woman......off to sensitivity camp for you!!!!
Maybe I'm lucky chakis. Or my wife is. Hell I think we both are. I ask her what on Earth made her fall for a sawed-off, ****y, arrogant, egotistical, bombastic, nit-picking, critical, control-freak such as myself.

Her answer: she said I was one of the few men she'd ever met who wasn't afraid to be a man. And wasn't afraid not to be.

(she just got a big smooch from me!)

I'm a Neanderthal when I need or want to be, and I'm soft and sensitive when I need or want to be. I never got men who felt they HAD to be the former all the time and never be the latter. That just doesn't sit right with me. I've always felt men who were overtly Neanderthal were, erm, compensating for some hidden demon.

I have fun picking out furniture with her. I help her organise dinner parties, birthday parties, and events for entertaining clients. I'm involved in everything she enjoys (thankfully she's not big on shopping!). I do the cooking around here, the laundry, and much of the cleaning, while she's adept at laying tile and floating sheetrock.

But she's decidedly anti-feminist. She's über-Earth mother, coddling the children and giving them unconditional love, while mean ol' Daddy has to mete out the discipline (which I do consistently, and with no compunction). My wife NEVER disputes my discipline in front the children. I serve as protector of my family, and will stoop to the most primitive acts in order to do so. Although my wife and I make important family decisions together, my children see Dad as the leader.

I get unholy amounts of flak from more "enlightened" friends and relatives, saying my daughter will grow to become some phlegm-hound with no self esteem, and my sons will abuse their future partners. Hogwash.

But when they start their s***, we manage to shut them down in short order, pointing out not only our successful marriage but our bright and well-behaved children and our overall happy family life.

It's a shame that in this day and age, we're in the minority...

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I don't know a lot about what women want in a car....but I'll have whatever the chick that drives the white 79 T/A around my neighborhood is having:yup::D. If only more women were like that :(.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Since when have women cared about performance? And when did women start making more than men?
I'm not sure when, but it happened. My GF know more about cars than most guys(and makes more $$$). She knows exactly what she wants in a car! My GF is all about the performance, After going from her GTP to her SS she is very much ready to step back up in performance. But now that gas is really going up and she has a decent drive to work, she is changing what she is looking at. She really likes the GTI's, we might go check them out tomarrow.

You don't think we live in the lap of luxury based on my pissant professor salary do you? It's my wife rakin' in the dough...

:D
Dude, you too?:eek:

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Since when have women cared about performance? And when did women start making more than men?

I happened to just recently left a company, a rather large, well known company.....that made it MUCH easier to get promoted if you were a female or a minority. I can't tell you how many times (at least 5-10 in a couple years) where seemingly skilled applicants applied for a position and EVERY SINGLE TIME, if a woman or minority was an applicant, they got the job. We had a middle aged caucasian that was educated, well spoken, and handled his job very well (he even did a lot of training of new people) that just stopped applying for positions because he was passed up for a promotion by people that seemed less qualified (at least to myself and him and our immediate co-workers.)

I know this is a bit off topic, but it is frustrating.

One thing I did take from the article...What women want in a car....is EVERYTHING!

·
Premium Member
35,908 Posts
If men respond to things and women respond to people, why do they have women engineers designing the things? I think the whole premise of the article is ridiculously sexist, but if it is true, GM's women employees should be serving up lattes and displaying paint chips in the showroom, and leaving the left brain stuff to the knuckle-dragging neanderthalic men.
Thank you, I take that as the highest compliment. :)

BTW, us Neanderthals use both lobes with equal facility.
That's how we've survived so much longer than the feeble homo-saps ever will.
That's why our cranial castles are larger than the wannabee homo-saps'.

As for this:

Well, Liz, is that why so many guys are driving pink Mary Kay cars?

You are correct, Hoosier.
This article was written to sell articles and books. Much of it is nonsense. They don't even 'splain why so many car saleshomies smell like cigarettes and alcohol.

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
I thought the say was "You can sell a woman a man's car, but you can't sell a man a woman's car."
Thats is what I always thought along with "You can sell a young man's car to an old man, but you can't sell a young man an old man's car."

But then, a "womans" car is not pink with dainty touches. It is one that is safe, reasonably priced that performs as many tasks as possible in a given price/package. Other than price GM makes these cars - they are Saabs which have high safety ratings (although GM never mentions it) with great styling (except for the 9-5) IMO that ride and drive great with good utility (although that too has been compromised). GM can make a good "womans" car in a Saab that is priced more in line with it's competitors - does'nt sound like a bad deal. Saab lovers don't get bent out of shape about the "woman's" car tag - it is meant as a compliment and maybe GM will start making real Saabs again, with great looks, safety ratings, fun to drive with the surprising utility the old Saabs delivered - but at a reasonable price.

I really hate how men are more and more being portrayed as incompetent and unable to handle basic situations. Just watch almost any commercial on tv. It's almost always women doing the talking, and they aren't shy about taking stabs at men. Damn femi-nazis.
I miss the VW commercial when the guy tells his girlfriend to stop "all that yakkin". It was funny and we have all wanted to say that, trouble is women have not yet realized to become truly equal you have to be able to make fun of yourself sometimes and most times these type commercials are just that and should not be taken seriously.

Men are more than capable of doing all tasks needed in the real world, just look at the military, men in armies have had to feed, house and take care of needed medical problems along with fighting in hostile environments - and they have been doing it for centuries.

Problem is neither side wants to give enough credit or "room" for each side to reach each individuals potential - there are plenty of good female engineers out there as there are men that can out cook women (just to name two).

Hopefully in time we will all be judged on what we can each do and not by what we are.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Sounds very stereotypical. My mother drives a top of the line Chevy TrailBlazer 4WD. She has leather, the navigation system, and the DVD system, and she could care less about any of those features. All she cared about was the 4WD, but we got a good price on it.

T-Rex, I think you hit the nail on the head for the most part. I want to point out though that I would argue that hypermasculinity is, indeed, innate instinct. There are some cultures in the world where sex roles are reversed between men and women. Read a little about Margaret Mead and her observations of the Chambri, Mundugumor, and other New Guinea tribes. It's an interesting read, if nothing else.

But as for cars, I think it's safe to say that it is in the automaker's best interest to appeal to both sexes. As someone pointed out earlier "You can sell a woman a "man's" car, but you cannot sell a man a "woman's" car. I disagree with gendering of cars, but you can't ignore sales numbers sometimes.

This just reminds me of when the last generation Grand Am came out. They lauded the SE models with the horrid ribbing as marketed for the female population, and the GT trim level with it's Trojan-esque ribbing as the "man's" car.

A reviewer went home to his wife and said the SE was hideous and the GT was nice. It's funny, because almost every person I see driving a Grand Am is a woman, especially the GT models. High school girls with fuzzy steering wheel covers and their Miley Cyrus blaring.

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
I see the same thing.
I hate that....like oh, men won't remember to eat dinner if there wasn't a woman around because we are bumbling idiots who don't think about anything except beating the hell out of each other.

Honestly...I see that in advertising and often in citcoms.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I see the same thing.
I hate that....like oh, men won't remember to eat dinner if there wasn't a woman around because we are bumbling idiots who don't think about anything except beating each other up.
:lmao:That reminds me of the Family Guy episode where Lois goes to prison for shoplifting, and Peter and the kids are helpless. The house is trashed, Peter hasn't shaved in a week, and Stewie's diaper was dragging on the ground because no one changed it. He goes "I haven't eaten in four days because, well...I can't fit anymore doody in my diaper!"

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
Since they decided to infiltrate once male dominated fields....then suddenly guys like me noticed that I don't have tits and I don't fill a quota, therefor I am a dime a dozen. It's not that they are any better or worse at anything...it's that the frat and buddy system is being replaced by the f-ck buddy system when it's time for promotions.

I wouldn't get the opposite treatment if I was in a female dominated field. I'd be treated like crap by women who love the idea of ordering a guy around. I knew a guy that went to nursing school told me about all the politics and everything and how it's worse than in my business, which is pretty friggin bad.

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
T Rex, you are a professor? What school if you don't mind my asking?

:lmao:That reminds me of the Family Guy episode where Lois goes to prison for shoplifting, and Peter and the kids are helpless. The house is trashed, Peter hasn't shaved in a week, and Stewie's diaper was dragging on the ground because no one changed it. He goes "I haven't eaten in four days because, well...I can't fit anymore doody in my diaper!"
I think it's the motherly instinct that is in most women that causes this behavior.

I play that all the time to get my girlfriend to cook dinner for me, so I guess I am contributing to the problem.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts