GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Buick allegedly gaining a crossover to slot between Encore and Enclave.
www.GMInsideNews.com
June 26, 2013
By: Nick Saporito

2013 Buick Enclave

In recent weeks spy shots of a swoopy looking crossover have surfaced, allegedly of an upcoming Buick that insiders claim wears the name “Anthem.” As typical, much speculation has arisen since the spy shots came out, including whether or not the alleged Anthem is even intended for the North American market, or if it will be reserved exclusively for Buick’s lucrative Chinese market.

GMI has since been able to clear up some of the speculation surrounding the Anthem crossover, including that it will be built off of GM’s global compact architecture, also known as “Delta.” The size of the crossover in the spy shots seems to validate it’s alleged foundation dimensionally, and it has been well-known that GM intends to reduce the number of platforms it utilizes globally in effort to reduce development costs.

Building the Anthem on the Delta platform would likely net a crossover that is--size wise--positioned right between the recently launched Encore and the significantly larger Enclave. Buick would essentially be covering all crossover bases with the three prong approach.

Additionally, every indication is that the Anthem will indeed be sold in both North America and China under the Buick nameplate. According to sources familiar with GM product planning, the Anthem will most likely begin production in mid-2014 as a 2015 model in both North America and China, with the Chinese launch being a bit behind the North American launch.

As the case with most shared Buicks between North America and China, the Anthem will likely utilize different engines on both continents. GMI has not been able to confirm specifics regarding engines for the Anthem, however we have a hunch that GM’s well-known 2.5 and 2.0-turbo four-cylinders will be involved, at least in North America.

So, why is Buick allegedly gaining another crossover when they already have two? According to the Wall Street Journal, crossover sales are up nearly 14-percent so far this year, and most analysts are predicting even larger surges in sales of small crossovers in the future. Couple crossover success with Buick’s resurgent brand image, and a midsize crossover may flow right into the Buick anthem, pun intended.

As for the name, GMI has been told for the last year that Anthem was the finalized marketing name for this Buick, but nothing is final until its actually revealed.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Can't wait to see what Buick makes to this crossover. It should give Buick more profits for new cars like a GN or something in that neighborhood.

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
I think it's obvious why Buick needs mid-sizer. We have the giant Enclave and tiny Encore. The demand is there and well-priced Buick should excel.

Before this turns into a thread about cannibalization of other crossovers within GM, Buick is their own brand with their own needs. The Anthem has nothing to do with the Terrain, SRX or Nox. Assuming that someone will want to simply pick up another GM mid-sizer is erroneous at best. GM has three Lambdas and all of them sell extremely well without conflicting with each another.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Aren't the next gen Equinox and Terrain going on Delta? Sounds like this might give us a sneak peek at what to expect from those vehicles.

I don't blame GM for adding another crossover. If the market is that hot and Buick has room in their lineup, then I say go for it. I just hope it's differentiated enough from the rest of GM's portfolio.

IMO, "Anthem" is a better name for a Buick flagship vehicle that sets the tone for the brand, not a mid sized crossover. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Good, I'm glad to see that hole in the line plugged. Hopefully it is a tad bit smaller than the Equinox/Terrain (not a lot smaller, just a little bit) but yet significantly bigger than the Encore. If they can keep the curb weight down to 3600-3700 for FWD and 3800-3900 for AWD, the 2.5 for a base engine and 2.0 turbo for the uplevel engine would be fine. HOPEFULLY by then GM will have an 8 speed automatic available to bump up fuel economy 1-2 more?

Oh, and take a page out of the Encores book, give it 18" or 19" wheels STANDARD across the board...the uplevel trims can get a different design or finish, but if you think it looks good with one size, give EVERY version that size.

·
Premium Member
News Contributor
5,624 Posts
Aren't the next gen Equinox and Terrain going on Delta? Sounds like this might give us a sneak peek at what to expect from those vehicles.
Also, GM has also extended the Trademark for Granite. What are the chances the Terrain name might be replaced by Granite? Along with the general design of the concept utilized on the new Delta platform GMC.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I don't expect it to be an X1 or X3 fighter, but here's hoping GM gives it enough sport to go up against the Titanium Escape.
In terms of handling and styling, maybe. But, as far as mechanical tech, I think this needs to blow away what the Escape is right now. This is going to be coming out what----3 years after the current escape is on the market? It needs at LEAST the following if it is launching still 1-1.5 years from now:

-if it is going to have the 2.5 and 2.0t, the 2.5 must have all the updates that the new Malibu has...including start-stop.

-8 speed automatic, get it in this car if you still have over a year

-no black plastic strips below the headlights, or ugly fog light covers (like the Encore has the strips and the Equinox and many others have ugly fog light covers) Its 2013, how about designing a vehicle without fog lights at all, give the upscale models the 'row of leds' and the models below nothing (integrate the body with where they would go)

-No tiny/ugly wheels on the 'entry level model' As someone mentioned above, do what you did with the Encore---one wheel size and one tire available, and then design the handing dynamics of the vehicle around that exact combination. If you want, give a different desing of a wheel for upscale trims, but that is it.

-Get everything lined up so you can launch ALL models and ALL trims with ALL engine choices at the same time.

-Finally, when you do finally decide to leak pictures, or announce it is coming, or show it off at the auto show, have it ready to be on dealer lots within 6 months (or less) of that time. Don't tell us about it, give us some information, then make loyal GM customers and fans wait a year or more for the chance to buy it.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Re: What We Know – Alleged Buick Anthem Crossover

Is this going to be on the same Delta platform as the Orlando or the new D2 platform?

I keep saying this and I will say it again. A C segment CUV beggs for Voltec. Buick would be a great brand to carry a CUV Voltec model.

Also, GM has also extended the Trademark for Granite. What are the chances the Terrain name might be replaced by Granite? Along with the general design of the concept utilized on the new Delta platform GMC.
If I recall the Granite concept was on Gamma II (Encore sized). The next generation Terrain will most likely be on the D2 platform.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Yes, that is the plan. The next gen Lambdas are supposed to get a little smaller too.
I've heard that they are getting smaller too, but I really can't understand why. The Theta twins seem to be a decent sized vehicle as-is. I am sure it has more to do with FE than anything else. I don't think the twins need to grow in size, that's what the Lambdas are for... Americans as a whole aren't getting any slimmer, so let's make the vehicles smaller... Yeah that makes a lot of sense.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.