GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Was browsing through NetCarShow.com when I came across a gallery for the Pontiac Grand Prix "G-Force" concept......as you can see, it's not all that dissimilar from the final edition of the Grand Prix, save for a slightly smoother exterior, smoked tail lamps and better wheels. The interior is where this concept & it's production examples differ....it might be the color palette (which isn't the best BTW...), but this one looks somewhat smoother/softer--done up to an almost Malibu-like quality.

·
Registered
17,579 Posts
This is palate:

you were probably thinking about "palette":

Still, the GP was a handsome car on the outside, but even in tan the interior just looks bad and old, especially the centre stack. The hideous overabundance of vents doesn't help either - but even a slight rehash (read: integration) of the central console could have helped...

·
Registered
17,579 Posts
Actually, the ill-advised last "redo" of the interior was what really killed GP's chances as a modern, relevant vehicle. The previous interior had all the "old GM" Fisher-Price flair and "molten plastic" look, but the basic layout was rather good and appealing, and it only needed a "back to the future" redo in the BMW mold (more straight lines, less "bulging") and it could've aged much more gracefully:

2002 40th Anniversary Edition Pictured

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Actually, the ill-advised last "redo" of the interior was what really killed GP's chances as a modern, relevant vehicle. The previous interior had all the "old GM" Fisher-Price flair and "molten plastic" look, but the basic layout was rather good and appealing, and it only needed a "back to the future" redo in the BMW mold (more straight lines, less "bulging") and it could've aged much more gracefully:

2002 40th Anniversary Edition Pictured
Can we say "tacky" ?? Damn! :barf:

I think the design/layout of the interior was fundamentally sound.....it worked well, but needed more attention as far as fit/finish was concerned--which the G-Force concept seemed to have.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
I've read that the next G8 (G 9? make it 'Grand Prix' !) will be designed and built in the US vs. a Commodore nose clip rebadge...if so, that, plus Welburn's comments that they are devising a sleek new feline look for Pontiac, makes me hopeful that it will be both futuristic and aggressive and sleek vs. retro, say borrowing design elements from the 68 GTO Welburn mentioned (like the blacked out front end and swoopy rear fenders) but giving them a potent 21st century edge. I keep wondering if the V-shaped hood and prow of the 70's era Grand Prix might make a come back.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the whole 2004 redesign was just crap

The 1997-2003 car was very simple, elegant and the car sold well.
Save for the interior issues that Bravada pointed out, I agree w/ya. This concept though (dated 2002?) is the best the final version could've (and should've) been though.

·
Banned
2,364 Posts
A Civic is a Civic. Camry becomes a new Camry. only Red Ink Rick and company would intentionally throw away what brand equity they were unable to destroy. now ask yourself why? G3, G5, G6, G8... Gee fu4kduog willickers! how long will this sound asleep set of shareholers, and in fact nation, continue to put up with this idiot?

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
The whole problem with the last-gen Grand Prix was that GM stuck to the "blobby" style theme that was beyond outdated by 2003. The taillights were cheap and tacky looking, and the rather nice greenhouse didn't match the blobby bodywork; as though the roof from one design of car was grafted onto the lower body of another design. It was just a styling nightmare no matter how you break it down.

I agree about the dashboard though. I always liked the layout of GP dashes, but the materials and protrusions just completely ruined what would have otherwise been a well-designed dash.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. GM should have scrapped the W-body (except for Chevy) back in the 90s and worked with Holden on producing some kickass RWD midsizers for North America. Had GM not just handed the midsize sedan market (which GM ruled until the Taurus showed up) to its competition on a silver platter, I think the company would be in a stronger position today. A dynamically good platform, stylish body with quality interior materials would have kept many buyers from fleeing to imports over the years.

Again, I just believe Pontiac should go. It has served its purpose valiantly for 80-odd years, but I believe the next round of Northamericanized Holdens should go to Chevy. Let the G8 and Solstice be Pontiac's swansong. I'd rather see it go out with a bang than a whimper.

·
Registered
8,969 Posts
Pontiac blew it with the GP after the very successful 97'-03' model year. When the 97’ model year came out it was thought of as much more aggressive than the previous model which is exactly what it needed to be. Chevy already had the more bland and cheaper Impala so the GP added much more aggressive looks along with additional features for a couple grand more than the equivalent Chevy.

Once the redesigned 04’ was released it was apparent that instead of it being more aggressive than the previous model Pontiac did the exact wrong thing by softening the car and trying to make it all things to all people which turned off the Pontiac loyalists. They got rid of the coupe and tried to make the 4 door look like a coupe which also ruined the usefulness of the back seat.

By the time Pontiac realized they screwed up, the GXP was too late to help people overlook the design and ergonomic flaws built into the latest redesign. This might be one of the biggest design gaffs GM has pulled without fixing in the last 20 years. The GP used to be a huge seller and great money-maker for Pontiac and instead it has turned into one more nail in the Pontiac coffin.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
I agree that it looks better and "smoother", not unlike the Bonneville GXP versus any other (except a 2005 SLE, same thing)

I agree the GP was screwed up pretty well by GM...there's tons of '07-03' Grand Prix's

·
Registered
17,579 Posts
1. I disagree about the "RWD is panaceum" thing. Sure, Chrysler's got RWD, but they are about the only one. The problem was not in FWD/RWD...

2. The problem was that GM had a RIDICLOUS number of car platforms, and a clone of every car in every division, and yet a completely unrelated set of Saturns on top of that heap...

3. And then, if they actually decided to keep some of those platforms going, they could've at least given them a SERIOUS update, not a token one which confined their destiny to fleet duty.

4. The last GP redesign was a much-needed and skillful one on the outside. While the Century/Regal got by far the upper hand the last time around, Buick got completely screwed with the LaX, while the GP was suddenly propelled from mid-1990s (however neat, I love the 1990s and the GP is one of my favorites) to present. The problem is that, with the exception of Impala, all the interior re-dos were totally hopeless, and the hopeless build quality was carried over.

Back to the 80s!

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
but like wasn't the Monsoon system the one to have?

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
but the GTP Comp. G was like the 3800 Supercar

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
It doesn't have the tacky body side moldings--that makes all the difference right there. Let's face it: Pontiac has made some solid attempts in the last decade, but their best falls miserably short where it matters most. And that's not about to change any time soon.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Am I the only one here that loves the 2004-2008 GP design? lol

·
Super Moderator
18,180 Posts
I agree that it looks better and "smoother", not unlike the Bonneville GXP versus any other (except a 2005 SLE, same thing)

I agree the GP was screwed up pretty well by GM...there's tons of '07-03' Grand Prix's

Woah! WTF? That is the first time I have ever seen a rear shot of a Bonneville. It looks pretty nice. Why did they kill it?

I'm guessing the G8 slotted in, but hell, that is a nice car. :yup:

As fo the GP, I agree that the netcarshow pic is nice, but in reality, the production model didn't stray that far did it? It just looks lowered and cleaned up.

On a side note, t-rex comment about the turret/greenhouse being on the wrong car is always a terrible indicator of how old a platform is. Whilst it is arguable whether or not regular people can identify that it is mainly a fender job, I think the cohesiveness (or lack of it) is apparent, to even the untrained eye.

My wagon is the last of the V car platform (1997-2006) and you can see where the delineation (in design language) is.

There has to be some way around that problem, to make refreshes look more complete.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
I bought a nearly new '94 Grand Prix in '95 and really loved it. I bought it with 18k miles and gave it away with 212k miles on it just last year. I fell in love with the '97 GP's when they came out and eventually bought a brand new 4dr GT in '01. If it wasn't for the squeaks and rattles and from nearly day one were worse than my '94 with 200k miles on it I'd love it even more. My only other complaint would be the inefficient A/C compressor they used which causes it to such gas with the A/C on.

When they came out with the '04 models I was very interested to see them. Since I first saw one in person (or in pictures) I've never wanted to upgrade. I don't like how they look and they actually seemed a step backward in the interior, especially the back seat. If they could bump up the gas mileage on a G8 I'd LOVE to have one of those. They look great inside and out and would more easily accomodate the 3 car seats in the back of my GP since it is slightly wider. If they ever offer the G8 with the 6-speed auto and a small diesel it would be almost imposible to resist. For those of use that also love the GP for the low end torque of the 3800 the diesel would only be better.

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
I always wondered what might have been had GM purchased Fiat and then rebadged Alfa Romeos in North America as Pontiacs.

For example, the new Grand Prix.

The Solstice's big brother:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts