GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What should Pontiac offer as the eventual replacement for the Sunfire? Vibe sales push manufacturing limits dangerously close to capacity -- this would leave a hole where the Sunfire sales were.

I kinda like the idea of a G6 that has been "decontented" to the point similar to the "1SV" version of the Cavalier that sells for 10,000 dollars. And it could use the 140 hp Ecotec 4 cylinder without using the name "G6" which is strange (the G6 4cyl. could always be the 170hp Ecotec if needed).... Considering the low price of the 1SV Cavalier, a "G4" could go for 4 thousand less than a G6, and could do double duty as an entry coupe and a rental fleet vehicle. (You know its gonna happen anyway...:))
This "G4" as a stripper G6 could be a good blank canvas for the "Tunerz" we know are out there. They would have a supercharger and all the other 2.2L Ecotec mods available to them. The only potential problem would be keeping the weight down since the Malibu/G6 are larger cars. Hopefully the coupe can achieve some weight loss. I'm not sure what the 1SV Cavalier actually cuts out to keep the cost down, but I assume you lack fabric here and there, less insulation perhaps, lighter weight seat fabric or (gasp) vinyl, no auto windows or heated mirrors that kind of thing.

NSAP's photochop of a Chevy Optra-based Pontiac entry vehicle (I expect it would sell at around 12-13K, above the Aveo, but below the Vibe):

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forum/index.ph...?showtopic=3830

·
Registered
356 Posts
pontiac needs to establish itself as an upper-level brand by eliminating any little entry-level cars. The vibe can stay, but Pontiac does not need its own Cobalt. Chevy has done a great job with that car, but Pontiac simply doesn't need it.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I don't think it should get another entry-level. The Vibe works good alone. At worst a all-new sheetmetal Cobalt... NO Optra-based!!! No cheap imports for Pontiac, as this would quickly dilute the image they are trying to build, at least not at the moment.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by Hunter@Feb 9 2004, 08:47 PM
pontiac needs to establish itself as an upper-level brand by eliminating any little entry-level cars. The vibe can stay, but Pontiac does not need its own Cobalt. Chevy has done a great job with that car, but Pontiac simply doesn't need it.
yeah, what he said! it's looking bad for pontiac up here (over here! north of the border!)... what with the wave on it's way. take that back GM... that was rude and uncalled for! i know canadians drive more small cars than americans... but a pontiac aveo? firefly (aka metro/swift) never sold well... that market should be left to chevrolet.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by cyboexpo2002@Feb 9 2004, 08:59 PM
I don't think it should get another entry-level.  The Vibe works good alone.  At worst a all-new sheetmetal Cobalt...  NO Optra-based!!!  No cheap imports for Pontiac, as this would quickly dilute the image they are trying to build, at least not at the moment.
i've heard the argument that pontiac needs a cheaper car than the vibe... it seems like GM isn't quite willing to let pontiac drift upmarket a notch or two. i agree with you though... the vibe would be a fine starting point, though i imagine there are still a huge number of people who want a sedan or coupe. someone should photoshop a vibe into a sedan (i know, i know... it'd never be done... just out of interest sake!).

·
Registered
776 Posts
2 Words: Mini Cooper

This proves a premium brand can be successful with a small car, FWD even. Pontiac might do well to build something on par with that. Of course myself, I have no clue why people would want to pay over 20k for such a little piece of $*@#. But that's premium cars for you....built for people with more money than sense.

I think Pontiac should make the Solstice the entry level car, The GTO the middle car and a Corvette-equivalent the top-rung car. Who needs all these boring things with FWD and four doors? Drop'em all. :D

j/k but wouldn't it be cool if the "excitement division" became just that-an all sports-car lineup? The dealers would freak out, but they'd still have GMC to make tons of money off of SUV's.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by paul8488@Feb 9 2004, 05:02 PM
i imagine there are still a huge number of people who want a sedan or coupe. someone should photoshop a vibe into a sedan (i know, i know... it'd never be done... just out of interest sake!).
But it was done....it was called the Chevy Prizm, also off of the Corolla platform. :) :kama: :kama:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Originally posted by banzai79@Feb 9 2004, 11:28 PM
2 Words: Mini Cooper

This proves a premium brand can be successful with a small car, FWD even. Pontiac might do well to build something on par with that. Of course myself, I have no clue why people would want to pay over 20k for such a little piece of $*@#. But that's premium cars for you....built for people with more money than sense.

I think Pontiac should make the Solstice the entry level car, The GTO the middle car and a Corvette-equivalent the top-rung car. Who needs all these boring things with FWD and four doors? Drop'em all. :D

j/k but wouldn't it be cool if the "excitement division" became just that-an all sports-car lineup? The dealers would freak out, but they'd still have GMC to make tons of money off of SUV's.
all rwd!

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
I think that GM should build a medium sized Cavalier to roundout the family. The original, small Cavalier and the large size Cavalier (GTO) are in place. So, why not a medium sized one too?

Sorry guys. It has been a good day and I couldn't resist a little tweaking of the noses. A shameful joke. I saw Bigal's "Is anybody tired of GTO bashing" and held off as long as I could.

But seriously, how many minis are sold?
If we are talking the 5,000 car and below area, it seems to me that almost any car can meet this goal (unless they are the multi-$100,000 cars).
I like Honda's approach with holding onto core cars (like the Civic and Accord) for that broad market appeal. Chrysler has done the same with the Caravan drawing a line in the sans and saying that they are going to hold onto the lion's share of this market and backing it up with the engineering advances each year.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by Ming+Feb 9 2004, 11:40 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ming @ Feb 9 2004, 11:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-paul8488@Feb 9 2004, 05:02 PM
i imagine there are still a huge number of people who want a sedan or coupe. someone should photoshop a vibe into a sedan (i know, i know... it'd never be done... just out of interest sake!).
But it was done....it was called the Chevy Prizm, also off of the Corolla platform. :) :kama: :kama: [/b][/quote]
oh yeah! how could i forget? HOW GM managed to make a corolla even LESS interesting is beyond me!

"okay, come on guys, lets be serious... that corolla grille is WAY too flashy... try removing some of those sharp edges... THAAAAAT'S better... hmmmm... that almost says 'GEO'... lets just tone down those radical tailights... PERFECT!"

but now that we've seen GM can handle a make-over (yes, i know the vibe was intended from the beginning, not a rebadge), someone with some photoshop prowess should show us a vibe sedan. i'm a little too shaky with microscoft paint to do it :)

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Nova, your full of jokes...

anyway, that optra looks like a mitzu. Whatever it is, it needs to look fast. They can use the cobalts chassis to make a whole new car. This car needs to get a more of a G6 style to it. Something to compete with Celeca's and RSX's. This needs to be a sport compact killer. I think Pontiac can make a nice looking FWD ecotec car with some flare. Whatever it has, it cant have the pontiac twin grill. It needs to look totaly different. Something geard more twards the sport compact population. Sharp angles, tight lines.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
No vote from me because I wish GM wouldl build a coupe and sedan on the Kappa platform for Pontiac. RWD is what GM's excitement division needs to be about.
I disagree offering a G6 as a G4 with less options and smaller engine. Turners buy used cars and dress them up not brand new cars. The other alternative is for GXP versions to appeal to turners who want a warrenty instead of doing building a car.
If Pontiac dealers need a small car in the interm bring the Pursuit to the States until the expanded Solstice line is ready.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Feb 10 2004, 06:11 PM
Nova, your full of jokes...

anyway, that optra looks like a mitzu.  Whatever it is, it needs to look fast.  They can use the cobalts chassis to make a whole new car.  This car needs to get a more of a G6 style to it.  Something to compete with Celeca's and RSX's.  This needs to be a sport compact killer.  I think Pontiac can make a nice looking FWD ecotec car with some flare.  Whatever it has, it cant have the pontiac twin grill.  It needs to look totaly different.  Something geard more twards the sport compact population.  Sharp angles, tight lines.
I doubt they will make a Pontiac without the current-style grill. Also, I doubt they'd make something totally opposite of the design direction of the rest of the division. "Totally different" I predict, will be left to Chevy and Saturn. Pontiac, Buick, and Caddy will most likely have brand unity.

No vote from me because I wish GM wouldl build a coupe and sedan on the Kappa platform for Pontiac. RWD is what GM's excitement division needs to be about.
I disagree offering a G6 as a G4 with less options and smaller engine. Turners buy used cars and dress them up not brand new cars. The other alternative is for GXP versions to appeal to turners who want a warrenty instead of doing building a car.
If Pontiac dealers need a small car in the interm bring the Pursuit to the States until the expanded Solstice line is ready.
The Kappa DEFINITELY cannot be stretched that much to make a sedan. Look at how short the platform is -- at most they could squeeze a 2+2 coupe (a la the concepts built off it)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Originally posted by cyboexpo2002@Feb 10 2004, 01:15 PM

The Kappa DEFINITELY cannot be stretched that much to make a sedan. Look at how short the platform is -- at most they could squeeze a 2+2 coupe (a la the concepts built off it)
Kappa is a space frame just like what Saturn, Corvette and Fieros have been built on. A spaceframe can be easily lengthened so a sedan is a possibility on kappa.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I dont know if eny of you saw the latest AUTOLINE DETROIT but the women from GM said Kappa could be streached to become a three box sedan.I LIKE THE SOUND OF THAT!!!! :D :woot2:

·
Registered
236 Posts
The Pursiut is to badge-engineered to sell in teh States alongside the Cobalt.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Originally posted by sceltor@Feb 15 2004, 08:05 PM
The Pursiut is to badge-engineered to sell in teh States alongside the Cobalt.
What needs to be re engineered about it??? It is already a Pontiac ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Originally posted by Hunter@Feb 9 2004, 08:47 PM
I strongly disagree. GM NEEDS an entry level sporty car. If not from Pontiac, then from whom? BMW is introducing the 1-series, I think that's a mistake because BMW is a luxury brand. Pontiac is not. Pontiac is affordable. Pontiac needs an entry level car.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts