GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, it's Jason here...

Well only NSAP knows this but I haven't been able to post many messages or go on AIM a lot lately because last week on Wednesday, I got in a car accident. The other driver hit me on my back-left side and the entire rear of the car was totaled. The side-curtains inflated (trust me, they do save lives), but I didn't get whiplash because of those active head restraints. So basically, it's not worth it to repair the entire car - it costs too much and it wouldn't drive/feel exactly the same.

Well, I was planning to replace my G35 later this year or early next year, but it seems as though I have to get a new car now. Here's my criteria:

-I can spend up to 35K, but I prefer something less than 30K
-I need side-curtains
-NAV system
-leather
-automatic

Because I used to own a Volvo, my local dealership always sends me promotions on new Volvos. I got a coupon in the mail from my ex-Volvo dealership with 5K off of any new Volvo if I come back to them. So, I can get a well-equipped S40 T5 for about 27K. I was considering a 9-3 and CTS, but the 9-3 doesn't have a NAV system (I need it because I drive a lot). The CTS in base form was about 31K, but when you add the NAV system, the price jumps to 40K+ - too expensive for me.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks guys!

-Jason

·
Registered
114 Posts
Lexus IS-300
(it hurts me to say this but...)BMW 325
Mazda 6 or 3
2005 Subaru Legacy (No nav but otherwise great.)

I'd say the IS-300 looks pretty good.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Get a used 04' VW Touareg.

Definately the baddest SUV out there. B)

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While a GTO would be nice, it doesn't have a NAV system... :(

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
I second Rex's suggestion. The 300C is just plain pimpin' and they start in the mid 20's. So I'm guessing you could get a mid range version, without the HEMI, and get your nav system.

On the other hand, you could get a Bonneville or a Saab 9-3 and get an aftermarket NAV system. I'm talking about the kind that slides out and pops up only when you need it. At least it wont get all dusty and covered with fingerprints.

If you go with an aftermarket NAV system your choices really open up - and if you go with a mainstream NAV model you can get all of the software map updates and whatever else you like.

The Best choice would probably be a base CTS with aftermarket NAV.

Heck, I've seen some good leather interiors done by a local upholstery shop and they'll do a leather package for 1000 bucks on some cars and you can choose a color scheme to match the exterior paint.

The only requirement I see being a limiter on your actual choices is the side airbag option - but heck, even Sunfires started offering this, so I'm guessing its more common now - I have them on my 2000 Bonneville.

But this is just me - I love doing stuff aftermarket (except speakers - you need a really good installer you can trust for that).

I'm not big on the S40 idea, a friend owns one and it just seems overpriced for what he got.

I really like the looks of that new Saab 9-2X - pop an aftermarket NAV in that baby...

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
300 seems like a good logical choice. I'm also considering aftermarket NAV systems for a CTS - but I'm still thinking about it.

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
The Pontiac Grand Prix GTP with the Comp G package...and the good news is that a NAV system will be available for the 2005 models.

Does On-Star count as a NAV system, if so this opens up alot of other options

A Pontiac Vibe? It has a NAV system available and it's way under your target price, plus good gas milliage, which is something to consider these days.

Cadillac CTS with the nav system is running about $40,338..so yeah it's a little more, but it's a spectacular car!
Got any GM Card points?

A Saab 9-3 Aero, loaded to the gills, stickers for $38,325, and there is plenty of room to haggle. No nav, though.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
I think you should try for the CTS with the nav unit and just see what happens.

I got a call the other day from my favorite Cadillac dealership with an offer to take my 2002 Escalade and trade it for a new Escalade, and that they would pay off the remaining lease. Once I got there, I also got to use $1500 of GM Card points, a GM Card $1000 bonus, a $1000 Truckfest bonus, a $1000 "conquest" bonus (for one of my non-GM vehicles), and $500 for something else (I think it was a lease-to-lease bonus or something).

Anyway, it totaled $5000 in discounts on top of a lease special they were running.

I left the dealership with an '04 Escalade with a sunroof (my '02 didn't have a sunroof) for a monthly payment that is LOWER than the monthly payment on my CTS, which was already pretty low.

The moral of the story is: you might be tempted to go for something with a lower sticker price, but you may end up paying more than you would for the CTS you want.

...so go for it!! :woot2:

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
First, I'm glad that you are in good health.
Cars, no matter how nice, are plastic and metal and can be replaced.
I just finished dropping my daughter at O'hare and had to fight the rush hour traffic. During that one hour examination of humans, I came to a conclusion. Instead of taling about GTO's or the new Greek (alpha, kappa) platform, we should just deive in the same vehicle, painted the same color,... Maybe it is me but a guy talking on a cell phone, shoving food in his mouth and weaving through traffic is not my idea of a car afficianado.
So, your next vehicle should be a Hummer with bumpers made from angle iron and a set of flame throwers that shoot out sideways at anybody entering your space.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I really appreciate all the input from you guys. Here's two cars I priced online. Oddly, GMbuypower was not loading for me today...

2004 Chrysler 300 Limited
$33,270
3.5L SOHC 24V V6 - 250HP
*No discounts at local Chrysler dealerships.
19/27MPG
6 speaker NAV system
2004.5 Volvo S40 T5
$34,910
2.5L DOHC 20V I5 - 218HP
*5K discount at local Volvo dealership
22/31MPG
12 speaker NAV system

Tomorrow, I'm going to price a CTS again, a 9-3, and a Vibe.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
I personaly love the look of the 9-3. Something about it just looks so damn nice. I was driving next to one, and I couldnt take my eye off of it.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts

MANDEL: One word: impressive. Anyone who doesn't think the big, rear-drive American sedan is back has to plop his or her butt into this (which, by the way, is exceedingly easy thanks to cavernous door openings) and put their foot into the throttle. Unabashedly American.

I liked the car a great deal, which is not how I felt when I first saw it. More than a dozen people said, "Bentley" when they saw it on the road. My problem with it initially was its imposing size; it didn't work well in the confines of an auto show floor and it works much better on the street.

The ride is comfortable, and the car fits five comfortably, which is no small feat these days. You definitely know this car could wear a bigger price tag than it does, which is another way of saying DC is trying to give you more car for the money. Not a bad thing at all.
http://autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_co...t_code=03983159

·
Registered
82 Posts
Depending on how much power you need...
The CTS gets the 2.8L HF V6 for '05 with a 6-speed. I don't know what options you can get on that, but I'm sure it would lower the price somewhat. I'd guesstimate that you could get a CTS with the 2.8/6-speed (maybe you don't want a manual, I don't know) for $37k or so.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well today I'm going to test drive some cars and check dealer prices. Here's where I'm going today and for what:

-Chrysler: 300
-Acura: TSX
-Volvo: S40
-SAAB: 9-3
-Cadillac: CTS
-Pontiac: Vibe/Grand Prix

While I would like to get the CTS 2.8L, I can't wait that long. I need a car soon. Right now though I have a rental Ford Explorer.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
I hope you don't get a TSX - doesn't it have 160 torque or something? And for more green than a 280 torque Grand Prix... ;)

Anyway, hope you like what you get.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts