GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, on one board I read that the NASCAR Dodge's are Stratuses, however Evernham Motorsports lists the vehicle as a "Dodge RT". So what is this thing? Is it a sneak peek at the Charger? I know for sure it does not look like any Intrepid I have ever seen!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
This must have been bugging the crap out of you to post this so late at nite/early in the morning.....Ok the Dodges that race in NASCAR are indeed Intrepids-

These decal headlights might have you confuzed you, but it is a specially themed car......

Hope this helps

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
In fact, Dodge produced a 2001 (?) Intrepid with a special NASCAR package which applauded Dodge's return to NASCAR. A red Intrepid with the yellow lettered Goodyears and some motor mods, the package was only produced for this year (am I correct on this?).

I didn't know they existed until I attended a local car show and saw one on display. Again, like GM's Monte, the car is nothing like the one on the track.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Does it matter? The stupid cars don't look like production models anyway so they might as well call them Imperials. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That NASCAR grill and headlight combo is not the same AT ALL as an Intrepid.... that is why no one calls it an Intrepid any more!

Here is the Intrepid from the post above:

It is not a matter of the special paint scheme, that is the same grill/headlight combo used every week! <_<

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Actually, to correct the above posts, Dodge used the Intrepid body style for the previous years NASCAR Winston Cup Racers (2001-2003). However, for 2004 and the Nextel Cup, they changed the body style to the Stratus. This was due to the Intrepid not being produced for the full year. This is probably just a short-term fill until the Charger comes out next year, with the NASCAR Nextel cup racers adopting this body style.

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
Does it really matter...I mean..I like racing, and I will always watch the Daytona 500.

But what in the word do these cars have in common with anythin on the road?

At least the Monte Carlo is a coupe!

Do they make Taurus and Intrepid coupes? Nope...how come they allow them?

And how come Dodge gets to add to extra slots to the nose of the car in between the headlights? It looks like a Pontiac Grand Prix! The production versions dont have that? It's true they could have called it a Caravan, who would have cared?

Why not a Buick LaCROSSE in NASCAR too?

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I agree that the cars have nothing in common with their stock counterparts. However, to give them a name of an existing car line, there will always be some people that associate the stock and the Nascar racers and say "I want to buy that car." Name recognition is a good thing to have, even if nothing is in common. Same thing goes for other forms of racing. People just want to be able to associate with a brand / nameplate, nothing more, nothing less.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
While the new Dodge NASCAR racers do look more like the Stratus than the Intrepid in the nose, I can find no official evidence that Dodge has changed their model car from the Intrepid. Unless rules have changed, NASCAR allows a defunct model to be raced (okay, in this case the STYLING of a defunct model can be used on the racer) for three years after the demise of the production vehicle. That's why the Imperial raced after it had ended production.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts