GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the recent cancellations of some models over at Chrysler Corp., it appears that the Chrysler brand will shrink to just a few models and perhaps take more of a niche role in the future.

So which cars, present or past, best represented what the Chrysler brand is or should be?

My picks are the 300M, 300C, and Pacifica. To me, these models represent(ed) bold style, and luxury appointments, which is what the brand should be.

New models IMO should push the luxury quotient to higher levels to set Chryslers apart from the Dodge and Jeep offerings. Chrysler should be the Cadillac and Lexus competitor in the stable, even though for now that doesn't seem to be the case.

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
The cab forward stuff was cool in its day and finally got the creative juices flowing at that company (instead of just ripping everyone, mainly GM, off). The Neon was a surprisingly good effort, but that wasn't a Chrysler I guess. Their minivans never impressed me, they were creative, but they still reeked Chrysler Corporation in my eyes. I agree about the Pacifica's styling--it's still good looking (a little refresh and it would probably do well now). The Sebring was never my cup of tea, but one friend of mine loves his. The Crossfire's misfire (sorry) kind of stumped me, I guess since it was low-volume they decided to cut corners, but I think they were pretty cool looking at least (maybe I should go on eBay and buy one for a hundred dollars and see why they did so poorly). The Prowler, if you want to count that, was unique. But it probably shouldn't have been built. The 300, could be a nice car, but it's appointments and overall feel are a joke. Really, since you've asked, I think the company as a whole has come close to hitting some homeruns several times, but the finished product never matches or lives up to its potential.

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
The LH cars, well the LHS and 300M in particular, impressed me.

It was an American interpretation of a European design (the basic layout design being lifted straight from the Renault 25). The LHS handled about as good as any large FWD car can, was well-built, had a quality interior, an enormous passenger compartment, huge trunk, got good MPG, and all for an incredibly reasonable price. (Wasn't Lutz involved in its design?)

They were way better than GM's H-/G-/K-platform (though Aurora was a match) and deserved a better rep than they had.

Chrysler sadly, like every other American company, hit the skids in the early 70s, design-wise. I was particularly fond of the '71-'74 Satellite Sebring, especially the earlier models with those attractive "loop" style bumpers.

And Elwood Engel's '66-'70 intermediates were sharp-looking, particularly the '66/'67 Coronet. And of course the '66-'70 Chargers...

Sad that these clean, stylish cars gave way to American taste-free nightmares like the Cordoba, LeBaron, Volaré and Fifth Avenue. I'll never understand how American cars went from World-leading in style to laughable jokes with landau roofs, opera windows, coach lighting and those other abominations of car design in such a short period of time.

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
the cab forward vehicles and the 300/charger/challenger models are my favorites. if Chrysler can put the same amount of effort into the rest of its current lineup then i think they can accomplish so much more than they currently have.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Jeep Compass- Nothing compares!!
You are being facitious, right??

As far as Jeep Models go I do like all of them except the Compass. I have driven all of them except the Compass and Commander.

Out of the more current Chrysler Models, I like the styling of the Crossfire and 300C and the Viper. I have not actually driven them though.

·
Registered
7,419 Posts
Dodge Dart/Plymouth Valiant- This car should have been the American Camry with continual improvement/refinement of an already solid vehicle with the legendary indestructible slant-6 engines. Stupid Chrysler. Very stupid.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
I will pick the 300c the car might be about 4 years old but those SRT8 look damn good and the 80s Dodge Shelby Charger

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
That's easy...

Plymouth Reliant. :yup:

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
....Sad that these clean, stylish cars gave way to American taste-free nightmares like the Cordoba, LeBaron, Volaré and Fifth Avenue. I'll never understand how American cars went from World-leading in style to laughable jokes with landau roofs, opera windows, coach lighting and those other abominations of car design in such a short period of time.
I could not agree more, except it has yet to return in my eyes.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
the LX (and it's successor)......and two of these limited run beasts....

Shelby Lancer

Daytona IROC R/T

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
I almost forgot about the mos potent of the Chrysler 2.2L Turbos...the Dodge Spirit R/T!

I was trying to find a basket case car that I could strip and rebuild my Reliant with. Every one that I came across was sans drivetrain (USELESS! :mad:) and of course, life got on the way. Maybe when I get a place of my own I'll get back on Project K-car R/T :yup:

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.