GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Since it is a straight line, I am going to go out on a limb and bet on one of the warmed Camaros (like Nicky Chevrolet or the Yenko Camaro). Do these qualify? They were sold by authorized Chevrolet dealers but were given some motor and drive train attention.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Well, depends on what you are talking about. Factory car you could by from GM, GM's toy collection, or aftermarket/dealer made car?

But I would have to say that the fastest Chevy from GM that you cannot buy would be the 2000 ZL1 camaro that got a carb'd 572 big block chevy. It ran the 1/4 in 9.44. I used to have the video... I dont know where it went? I guess thats what you get when your little brothers play on your computer. Things start missing. :angry:

anyway, fastest aftermarket or dealer Chevy would be the twin turbo, 427 Lingenfelter C5, but that might have ran the 1/4 in like 9.2x? Ill have to find the article.

Fastest factory car Chevy has made is probably the one and only ZL1 Corvette. Well over 500hp with a solid lifter, all aluminum 427. Probably could run 10's.

Then there are camaro and firebird funny cars that other then the name, and minor appearance things, share nothing with a stock one, that run 4's.

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Branden's post did say "STOCK".

So regular from the factory, not modified at all (even if sold through GM dealerships).

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Since the topic started with Chevrolet building production cars, the term "street legal" creeps in. The funny cars are then disqualified. :lol:
A 2000ZL1 with a 572? Wow. Was this a promotional for their aftermarket crate motors? The car would have sold.

·
Registered
94 Posts
my guess would be the ls6 chevelle..rated at 450 horse...closer to 500-550 because of insurance they under rated them..which prolly continues today :p

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by 69nova@Mar 30 2004, 02:46 PM
Since the topic started with Chevrolet building production cars, the term "street legal" creeps in. The funny cars are then disqualified. :lol:
A 2000ZL1 with a 572? Wow. Was this a promotional for their aftermarket crate motors? The car would have sold.
the ZL1 was a toy that Moss made. It used the 572 before it was offerd to the public. The 572 is something thats only been offerd from GMPP in the last year.

Then stock from the factory that you could buy would the be the ZL1 Corvette. :D

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
69 ZL1 COPO Camaro I always thought something like 11.7/qm at close to 120mph

Followed by 87 Buick GNX

·
Registered
315 Posts
The 2006 Z06 will be the winner.... and I have a feeling that the current Z06 in true "stock" form (no slicks, no headers, drive it off the showroom form) will beat anything from the 60s. Most of the great numbers out there are done with drag slicks on or additional "tweaks" from true showroom condition or were "enginneering vehicles".

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
I'd be interested to see what Chevy car has the fastest lap time on a course with (left and right) curves. I'm assuming it would be a recent Vette.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28+Mar 30 2004, 09:58 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bigals87z28 @ Mar 30 2004, 09:58 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-69nova@Mar 30 2004, 02:46 PM
the ZL1 was a toy that Moss made. It used the 572 before it was offerd to the public. The 572 is something thats only been offerd from GMPP in the last year.

Then stock from the factory that you could buy would the be the ZL1 Corvette. :D [/b][/quote]
I want to get that hood for my Z so bad! That thing is beatiful :zippy:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts