2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting with engines:
2.2 I-4 (base)
2.2 I-4 w/ DI (Up-level engine)-get rid of the 2.4
2.0 DI Turbo-for the SS Coupe/Sedan
------------------------------------
Transmissions:
A Six-Speed manual would be a great feature for the next Cobalt, the Versa has it, and nobody is complaining that they should have an extra gear.

A 4-speed auto, or upgrade to a 5-speed auto
------------------------------------
Interior:
GM did this interior pretty good, but there were somethings that were overlooked. GM did excellently with the Malibu and I'm interested to see just how good they do with the next Cobalt.

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
For starters:

* Sensible cutlines
*Timely refreshes and unique styling
*Good looks regardless of model(s)--make every trim level look as good as the SS (or highest & best trimlevel). Just give the SS red calipers and performance oriented items to differentiate it, leather, Nav, or what not on the inside--no paying extra for taste.
* Hybrid option and/or true economy.
* Something cool and hip--not just something inexpensive.
* A half decent looking sedan--the competition really kills them here

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
First and foremost, critical in these times, 40 miles per gallon. The Civic is the benchmark in small cars and the Cobalt doesn't stack up although it's somewhat cheaper. GM needs to get on the ball in the small car segment.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The mini-Malibu idea is a good one, and hopefully a path that they choose. GM is up to 36 highway mpg with a 5 speed manual and 2.2 I-4, so 40mpgs isn't that far away. I would hope that GM would cut the weight on Delta II, or use the 1.8 found in the Astra, and feature direct injection, to improve efficiency and horsepower.

·
Banned
6,921 Posts
5 star safety with 500 lbs less weight.
DI normally aspirated base engine.
Downsized to 2.0/1.8/1.6 - whichever gives the best combination of fuel economy and power.
BAS+ option.

With BAS plus and the other improvements, GM should be able to deliver Prius-like performance for $19K base.

That right there changes the entire game.
With a 45/55 Cobalt GM can tout the best mileage at the lowest cost with the most safety and style.

Just freaking do it GM.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Mini Malibu wouldnt look good IMO. It would ahve the same effect as the Corolla has. Ugly as sin.

It needs to be a bit more agressive and not as softy as the current gen. Its interior needs to have high quality stuff but also an attractive design as most people who will buy this car will be younger people. In fact, you want young people in this car. It should keep the Malibu's design theme, but not a smaller version of the current design. The sedan needs to look a lot better, and not a frumpy thing on roller skates like it does now.
The coupe needs to get sporty looks over the sedan. People buy the coupe cause they like the sporty look, so make it look better.
And never again put that rediculious looking spoiler on another car again. The one that is available for all coupes and sedans, that thing is the cheapest, ugliest looking thing in the world. It looks like it came off another car. it doesnt fit Cobalt's fat and narrow rear end.

Improve the 2.2 with DI boosting power and economy. 2.0 Turbo avail. I would also welcome that 1.9 diesel engine over too, just cause. Full alotment of 6spd autos, and 5 spd manual. 6spd manual in the SS models with 6spd auto optional, with paddles. I thought about a CVT since everyone in this segment seems to have it. I wonder how a CVT could work with the BAS+ system. With Cobalt sharing the platform of the Volt, I think we are looking at a large and vast parts bin for it to draw off of.

4 wheel disk brakes with ABS STANDARD.

·
Registered
84 Posts
BINGO!
(Was his name-0)
No. They need to find a better way to package these batteries so they don't use up most of the trunk space in sedans. Camry and Altima real hybrids both have tiny trunks.
I know these "mild" hybrids have smaller batteries, but they are pretty useless. I don't want a hybrid that only gives you an extra 2 mpg and I don't want a Prius either.

·
Super Moderator
21,185 Posts
No. They need to find a better way to package these batteries so they don't use up most of the trunk space in sedans. Camry and Altima real hybrids both have tiny trunks.
I know these "mild" hybrids have smaller batteries, but they are pretty useless. I don't want a hybrid that only gives you an extra 2 mpg and I don't want a Prius either.
BAS+ should produce more MPGs shouldn't it?

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
If it's only a $1500-$2000 upcharge, I'd pay it.

BAS+ is good for around a 15% boost in mileage. Using the current rating of 25/36, that would be about 29/41.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
4-Wheel Independent Suspension
4-Wheel Disc Brakes
Standard StabiliTrak and ABS
Standard Thorax Airbags (in addition to the already standard Front and Curtain Airbags)
New All-Aluminum ECOTECs with DI, VVT and E85 Compatibility (1.6L-2.2L)
Optional BAS-II Hybrid System
6-Speed Manual and Automatic Transaxles
VW-Quality Materials and Controls
Superb Handling and Steering Feel
Modern Chevrolet Family Styling
Sedan, Coupe, Wagon and Convertible Models

·
Registered
17,579 Posts
It needs to be a truly global car, that could be made with minimal modifications for all global markets.

Sedan, Coupe, Wagon and Convertible Models
I could see the Cabrio reserved for the Pontiac (I still believe Pontiac should build GM's sporty compact), but basically, that's it.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
how about a mild hybrid as the standard and a strong hybrid option.
Yes! It makes sense on so many levels. Imagine a mini-Malibu with best in class fuel economy across the board!? Chevy would sell as many as they could build. Even with the added cost of the mild and full hybrid equipment. Look at the success of the Prius and those start at over $20k.

Of course the next Cobalt should look unique and perhaps nothing like the Malibu, but more like the Volt.

·
Premium Member
8,004 Posts
To Each their OWN I suppose.
I think the Camry Hybrid is the best overall Hybrid family car out there right now.
There is still trunk space and you can drop the back seats...
The mileage is well worth the trade off in my opinion.
My friend has one and two small children.
They seem fine with the 'smaller trunk'.

Make the Mailbu a full Hybrid and then you will have the same effect.
People will then buy this car...a lot!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.