GM Inside News Forum banner

What image does SS bring to your mind??

4K views 69 replies 18 participants last post by  Carguy 
#1 ·
I see images of big motors, RWD, high power, muscle. The SS badge has a history that I think GM is ignoring and has turned into some dumb marketing ploy.

then I look at what GM seems to think of SS

85 monte SS pile o crap
454SS big motor..... no power
MY96 Impala SS so close...
new monte SS FWD SS :rolleyes:
new Impala SS see above
Cobalt neat car... NOT an SS
new SS P/U Worse than the first

Whats next an Aveio SS, how about an SS trainblazer, or maybe an equinox... Cummon GM get a clue. If your going to make an SS please make an SS!!!

#3 ·
SS to me says that the performance (handling, braking, and engine power), and styling are improved to appeal to enthusiasts. They make some of the tradeoffs enthusiasts would make to get the most out of their vehicles while becoming a great platform for further enhancements. The price is within the realm of the average enthusiast, and represents a good value.

I love rear drive V8s, but I don't think that is the only formula for a SS to succeed.

An appropriate SS lineup for today, in my opinion:

Cobalt SS: supercharged ecotecs and a good handling small car.

Malibu SS: 250HP or more V6 (V8 option??), lowered suspension, bigger wheels and tires.

Impala SS: V8 standard, 350 hp

Monte Carlo SS: V8 standard 350 hp, bigger than Camaro, more a cruiser than a canyon carver.

Camaro SS: just under a Corvette in performance, way under a Corvette in price, easily made race ready for autocross, road race, or drags

I am less passionate about SS trucks, but can clearly see a market, given the popularity of trucks. I could see a Colorado, Silverado (regular and extended cab??), and a Trailblazer as an SS. Same formula as for the cars.... build them for enthusiasts.

Chevrolet has not always adhered to this formula, as evidenced primarily by the current Monte Carlo SS, but also by the S10 SS, and even some of the early SS models which were merely a trim package.

#4 ·
is funny how you could name the 454ss as having no power...
the chevelle 454 ss had the highest power gm ever rated!
you can say about the ford 460 that is "the biggest engine of the big three with the smallest power"...

about the ss badge, who cares, is just a badge: if this helps the sales, then it's good!

When it was available the camaro ss, for sure you didn't run and get one, yet it had everything you could ask for...

#5 ·
I used to think SS really did mean Super Sport...now I don't know what to think...

#7 ·
sorry when I say 454SS I was refering to the 90-93 P/U (I had one) it was anything but a performance motor.

The SS badge has a history of muscle, a malibu S/C is NOT muscle, nor is a fixed up J-car.... or GMX as they are called now.

Think about GM's over use of the SS badge, cobalt, avieo, Chevy 1500, and more.... please.

#8 ·
SS evolved in the 60's, it was all about RWD V-8's. You have to remember that these cars were very fast in a straight line, good for the drag strip , but they could not handle at all and the brakes were horrendous. It took a long time to stop. Now it's different. It's about a total package, power + Handeling + brakes + interior ergonomics. It could be a 4 banger Cobalt or a V-8 Camaro as long as the total package is there. Lots of people would still prefere the 4 banger blown sport compact to the V-8 Camaro so SS must cover a lot of ground in this day and age.

#9 ·
Originally posted by yoblues@Apr 21 2004, 12:23 PM
Lots of people would still prefere the 4 banger blown sport compact to the V-8 Camaro so SS must cover a lot of ground in this day and age.
ah, nice to hear a mature statement like this! well said! sure, it's great to wax nostalgic and say SS can only go on V8, rwd sports cars, but right now that'd be one car at chev (the vette... which doesn't use the SS moniker anyways). it's too bad when they slap it on vehicles that don't present the 'total package' yoblues is talking about, but something like the cobalt SS represents, to me, one direction an SS car has taken in this day and age.

#10 ·
Ever watch a rodeo and the guy is slipping onto the bronco or brahma bull? He has that anticipation when the door will swing open and the animal's muscularity will come to life.
The same feeling should be created when the key is in the ignition and being turned. Raw, crude power. And you know when you push that clutch that you'd better be ready.
Now, this is how the term SS felt to me in the 60's. Not some refined unexciting drive train where people could be playing with their cell phone while they drive. Not some motor that must hit 6000 rpms to reach its advertised horsepower. This may be termed something else and is okay but it's not SS.

And the term has been misused once GM's marketing stuck it on everything to sell . So now, it means nothing to me regarding the present autos.

#11 ·
"Ever watch a rodeo and the guy is slipping onto the bronco or brahma bull? He has that anticipation when the door will swing open and the animal's muscularity will come to life.
The same feeling should be created when the key is in the ignition and being turned. Raw, crude power. And you know when you push that clutch that you'd better be ready"

HE GETS IT GM DOES NOT!!!!

The SCC thing is fine, total package is great.... hello I drive a SCC but for the love of God don't call a FWD 4banger an SS, don't call some lame malibu an SS... heck even malibu is an insult.

It would be smart to create a marketing seperation between the SS badge and the sport compact cars. Wouldn't be hard to do... hello SRT You don't see a neon gTx or AAR do you?

Fact is that GM just doesn't get it, they haven't for a long time. To many poeple who are not "car guys" running the show... believe me I know. When a 40 year old guy is developing the "street racer" cobalt car to appeal to that crowd how in touch do you think he is.... again they don't get it. Or more correctly enough of them don't get it to make a difference.

#12 ·
These LESSER FWD/I4-V6 powered cars should be built but use the RS name instead. Save the SS-((SUPER)) sport for TRUELY SUPER aka RWD/TRUE RWD based AWD H.O. V8 powered cars! The SS name being used on trucks WITH ALOT OF EXTRA POWER mind you is fine with me being that they are some of the only REAL CARS left. The Silverauto SS should have THE MOST power of ALL the full size sport trucks made. Remember super means ((SUPER)) for a REASON!!

#13 ·
Originally posted by johnd89@Apr 20 2004, 04:49 PM
is funny how you could name the 454ss as having no power...
the chevelle 454 ss had the highest power gm ever rated!
you can say about the ford 460 that is "the biggest engine of the big three with the smallest power"...

about the ss badge, who cares, is just a badge: if this helps the sales, then it's good!

When it was available the camaro ss, for sure you didn't run and get one, yet it had everything you could ask for...
I suppose UR 4getting the ones that came in the 1990-?? 454SS pickups...190 hp!!! WTF is that?!?!?!?! :blink: All that gas guzzling ability and it couldn't even get out of it's own way..Pathetic :mf_boff: .
Antthing in Chevy's line-up with the SS badging adoring it fenders right now should B taken out 2 a field and promptly set a blaze :plasma: .

#15 ·
ok, you weren't clear about the truck 454ss... altough still I think were some of the best looking trucks with A LOT of potential.
so do you also think that the 96 impala ss was underpowered? personally I would have liked a bigger engine for that boat, and come to think of, the police package offered almost the same.
Now, if you also contest the ss badging on the 96 imp, what's next, the buick gnx?
you have no point, this is simply a anti-gm rant!
I would understand an owher of the camaro ss to get all worked out about using the ss badge on a cobalt, but YOU?

one more thing: in the muscle car era, raw power, straight line performance was the norm, and the ss badge represented just that . now, 30-40 years later things (surprised??!?) have changed! SS means, like someone else stated, interior, suspension, other things! grow up, let it go, just be happy if the "scam" works and people actually buy those cobalts.

#16 ·
When I think of an SS auto or truck - I see naturally the different badging, plus leather bucket seats and a console with the transmission shift lever in it. Also different but good looking wheels ( I prefer chrome), dual exhausts with chrome tips, larger tires on the new wheels and some type of better performance in the engine compartment. That's what SS means to me. :D

#17 ·
I agree that the SS badging is overused. Personally, I always liked the Z scheme for Chevrolet. Z24 for the highest Cobalt, Z26 for the Malibu, Z28 for the Camaro, Z32 for the Monte Carlo, and Z34 for the Impala. Allow them to have upgraded interiors/exteriors/engines/suspensions/brakes, while keeping the SS name sacred for bat-out-of-hell performance. The Z name works for the trucks, why not the cars?

#18 ·
Originally posted by casket_demon@Apr 21 2004, 04:38 PM
[I suppose UR 4getting the ones that came in the 1900-?? 454SS pickups...190 hp!!! WTF is that?!?!?!?! :blink: All that gas guzzling ability and it couldn't even get out of it's own way..Pathetic :mf_boff: .
190 HP? Yes, WTF is this? The 454SS pickup of 1990-91 had 230-255 HP.

Would it be possible for you to do about 20 seconds of internet research before spouting this misinformation? Maybe we could take what you say seriously then.

http://www.webmakerx.com/modelro.asp?model...nykentchevrolet

http://www.sportmachines.com/magrack/autom...azine_2-91.html

#19 ·
The SS package began as a appearance package. It was possible to order a six cylinder SS station wagon in the early 60's, though only a couple were actually built that way.

So, SS began as a typical bucket seat, extra chome "sporty" package. But, the legend was created by the high performance cars. When I think of SS cars, I think of the 409 Impalas, the big block Chevelles, the suprisingly fast Novas and drag-race oriented Camaros. The more modern SS cars - nice as they often are - don't have the iconic status the earlier cars do. When I think SS, I think lots of power and an emphasis on straight-line acceleration.

Can the brand extend to more balanced cars? Anything is possible. But, I do like the suggestion of using RS for all except the "king of the class" cars. Rally-Sport seems to denote something more balanced, with a combination of speed, handling and looks.

#20 ·
Well, in the good old 60s, you could get an I6 SS nova, a 283 Impala SS, even an SS station wagon. Were all of those against the code as well?

The current thinking is better. The SS is truly the highest performance variant of each model line where it is offered. It is not just the engine, but the total driving experience that gets an overhaul. I agree that the 90s SS454 truck was a joke, the current Monte SS is a joke (soon to be fixed with an LT Monte Carlo), but to criticize the future SS lineup because of the past seems strange to me. I don't think we will see any more normally aspirated 3800s in SS models from 2005 on...

LS2s are coming that will shame most any SS from the 60s, not to mention today's competition.

I have owned 4 SS models and still have 3 of them. They range from a 1983 Monte Carlo SS (190hp stock, but still fun to drive and come on, it was 1983, nothing was fast) to my 99 Camaro SS. It runs high 12s and other than not being built in the 60s, should pass the test of a "real SS." But I would gladly buy a Cobalt SS, assuming it performs at the level that is being talked about. It should be a fun car, an entry to the SS family for some, a fun 2nd car for others. I would not buy a Cavalier for this purpose and I would not buy a regular Cobalt either, but an SS with over 200 HP(probably a pulley away from 240 hp), 18 inch wheels, a good handling, lowered suspension, and a cool looking interior and exterior sounds good to me.

My other current SS is a 2004 Impala SS. I would swear is it faster to 100 mph than my 1995 Impala SS was. Even so, I would love to see a V8 Impala SS again, and would trade in a second. I think this is a virtual lock for 2006 according to numerous sources.

If you want to bash, bash away, but I hope SS can become for the next generation what it was to those who lived through the 60s, fun, affordable performance from Chevrolet.

#22 ·
IF you have some time, look up what the first SS trim really was? For 500 bucks, you could get an SS trim on an Impalla... and you know what engine could be under the hood? A 6cyl. SS was just a trim option for the longest time, and not untill the muscle car era did the SS badge really become something different.
Times have changed. Not all cars are RWD. Not all cars have V8's. Hell, some V6's now make more power then SS models of the 60's, so why cant they get a SS badge? Why must it be a V8? I dont see the big problem.
The new Impalla SS is faster then the much praised 94-96 models. The SS moniker now means the top trim level that brings in performance and style. The SRT10 on the Viper means big V10 power, 500hp, supercar performance for under 100k, one of america's top sports cars. Then you have the SRT4, a turbo 4cyl model that is still a Neon, but does it deserve its SRT monikier like the Ram and Viper? Hell yes it does! The SS badge is the new chevy performance division and should be put on anything that meets the specs of a special performance model. What makes any of thoes cars not an SS model? Because its not a Chevelle? Because its not a Nova or Camaro? Why?

And to thoes who think the SS 454 truck isnt fast need to meet someone who knows what they are doing. Ive seen them run 12's and better. Thats faster then 90% of the SS models of teh 60's.

#23 ·
Originally posted by MarkSS@Apr 21 2004, 08:06 PM
I agree that the 90s SS454 truck was a joke, the current Monte SS is a joke (soon to be fixed with an LT Monte Carlo), but to criticize the future SS lineup because of the past seems strange to me. I don't think we will see any more normally aspirated 3800s in SS models from 2005 on...

I have owned 4 SS models and still have 3 of them. They range from a 1983 Monte Carlo SS (190hp stock, but still fun to drive and come on, it was 1983, nothing was fast) to my 99 Camaro SS.
Why was the 454SS truck of the 90's a joke? It was the quickest, most powerful truck you could buy then (other than the Typhoon/Cyclone), it had 405 lbft of torque, bucket seats, gauges - what's the problem?

I agree with your comment about the Monte Carlo SS in 1983 - nothing was fast at the time, and everyone here needs to take things in context. Same with the 454SS. If it's the best thing going at the time, why can't it be an SS?

#24 ·
So true about it just being a trim package to start with way back when. It wasn't till the musclecar era that the term "SS" became synonymous with large displacment and gobs of HP. The SS moniker was just pumped up so much from that era that to many it doesn't suit the bill if it isn't V8 RWD. Since then they have evolved back into that higher trim model with more excitment and power than the lower trim, it's just some people can't evolve with them.

As for the 4th generation Monte Carlos with only 180 HP from the V8 SS model, well I'm sure they were criticized the same way as the new 6th gens are. Only thing is the newer ones even in the LT trim (05) or the SS's from 2000 to date for the record are a faster, more comfortable car with many technological updates worthy of being an SS. Regardless of its configuration to me the SS is a model just above it's standard trim, giving a bit more excitement without comprimising comfort/luxury/gas milage.

#25 ·
So then I guess the name Super Sport should be ((CHANGED)) to Sort of Sport or Semi Sport? SUPER has NO meaning eny more DOES IT!!!-----------Why not call it KS for Kind of Sporty or FIBITS for FWD Is Better In The Snow!! If they arnt going to use SS properly then they should (((STOP))) useing it ALL TOGETHER!!!! :angry: SO PARDEN ME FOR NOT BEEING EVOLVED ENOUGH FOR YOU!!! ((PAL))!!! :plasma:

#26 ·
Get the hint.....the market doesnt want big blocks anymore and with gas prices the way they are and plus insurance costs big block coupes and sedans wont make it(did we forget those two factors killed off the muscle car). Like someone before me pointed out, when the SS badge first appeared on the Impala, it was just an appearance package. But then when the market demanded more power, chevy responded, with SS238, SS327, SS350, SS396, SS402, SS409, SS427, and SS454. the first two were available on Malibu and camaro SS, hell SS's were even available with V-6's! Why dont some people get the hint that this is a different time, different market, and different demands...people who drove GM muscle cars or any other muscle car for that matter, are now old enough to drive a buick or some other brand that caters to the older population....if you think about it, Super Sport always meant, better engine, better handling, better looks, better performance....About the interior, SS's were never flashy, except SS badges on the dashboard or steering wheel. When i look at the Super Sports that chevy offers now, they are on par of what Super Sports mean. The reason for the RWD bias was because the Super Sports were in a RWD market....I wonder what responses would be if back then the market was all FWD just like it is now....but have no fear, there are RWD Super Sports on the way...The next Gen Impala and MC are switching to RWD with V-8 options so you know an SS is due for them, Trailblazer SS will be coming, Colorado SS, the rumored return of the Camaro. Cobalt SS.. why not give it the SS badge? It lives up to the SS guidelines doesnt it?... I think its cool to see the SS badge do battle in the Tuner market...so why not take that SS recipe and apply it tuner style?...So get the hint....different times, different market.

Aveo SS? why not.

and for those who dont want to accept the change and evolution of the SS....tough S***, live with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.