GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had one of those "What if..." ideas recently. And, being the person that I am, thought I should share it. So, here it is:

WHAT IF...GM used the GM badge and name to make a seperate branch for selling "green" cars?

Let me explain. GM's cars and concepts branded "GM" were (to my understanding) all designed to be 'green' vehicles: The EV1 being an all-electric vehicle, the HyWire being a Hydrogen drive-by-wire, and the Sequel being a Hydrogen fuel-cell car. So, my 'what if' is most easily explained as: "What if GM put those kinds of cars into production badged "GM"?

Those "GM" badged cars wouldn't have to be sold at separate "GM"-only dealerships. They would have the equipment levels and options to be sold at a Chevrolet dealership, or all the way up to a Cadillac dealership, while still having just the "GM" badge on their grille/back end/etc. That way, a person that has been in Cadillacs all of his/her life wouldn't have to stoop to go to a Chevrolet dealer to buy a Volt-style vehicle.

The "GM" model lineup would consist of three models designed on the outside for aerodynamics and fuel efficiency, and on the inside for comfort and intuitivity.
Each model would have an availability of three powertrains:
  • Hybrid: A 1.6L-2.0L Direct-injection 4-cylinder with a 2-mode hybrid system (designed to get maximum MPG per vehicle)
  • Plug-in: A 1.0L-1.5L Turbocharged 3-cylinder with a rechargeable electric motor (designed to get maximum miles of range on one charge)
  • Hydrogen: Fuel-cell engine (designed to get maximum miles on a full tank)
So, without further ado, here is my first model proposal:

GM HSL/PSL/FSL

Body Style: 4-door sedan with hatchback opening
Segment: Midsize Passenger Car
Engines(3): 2.0L I-4DI + 2M hybrid, 1.5L 3-cyl turbo + R/C electric motor, fuel-cell
HP output: 200 (hybrid), 175 (plug-in), equiv. to 195 (hydrogen)
Drivetrain: FWD
Fuel economy: 45mpg (hybrid), 40mi/charge (plug-in), 300mi/tank (hydrogen)
Main Competition: Honda FCX

Comments? :D

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Umm, unfortunately, what Fenwick said.

The concept of actually having GM branded cars might work, but GM's biggest problem right now is that they have too many badges. I think the best idea I've heard so far for GM's green autos (hybrids, fuel cells, etc) is to use Saturn as an all alternative brand. They could even bring back the old tag line: "a different kind of company, a different kind of car"

(I even still remember that!)

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
It's a prius. With funky lights.
Sorry dude...
Umm, unfortunately, what Fenwick said.
Hm. I'm not satisfied with the taillamps, but what else is Prius-like about it? I mean, I designed it to be aerodynamic, and I actually designed it more with Honda's FCX in mind.

I did, however, try to incorporate a lot of the design elements from the Sequel concepts into it.

More feedback, please. I'd like to make improvements.

·
Super Moderator
20,962 Posts
Just the basic gerbil-like shape of the car.

Your design:

failrius:

See the similarities? Especially with the windows and roofline.
Your design looks like what a prius would be if a prius was cool.
But gerbil-like nonetheless.

Gerbil sees what I mean.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As much as I agree with you on the Gerbil shape (and believe me, I do), the Prius has a drag coefficent of only .26, making it one of the most aerodynamic cars in mass production today. Better aerodynamics equal better MPG. And, since this is technically a bit larger than the Prius is, It needs to be more aerodynamic. I mean, look at the Aptera concept from 2007, it's practically a three-wheeled fish!

Maybe it'll look better when I pencil-color it (which I will do by copying it). I do have to admit how proud I am of myself because of how well I translated the Sequel's design onto a midsize sedan. :cool:

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Okay, I see where you are coming from. The color will help, too. By the way, I kind of like the Aptera.

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Just the basic gerbil-like shape of the car.

Your design:

failrius:

See the similarities? Especially with the windows and roofline.
Your design looks like what a prius would be if a prius was cool.
But gerbil-like nonetheless.

Gerbil sees what I mean.

Perhaps Richard Gear would approve?

·
Super Moderator
20,962 Posts
As much as I agree with you on the Gerbil shape (and believe me, I do), the Prius has a drag coefficent of only .26, making it one of the most aerodynamic cars in mass production today. Better aerodynamics equal better MPG. And, since this is technically a bit larger than the Prius is, It needs to be more aerodynamic. I mean, look at the Aptera concept from 2007, it's practically a three-wheeled fish!

Maybe it'll look better when I pencil-color it (which I will do by copying it). I do have to admit how proud I am of myself because of how well I translated the Sequel's design onto a midsize sedan. :cool:
True. However, I think that if GM ever did create something like this, the import fanboys would be all over it and pointing out how similar it looked to a prius.
Perhaps a different greenhouse will take away the prius-like look. Especially the windows.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
crooner214 said:
Okay, I see where you are coming from. The color will help, too.
Yeah, I'm confident that the color will make it look a little better.

FenwickHockey65 said:
Perhaps a different greenhouse will take away the prius-like look. Especially the windows.
I did experiment with different greenhouses before I settled on this one.
  • First was the Malibu-style greenhouse. Verdict: NO, the C-pillar is too large that way.
  • Second was the direct copy of the Sequel's greenhouse. Verdict: NO, the greenhouse would look more like the Prius than it does now.
  • Third, was the greenhouse you see now.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
this "what if" scenario is the whole idea behind the Design Theme of this month's non-contest contest.
Haha, I noticed that about two days after I started this thread. I just kept it the same. I thought about making one of these models a GEO, but I badged them GM so that...

They would have the equipment levels and options to be sold at a Chevrolet dealership, or all the way up to a Cadillac dealership, while still having just the "GM" badge on their grille/back end/etc. That way, a person that has been in Cadillacs all of his/her life wouldn't have to stoop to go to a Chevrolet dealer to buy a Volt-style vehicle.
Colored SL-Series (that's the first model posted) coming later. :cool:

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alright, here's the SL-Series in color. The color is, duh, white. Door handles are chromed, wheels are chromed, and window trim is chromed also. Bi-xenon Headlamps are blue with amber signal indicators. Taillamps have six red LEDs on top, regular reverse lights, and amber rear signal indicators so that the car can be sold globally.

All of these cars have two-toned exteriors, color on top, silver-gray below.

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
To be honestly, I kinda like it. Eventhough it shares the overall shape with the Prius, it looks much more technological and sophisticated. Good work. Not too sure of the Badging idea though.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To be honestly, I kinda like it. Eventhough it shares the overall shape with the Prius, it looks much more technological and sophisticated. Good work. Not too sure of the Badging idea though.
Thanks! Yeah, I had thoughts about the badging at first, but selling the same GM-branded car at many dealerships is, IMO, more efficient and less costly than making rebadges.

SC-Series (that's the smaller, Prius-sized sedan model) coming later.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts