GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Life of a Brand New Oldsmobile thread is not dead, I'm just not content with doing drawings of the same brand over and over.

What if GM got back into the minivan business? It's a market in high demand right now, with gas prices being as high as they are ($3.55 in my area). People need an efficient way to haul people and stuff, but don't care about towing or going offroad. Okay, the Toyota Sienna and Honda Odyssey have that covered - but come on! We're getting 2010 models revealed already!

GM's answer? Build a spaceship - at least on the inside. With styling based on the Opel Meriva concept, the Opel/Vauxhall/Saturn RELAY (Saturn pictured) redefines the minivan. No longer is the minivan a milk carton or a soda bottle on wheels. The minivan is now a spaceship on Earth, with futuristic style and luxuries.

The RELAY comes in four trim levels - Value, Natural, Greenline, and Luxury. Value means value, with a 2.0L Direct-Injected I-4 good for 200HP, and 20/28 MPG ratings and a second row two-person bench. Natural keeps that four-cylinder, and adds various features that most people will buy. Luxury sticks a 3.6L Direct-Injected V6 in there, good for 285HP and 18/26 MPG ratings; plus all the luxuries you'd want on a minivan. The Greenline is the hybrid model, with a 2.0L Direct-Injected I-4 + electric motor mated to a 2-mode hybrid CVT, making a combined 245HP and 30/32 MPG ratings. All regular-engined models have a 6-speed automatic transmission.

So, may I present...

Comments? :D

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
17,579 Posts
Hello Toyota Estima!

Some other JDM minivan has that kink in the rear side door, but I can't remember which one... Overall, GM should for sure offer a minivan like that, with all the space-age styling and technology, and I guarantee it WOULD sell.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I like vans and really see how this could be a very nice option.
If you get a chance could you maybe draw the interior so we can get a feel for the futuristicness.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bravada said:
Hello Toyota Estima!

Some other JDM minivan has that kink in the rear side door, but I can't remember which one... Overall, GM should for sure offer a minivan like that, with all the space-age styling and technology, and I guarantee it WOULD sell.
The Estima/Previa was the inspiration - but I wanted the RELAY to look un-Asian. The JDM Nissan Serena has a kink in the front door.

paul8488 said:
I kinda like your van. I think that there's too much of an 'arc' to the roofline, but I like the idea.
I took a page from the Ford Taurus X and made the roof over the third row/cargo area a little higher.

Astra RL said:
I like vans and really see how this could be a very nice option.
If you get a chance could you maybe draw the interior so we can get a feel for the futuristicness.
Haha, who needs the Odyssey, Sienna, and T&C, anyways?

Instrument Panel coming soon as well as seating configurations. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts