GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I believe back in the 80's, GM was considering a new GTO based on the Grand Am...thankfully, somebody smart at GM realized that a FWD GTO just wouldn't cut it.

I still get a lot of "that's not a real GTO" comments when I'm out and about in my '06...but at least my GTO has a V8 and is RWD.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
I believe back in the 80's, GM was considering a new GTO based on the Grand Am...thankfully, somebody smart at GM realized that a FWD GTO just wouldn't cut it.

I still get a lot of "that's not a real GTO" comments when I'm out and about in my '06...but at least my GTO has a V8 and is RWD.
I remember the Grand Am GTO concept. I agree with your comments.

This sketch is a much better idea of what a 1980s GTO could/should have been.

·
Registered
8,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I remember the Grand Am GTO concept. I agree with your comments.

This sketch is a much better idea of what a 1980s GTO could/should have been.

Then I guess GM tried to copy Chrysler when they applied the Charger moniker for the FWD L-body variant of the Omni/Horizon. Chrysler corrected this since with a RWD car even if it's a 4-door sedan.

·
Registered
20,228 Posts
Looks like a 1976, not an 1986 to me:

·
Registered
66 Posts
If it where me I would make it look like the monte carlo ss aero coupe. with special front facia and tail lights to distinguish it from the standard gran prix.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Wow, I actually made this rather shoddy chop years ago of an 1986 Pontiac GTO based on the Grand Prix 2+2. My thought would be a 350TPI engine with 4spd auto. Mix in parts of the GTA with the Grand National kind of idea.

·
Registered
8,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, I actually made this rather shoddy chop years ago of an 1986 Pontiac GTO based on the Grand Prix 2+2. My thought would be a 350TPI engine with 4spd auto. Mix in parts of the GTA with the Grand National kind of idea.

:hyper::clap::tup:::bounce: Fantastic!

·
Registered
4,131 Posts

Back when I had my '04 GTO, I really didn't get that. More recently - in the past few years - those Holden-based Goats have gotten much more respect. That includes, from what I've seen, from the 1960's Goat owners. Even plenty of import drivers, from kids to adults, gave the Goat a lot of respect knowing what it offered.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts