GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GM had both of these going up until January 31st, on 2008 models, then dropped them and went back to basic rebates.

I found a 2008 Sierra that I want to buy, but knowing that two months ago I could have paid almost $2000 less than today, I'm obviously not going to buy it now.

Why would GM offer a loyalty bonus for a few weeks then nothing? Wouldn't it make more sense to let it go on for the rest of the model year to keep sales momentum going?

Ball's in your court, GM.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I received the same offer for the 2k top off...I wish it would happen more often also...I was wondering all the people that have the GM card what is the limit of cash you can accumulate per year..My card is still at 5% and I have accumulated 1500 over the last 10 months...Right now my card caps the Malibu at 1000 and an Envoy at 2500.....Does anyone else's card offer more than this,if so how long have you had it...??Also like the original question how often does the Top Off offer occur???

·
Registered
861 Posts
I received the same offer for the 2k top off...I wish it would happen more often also...I was wondering all the people that have the GM card what is the limit of cash you can accumulate per year..My card is still at 5% and I have accumulated 1500 over the last 10 months...Right now my card caps the Malibu at 1000 and an Envoy at 2500.....Does anyone else's card offer more than this,if so how long have you had it...??Also like the original question how often does the Top Off offer occur???

No limit on the amount accumulated with your type of card, as well as mine. But there are redemption allowances on the different models.

·
Registered
237 Posts
GM had both of these going up until January 31st, on 2008 models, then dropped them and went back to basic rebates.

I found a 2008 Sierra that I want to buy, but knowing that two months ago I could have paid almost $2000 less than today, I'm obviously not going to buy it now.

Why would GM offer a loyalty bonus for a few weeks then nothing? Wouldn't it make more sense to let it go on for the rest of the model year to keep sales momentum going?

You have to take advantage of these things when they are valid. The ball will stay in GM's court as well as your points you missed out on.

Even if you call and beg, that extra money is gone for now.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
You have to take advantage of these things when they are valid. The ball will stay in GM's court as well as your points you missed out on.

Even if you call and beg, that extra money is gone for now.
EXACTLY. Usually the goal of all regular or new incentives and deals are to drum up extra business and specifically get a lot of the bargain hunters to finally come around.

This was especially the case with the GM card top-off. It was essentially all of January (usually around this time, I believe) to really draw all the card holders out of the woodwork and get them buying in the time they had, and really give GM good numbers to start the year off.

Rebates and other cash are just that...incentives. A lot depends on sales, and a lot also depends on wanting to keep any and all of it to the bare minimum. And things also change. Think of the newly offered 0% for 60 months on '08 full-size trucks--that ALWAYS gets people to look, and this market is dead for trucks.

The point? Things change...and sales are sales. If they were ALWAYS there, no one would care, and the price would just be lower all the time. The point is to give special times with extra "only until..." offers, and get your butt in the door.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
You are seriously complaining about an incentive ending a month ago? Not only that it seems you knew about it then and now you want blame GM for ending it early? You should be forced to buy the truck above MSRP because you knew, then waited, then complained a month later.

This is too much, I think my heads going to explode.

·
Registered
237 Posts
You are seriously complaining about an incentive ending a month ago? Not only that it seems you knew about it then and now you want blame GM for ending it early? You should be forced to buy the truck above MSRP because you knew, then waited, then complained a month later.

It never ends!

·
Super Moderator
20,983 Posts

I'm going to have to agree, this is in no way GM's fault. There's a reason as to why incentives and offers have an expiration date, you're supposed to take advantage of them when they're available.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The same complaints will happen after 3/17 when the Pullahead goes back to 2 payments instead of the current 6.

We work our portfolio and give a heads up to all that fit in the window but someone will come in at their leisure on 3/18 and say "You told me 6 payments on the Pullahead!!".

You're right, exploding heads abound.

:hyper:

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
The same complaints will happen after 3/17 when the Pullahead goes back to 2 payments instead of the current 6.

We work our portfolio and give a heads up to all that fit in the window but someone will come in at their leisure on 3/18 and say "You told me 6 payments on the Pullahead!!".

You're right, exploding heads abound.

:hyper:
OH GOD! I'm going on vacation the last half of the month because you are right.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
What disturbs me is Saturn cancelled the loyalty bonus (here in Canada anyway). I thought the idea was to try and gain brand loyalty, no? :mad:

·
Registered
20,857 Posts

I know exactly how you feel, GM usually sweetens the deals, but this year it appears end of January was the best, and now with the Axle strike, no sense in GM blowing out the current inventory, when they don't know when it is going to be replaceable.

I was close at the end of January ..... didn't bite

Then middle of February, I found a couple "old inventory" units, that had an extra $2K .... didn't bite

I thought all was lost, but the last week of February, I found a truck with the options and colors I wanted, as well as a dealer willing to deal a bit .... then the axle strike news ... I BIT!

Did I mention, I bought a new truck!? (leased) :bounce:

Stock photo, but here she is .... (its currently buried in snow, driving the RAM 2 more weeks, it is way under on my allotted lease miles)

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Did I mention, I bought a new truck!? (leased) :bounce:

Stock photo, but here she is .... (its currently buried in snow, driving the RAM 2 more weeks, it is way under on my allotted lease miles)

Congrats on the new truck, good choice! ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can anybody out there help with a GM supplier discount. Close to buying an Enclave and the salesman asked if we had a supplier discount. My company is checking with GM, but if someone else can help out - that would be great.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Although I agree that incentives come and go, and one must strike when they are available, it is nonetheless disturbing when the "loyalty" rebate is replaced by a "capture" rebate. Odd that GM would want to dis-incentivize loyalty.

·
Super Moderator
20,983 Posts
Where the heck did the loyalty discount go? GM gave it out in 2003 when we bought our Envoy. I don't know if I just haven't been paying attention, but it doesn't seem like it's returned.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
While I understand that GM would want to "capture" more customers, it also needs to keep its "loyal" customers. A greater deal to the loyal ones should be made before the capture ones, IMO.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts