GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I would like to see it grow to be a big comfy family sedan.
If it is large like 117 inch wheelbase then I see no objections to it staying FWD. This is after the 2010 timeframe by the way. If it is able to pass 30 MPG that is even better, but 29 highway for a V6 is still good.
My reasons for such a massive wheelbase is that the Malibu will most likely increase in interior size over the current sedan. So to create reason for such a car it needs to be significantly bigger. I would like it to be modern in design and execution.

What I would like to see from a Epsilon II Impala

LS- Basic but not a stripped version, Stabilitrak, LCD screen, reclining rear seat standard.
2.8 DI 245 HP-six speed auto.
$24,500

1LT Adds a nicer cloth for the seats, an upgraded stereo, upgraded wheels dual zone climate control, push button start with the 2 way key fob, park sensors, and heated seats in front
3.2 DI 265 HP-six speed auto.
$27,000

2LT Gives Ultralux seats, auto climate control, cooled front seats, 2 panel sunroof is optional, backup camera, and 18 inch wheels.
3.2 DI 265 HP-six speed auto
$29,500

LTZ gives leather seats, leather arm rests, real wood trim, nicer wheels, dual exhaust, lane departure warning, HUD, optional laser cruise
3.6 DI 290 HP-six speed auto
$32,500

SS has LTZ features + piano black interior. optional sport seats. Redone front and rear more sporty than sport package.
4.9 DI 360 HP-six speed dsg AWD
$34,000

Optional on all but the LS is Navigation. A sport package is available with a stiffer suspension and a slightly more aggressive front and rear. AWD is optional on all regular trim levels standard on SS. BAS+ is available on all trim levels as an upgrade.

Comments/Concerns

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
And have it come with an AWD option for a v8 and it would handle great that way and handle the power. Make AWD the option that sets it apart from the Malibu -- that and size.

·
Super Moderator
20,962 Posts
Bigger, roomier, competing with the Avalon. The Impala should be competing with the Avalon if you compare the lineups...but it really doesn't. BAS+ would be nice. It just needs to be more...I don't know...sharper? than the current Impala. I don't want it to look like just another generic sedan anymore. Look at what they did with the Malibu. By the way, stick a HUD in the LTZ model up there and I'm sold.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bigger, roomier, competing with the Avalon. The Impala should be competing with the Avalon if you compare the lineups...but it really doesn't. BAS+ would be nice. It just needs to be more...I don't know...sharper? than the current Impala. I don't want it to look like just another generic sedan anymore. Look at what they did with the Malibu. By the way, stick a HUD in the LTZ model up there and I'm sold.
How could I forget HUD!

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
Full-size powerful ride with great luxury amenities.

Brash styling.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
Love all those options Astra, I would add a few though. I would like to see AWD optional on all trims, you got most of the tech options (Even laser cruse control and push button start). I would like to see an SS though V8 engine and AWD standard. It should be roomy, and comfortable. This would be a proper Avalon competitor. With rising fuel cost I would also like to see some sort of hybrid system, 2 Mode if possible.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Edited to match requests for a SS.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Agreed that we need another Impala SS. But this time a REAL Super Sport; Not just a cosmetic enhancement, but something with a Hi output powerplant, performance trans, suspension and brakes. Only then should it be fitted with the SS badge.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
87Silver, you are aware the current Impala SS comes with a V8 right?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
On EPII... AWD optional on all levels... 3.5 OHV base engine (grumble grumble, it sells ridiculously well, stone reliable, gets great fuel economy, and is inexpensive to manufacture, while having some decent technology) for an LS/LT1 (FE1 suspension, optional FE2)... Traverse's 3.6 DI to replace the 3900 in the LT2/LTZ (FE2 for LT2, FE3 for LTZ, optional FE5 magnetic ride, similar to the LaCrosse Super), 4.9DI in the SS/9Cx packages (FE4 heavy duty police package, FE5 MR package for the SS)... 6spd standard across the board, Optional DCT on the LTZ, SS, and 9Cx cars...

Agressively bland styling (like the Commodore)... Not offensive to scare away traditional buyers, but interesting styling nevertheless (I LOVE the styling on the Commodore and G8, but in reality, there's nothign groundbreaking about the overall shape or design)... Keep production high in Oshawa, build a more luxury oriented version alongside the Impala as the Lucerne/Park Avenue/Electra... Package it right, price it right, style it right, engineer it right, build it right, and people will forget what an Avalon or a Maxima is.

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
The crucial thing is beautiful styling inside and out and great value for the money. The Malibu has that in spades. And don't skimp on the technology. Plus, if we don't see a RWD Impala make it FWD with an AWD option and I think most folks would be happy. I'm sure the police departments in North America would be tickled to have a v8-powered AWD Impala as their interceptors.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts