GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys like satellite radio? Honestly, I found myself very disappointed: every time I drove under a tree (and CT has lots of em), I found that I completely lost signal. So, I found a more consistant signal from FM radio...

I was in a Hertz rental car, which I think is Sirius. I was wondering the types of experiences other people had with it...

It was so bad where I tried it that I couldn't imagine paying for it...the receiver had to rebuffer every time it didn't have an absolute perfect signal...

:angry:

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
I'm pretty experienced with XM. I think it's awesome, and in my experience, the reception is very good. I'm not completely sure, but it seems like it downloads music in 30-second blocks, so obstacles rarely affect it. Staying parked under an awning or something like that -does- hinder reception, namely by cutting it off completely.

When I demo XM, I let a customer listen to their favorite radio station, then switch to the closest XM-equivalent, to compare the sound quality, which is really no comparison as the XM wins hands down.

As for the selection, programming, and lack of commercials, the XM is awesome. My favorite stations are "Bluegrass," "Bluesville," and "Cinemagic." Cinemagic is especially cool, because it plays movie soundtracks, such as The Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, and The Matrix. It's -not- showtoons. The most popular station with my customers seems to be "Extreme Comedy," especially with those who frequently get stuck in rush-hour traffic.

As for paying for it, the cost is less than if you bought one CD a month.

I've yet to have one customer not like their XM. XM reports that their product is a strong purchase-factor in 75% of their factory-installed, yet, they report, 95% say that they will want XM on their next vehicle. Pretty strong numbers.

Ghrankenstein

·
Registered
146 Posts
In my house, I have 2 Delphi SkyFi units, an XM PCR and my '03 Impala has XM. In 2 weeks, the Impala is getting replaced by another car with factory XM.

I think the market as a whole has spoken when XM has over 1,000,000 subscribers and Sirius has less than 200,000 0 with a years head start on XM.

See www.xmfan.com and www.siriusbackstage.com

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We have trees that drape over large areas of sides roads and even interstates. I'm not sure if any kind of good reception could be expected. "Away from trees" is virtually impossible. Especially in CT, we love our trees, which are planted by the thousands in the median and along side the roads. Everyone says its "fine as long as you have a clear sky", but the problem is the majority of the time here, there isn't a clear sky. So... it appears that it's out of the question...

(Someone please prove me wrong).

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
i don't have either one yet, but if i can afford to, i'd be getting XM. i just liked the channel selection much better. specifically, the heave metal channels. also, XM is posting a profit, while sirius is in the red (from what i've heard).

all i would need is to get my favorite internet radio on XM and i'll be in heaven. :D

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
i just liked the channel selection much better. specifically, the heave metal channels
IMHO, Heavy Metal is the one area where XM really lacks a grasp. The get a lot of Nu-Metal and metal crossover (e.g. Metallica), but nothing in the way of extreme metal (death metal/black metal) or even older/classic metal (e.g. Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Slayer).

If they can do extreme/uncensored hip-hop, they can do a real metal category, and it would pay off for them. We metalheads take our music pretty seriously, eh?

With all the other cool stuff on XM, that's not really a problem with me, but I would actually consider installing it on my Camaro if I could get the metal programming.

And by the way, what is your favorite internet radio?

Ghrankenstein

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Originally posted by Ghrankenstein@Nov 1 2003, 12:27 PM
i just liked the channel selection much better. specifically, the heave metal channels
IMHO, Heavy Metal is the one area where XM really lacks a grasp. The get a lot of Nu-Metal and metal crossover (e.g. Metallica), but nothing in the way of extreme metal (death metal/black metal) or even older/classic metal (e.g. Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Slayer).

If they can do extreme/uncensored hip-hop, they can do a real metal category, and it would pay off for them. We metalheads take our music pretty seriously, eh?

With all the other cool stuff on XM, that's not really a problem with me, but I would actually consider installing it on my Camaro if I could get the metal programming.

And by the way, what is your favorite internet radio?

Ghrankenstein
Well, based on the 5 mins I was able to listen (before someone else at BestBuy choose a different radio to listen from :mad: ) I liked what XM had better then Sirius. :) Obviousy not a great comparison, but... *shrug*

My favorite net station is Snakenet Metal Radio. If I could get this on XM, I'd be set. I'd buy either XM or Sirius JUST for Snakenet. :D :zippy:

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
I listen to the radio mostly for traffic reports, and local news. Otherwise I listen to cds. I wouldn't pay for a satellite radio service.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have 2 Delphi and one XMPCR here in the house, and 2 cars with XM.

The XM is the main reason why I got the cars that I am driving.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
What are your favorite XM stations, and why (if it isn't already obvious to the reading public)?

Ghrankenstein?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I prefer and have Sirius in my vehicles. Reception is great and as someone else said its has a 30 second buffer so that if you cruise through and overpass you don't get interruptions. If you get stuck under there for a few seconds you may notice a small break. Alot of people say XM is better but that is only because that is what most people know. They spend more in advertising and are more mainstream. Sirius is true commercial free programming. Some of XMs channels do have commercials, if I am paying for radio there damn well better not be any commercials but from what I have heard XM is partially owned by Clear Channel so it figures. I have listened to both and prefer Sirius' programming too. More of what I like but everyone has there own opinions.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Originally posted by neoflex@Nov 2 2003, 04:52 PM
I prefer and have Sirius in my vehicles. Reception is great and as someone else said its has a 30 second buffer so that if you cruise through and overpass you don't get interruptions. If you get stuck under there for a few seconds you may notice a small break. Alot of people say XM is better but that is only because that is what most people know. They spend more in advertising and are more mainstream. Sirius is true commercial free programming. Some of XMs channels do have commercials, if I am paying for radio there damn well better not be any commercials but from what I have heard XM is partially owned by Clear Channel so it figures. I have listened to both and prefer Sirius' programming too. More of what I like but everyone has there own opinions.
The buffering really only works in bi-directional communications - like you have with the internet. The internet buffer is there to make sure that the packets get in and are reassembled in the proper order. A buffer can't exist with a radio (sat. or otherwise) and truly work. What you might have is a few seconds of stored audio, but there is no way to go back and pick up the missed parts.

As to XM being better and what is known, over a million people are paying for XM. Fewer than 150,000 are currently with Sirius. If there are commercials there are less than 2 minutes an hour on the stations that I have with pre-sets. I pay for cable TV but there are a ****load of commercials there. It's not really that big an arguement there. Sirius has had a much stronger TV ad presence and much more billboard ad space here in the NYC metro area. When you get into the fundamentals, it cost Sirius $522 for each new subscriber last quarter.

3% of XM stock is owned by ClearChannel. There are some programming agreements with talk shows distributed by ClearChannel and XM does rebroadcast KISS FM from Los Angeles. If you look at the operations at XM, ClearChannel has no input to channels, other than what they have in thier own audio feeds to XM.

My presets are 80, 81, 82, 44, 30, 150, 121, 72, 29.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Never had a problem with XM. I hear there are supposedly commerials (?) but I have yet to hear one. Besides-- the monthly subscription is a few bucks cheaper per month.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
this brings up a question, is XM and also OnStart a part of GM? I only see these features on GM cars, where sirus is on other non gm cars ??? thanks. oh yeah, i want to put XM in my Z along with other satiliate stuff... wana make my Z an all around sweet azz car.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Nov 4 2003, 02:49 AM
this brings up a question, is XM and also OnStart a part of GM? I only see these features on GM cars, where sirus is on other non gm cars ??? thanks. oh yeah, i want to put XM in my Z along with other satiliate stuff... wana make my Z an all around sweet azz car.
XM isn't a part of GM, GM just got a contract with them before everyone else did. Sirus now has a contract with Ford. Cause many of the 2004 Lincoln''s have it..

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by Davvy@Nov 4 2003, 12:50 PM
It works fine in CT.
I'm starting to think that there was a problem with the receiver. I haven't heard too many complaints... looks like Hertz had a defective antenna, considering the car was virtually brand new...

At least that's good news.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts