GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Originally posted by thatoneguy@Mar 29 2004, 08:12 PM
A Powermac G4

and an iBook.. what do u guys think of apple computers?
I am sure they are good comps. but I am always so confused with their OS... But everyone has their preference: mine is Windows

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
No name brand. Built myself out of the products I liked. My own choice of Video card, motherboard, sound, hard disk, etc... It's an Intel P4 2.53 chip.

I don't really like name brands, they are generally more expensive for no reason.
Unless you are going to use the tech support, etc... Why pay for it unnecessarily.

I guess it all depends on your computer skills.

I also have close to 50 computers currently in my Sub300.com warehouse.
And they can be yours if you visit my website: Sub300.com

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
2 Gateways... one's here w/ my @ school (mine) and one's @ home (family's)

As for Apple (Macs) -- I love OS X (Jaguar and Panther)

Oh, and I have an Audivox PocketPC

·
Registered
409 Posts
Think of this..
a concept with like saturn or ponitac.. colaboration with Apple.. Let them do the entertainment stuff .. dude it'd be awesome..

·
Registered
103 Posts
Self built AMD 2.5GHZ w/
MSI K7N8X Delta ILSR Motherboard
SATA 120 GB Western Digital
16x DVD-ROM
48x CDRW
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
EVGA GForce FX 5200 w/ 128mb DDR
1Gig (2 *512) Corsair in Dual Channel
All Alluminum Coolermaster case
Thermaltake Volcano Processor Cooler (6000 rpm)
Cold Cathode (blue) Case fan

IBM Laptop
Celeron 800

Family
Toshiba laptop
1.5ghz Celeron

Desktop built by me:
900 athlon
768MB PC133

Messin with an old 500 that was the old family comp before i gave them the 900 it is sometimes a router sometimes a server just practicing

·
Registered
922 Posts
My old computer was self built... Okay I took a class at work and we each built a computer with the option to buy. That was a great learning tool. Currently I have an eMachines with an AMD, I love going with the underdog, they are cheaper and in my experience they are just as good.

·
Registered
43,969 Posts
- PowerMac Dual-Proc G4 867MHz, 1.25 GB RAM, 2 internal HD's (100GB and 30GB), 3 external FireWire HDs (2 20GB and 1 40GB), CD-RW, Zip100, OSX Panther
- PowerBook G4 12" 867MHz, 640MB RAM, 30GB HD, DVD-R, OSX Panther
- PowerBook G3 333MHZ, 512 RAM, 40GB HD, OSX Panther
- Dell Latitude CPx PIII 667MHz, 256 MB RAM, Win2K
- Dell Optiplex GX100 PIII 667MHz 256 MB RAM, Win2K

- iPod 40GB
- iPod Mini (Blue)
- Palm Tungsten C

Looking to trash the PC's (Dells are such crap) and get a ThinkPad T40 and a Gateway or HP Desktop.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Power Mac G5, iBook and 12" aluminum Powerbook G4
all running Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther)
Oh yeah, my iPod too. It is a computer of sorts since it has it's own OS.

·
Registered
43,969 Posts
Originally posted by thatoneguy@Mar 29 2004, 09:12 PM
A Powermac G4

and an iBook.. what do u guys think of apple computers?
Practically born and raised on Apples in school.
I've had an SE, a IIcx, an 8600, a G3 B&W, a G4/466, and now my G4/867DP... not to mention the Powerbooks along the way.

I don't mind Windows. You need it in most professions that aren't Art/Design, Music, or Biotech. But I do mind all the unnecessary complexities that come along with it, not to mention the security problems and viruses. And you couldn't get me on WinXP, it's a horrible OS. Give me Win2K any day!! And despite all the updates on XP, I'm still shocked and amazed that installing a non-descript program like WS_FTP can screw up a number of other programs. And don't get me started on drivers either.... It's "Plug and Play" not "Plug and Pray." :(

Oh yeah.. and Macs use a *Nix OS nowadays. whoo hoo

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Originally posted by mgescuro@Mar 30 2004, 05:11 AM

- Dell Latitude CPx PIII 667MHz, 256 MB RAM, Win2K
- Dell Optiplex GX100 PIII 667MHz 256 MB RAM, Win2K

-
Looking to trash the PC's (Dells are such crap)
Don't trash em!...I'll buy them off of ya if the price is right....PM me and let me know what U want 2 do with them.

Now as 4 the computers I have:

Self built P4
Crapaq...I mean a P3 Compaq
P2 E-machine (which has held up way better than the Compaq :blink: )
A couple of 486 DX2s.

My poor Packard Bell has been missing in action since 96 :(

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
I love my Dell!!
4500 Dell. 2.25 ghz, 60 gig hd, 512 ram. DVD player with "aftermarket" HP CD 24x CD burner. This one is MINE!!
Some HP junk that doesnt work. 366 mhz, 4 gig hd, 128ram. CD-Rom is half alive. Thats the old family one. Thing is on the fritz.
-Garage computers(used for engine scanning and tuning)
Micron 100mhz PI, 1 gig hd, 52x CD-Rom(got that from school :p )
Toshiba Laptop. I dont know the facts, but it does what its told, and does it well. Used for when Im driving to scan the ECM for problems. Quite the tool that is. Will play a mega roll this summer.
and 3 other semi-usable laptops raning from a 386 to a P1 in prossesing power.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Originally posted by LGRpup@Mar 30 2004, 09:00 AM
My old computer was self built... Okay I took a class at work and we each built a computer with the option to buy. That was a great learning tool. Currently I have an eMachines with an AMD, I love going with the underdog, they are cheaper and in my experience they are just as good.
e machines won quite a few awards recently, That's why I just bought a new one.

What is sad, My dell pocket pc has a faster processor than my last computer. 400 mHz. Old com. was an HP with 350 mHz.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Originally posted by posaune+Mar 30 2004, 06:29 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (posaune @ Mar 30 2004, 06:29 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-LGRpup@Mar 30 2004, 09:00 AM
My old computer was self built... Okay I took a class at work and we each built a computer with the option to buy.  That was a great learning tool.  Currently I have an eMachines with an AMD, I love going with the underdog, they are cheaper and in my experience they are just as good.
e machines won quite a few awards recently, That's why I just bought a new one.

What is sad, My dell pocket pc has a faster processor than my last computer. 400 mHz. Old com. was an HP with 350 mHz. [/b][/quote]
Yeah, I have also seen and heard a lot of good about emachines. After hearing all of that I still bought my Sony :lol:

·
Registered
815 Posts
I have 3 Dells and 1 Gateway and 1 Nebulous and 1 Compaq Presario and 2 Compaq Proliants (servers) and YES I am a computer geek with 2 routers and a switch and a wireless router with a Domain and running Active Directory.

IMO for home users stay with Dell.

:D

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Right now I have a Bluetooth network in my home (that is sure an experiment) :blink:

And working on installing a router to network everything

1 - 20 of 40 Posts