GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So What About Solstice?
If roadster sales are collapsing, where’s that leave Pontiac?
by Jerry Flint
The Car Connection
2004-07-11

Everybody loves a sports car, right? So how come I picked up my Automotive News and read (July 5, page 1): "Summer's a bummer for two-seaters".

The story says, "The bottom has dropped out of America's small roadster market." We've got an important issue here. Not because of the sport cars on sale now, but because the Pontiac Solstice is coming next spring. The racy two-seater is Robert Lutz's effort to put some excitement back in GM cars. If the Solstice flops it could discredit the GM vice chairman and his work. As far as I'm concerned Lutz and his team are saving GM.

My advice to General Motors: keep the price low. Don't let the boy racers take over, pushing in a six and even an eight (cylinder engine), running up the power and the price. Keep it as a four.

Let the boy racers play with their 'Vettes.

Build a lifestyle around the car from the beginning. Solstice clubs, Class Solstice for fun racing, like Class V that was for Volkswagen Beetle racing in the old days.

FULL Article Here

·
Registered
776 Posts
I thought a boy racer WAS someone who plays with underpowered little girly-machines and thinks they're going fast.

Not that the Solstice will necessarily be that, but still. Here's hoping the 3.9L gets put in the Solstice, boy racer or no. That would be sweet.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Its much more likely that they will supercharge it.

That was a crappy article though. The only model that had really trailed off was the 350Z. I dont really have the inclination to into everything wrong with the article at the moment though.

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
Another "the sky is falling" chicken little article...wow...it's not enough that they bad mouth current GM cars, but now they have to knock cars that are not even on the market yet!

"The 2007 Camaro will flop because......."

WTF? Are you Karnack or something?

Because 2 seaters are soft now, it means bad news for a car thats comming out as a 2006 model?

·
Registered
131 Posts
This article is stupid. The reason the Small roadster market is stale is because the products are old and stale. The miata is old news, and the Mr2 spyder was a disapointment since it was introduced. This being said, GM needs to wake up and offer some real performance in the Solstice. A 140HP ecotec in a 3100 pound car is not going to cut it. People will buy this car if it truely is a good value. Dont make the same mistake that they made with the fiero where there cars performance could not back up its hot looks.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Originally posted by 2HOTZ28@Jul 11 2004, 06:20 PM
This article is stupid. The reason the Small roadster market is stale is because the products are old and stale. The miata is old news, and the Mr2 spyder was a disapointment since it was introduced. This being said, GM needs to wake up and offer some real performance in the Solstice. A 140HP ecotec in a 3100 pound car is not going to cut it. People will buy this car if it truely is a good value. Dont make the same mistake that they made with the fiero where there cars performance could not back up its hot looks.
I heard that the supercharged Ecotec was going in it? Here's to hoping that they s/c the 2.4 instead of the 2.2 like they are on the Cobalt. I don't think that Pontiac will have any problems moving the Solstice.

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jerry Flint seems to possess and uncanny ability to rile some people on this site. Sometimes he's correct, though most of the time he seems to be generally nihilistic with respect to the domestic automakers.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Everything about the Solstice looks good on paper....but that price, $20k....

knowing the background of recent GM products ($30k SSR, remember?) I wouldn't hold my breath.

:drevil:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Originally posted by ibechip@Jul 11 2004, 01:25 PM
I heard that the supercharged Ecotec was going in it? Here's to hoping that they s/c the 2.4 instead of the 2.2 like they are on the Cobalt. I don't think that Pontiac will have any problems moving the Solstice.
Currently, the only engine for the Solstice is the 170HP 2.4L I4. Also, they aren't going to supercharge the 2.2L in the Cobalt, they are going to supercharge the 2.0L.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Originally posted by mshu7+Jul 11 2004, 09:03 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mshu7 @ Jul 11 2004, 09:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ibechip@Jul 11 2004, 01:25 PM
I heard that the supercharged Ecotec was going in it?  Here's to hoping that they s/c the 2.4 instead of the 2.2 like they are on the Cobalt.  I don't think that Pontiac will have any problems moving the Solstice.
Currently, the only engine for the Solstice is the 170HP 2.4L I4. Also, they aren't going to supercharge the 2.2L in the Cobalt, they are going to supercharge the 2.0L. [/b][/quote]
Yeah I just realized that they're going to use the 2.0 on the SS after initially claiming that the 2.2 would go in it. Sure is a shame that they don't try to outmuscle Dodge. Horsepower wars with compacts could get fun!

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
For anyone who wanted a Miata but can't fit in one (read: any male over 5'9") this car will be a godsend. More room, more power, a little more substance and for a reasonable price. The writer of this article is full of crap. As mentioned, the market is soft because existing models have been around for AGES and/or just weren't popular from the get-go. (The only real exception is the 350Z, which is still relatively new, but somewhat pricey)

The Miata is getting a complete redesign very soon. Since it's the biggest-selling model in this category, once it gets its new body its sales will return.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Considering this is going to be an image car, I can’t see how someone could suggest that power doesn't matter. You don’t need a 6 or an 8 for a car this size to get speed. I would like to see the price low just like anyone else but see the need for these cars to make Pontiac look like the performance division it is. If it was coming from Saturn, I would say performance doesn’t matter and just making it fun and look cute would be enough but that’s not where Pontiac should be going. GM should figure out how to keep the cost down. 200 - 240 horsepower with a 4 and a price in the low 20s would be a great combination that GM and dealers shouldn't have to fudge up.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Pontiac might have the same trouble with this as they are having with the GTO. They upgrade the engine a year after being released, leaving many waiting to buy one in year number two as opposed to the first year. Why can't they put the more powerful motor in their cars in the first year of production?

·
Registered
304 Posts
I am entertaining the thought of getting a Solstice or possibly the upgraded GTO next year. I would be 10 times more likely to buy a Solstice if it had a V8 in it. :) :) I don't look for that to happen though.

·
Registered
809 Posts
If you can keep the weight down, you really don't need that powerful an engine. Look at the Lotus Elise. It has a 190 HP Celica engine in it yet posts sub-5 second 0-60 times. I doubt the Solstice will be as light as the Elise (and I hope not because that would drive up the costs and an Elise costs about 40K) but I know it will be much lighter than the GTO. Just because it doesn't have a 6 or 8, it doesn't necessarily mean that the car will be slow. If they can put it in the 230-240 range which is about where the Ion Red Line is (it's underrated), then it'd be a great performer.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Wow, they say that the roadsters are falling...yet corvette sales are up this year?
The Solstice will do good because it offers a good looking, sexy roadster for cheap. If they can make it a true handler like the way all the rags said it felt like, and the power was good for the car, then I think GM has a hit on there hands.

Dont start the V8 stuff again. Let it go, its not gunna happen, at least in production. The car is designed to take the ecotec motors, not V6's, not V8's. The Ecotec is a very strong powerplant and will give you the same thrill as a V8 without all that weight to mess up the handling.

·
Banned
895 Posts
Why exactly does GM need the Solstace? And why Pontiac?

Face it, at a low price, this car isn't going to have any guts. It might handle well, but it is a girl's car unless it has some horsepower. Add horsepower and the whiners at Chevrolet will be lobbying against that because it threatens their manhood Corvette.

I thought Pontiac had the halo car they wanted...the GTO...the morano with a bad hair day styling. This car makes some sense...v-8 power just like good Pontiacs have had for years.

The Solstace? A whimpy little weak-kneed vehicle that should be reserved for some cargo hold of some inbound Japanese cargo ship with a label from the dullards at Toyota.

The car has uninspiring, used bar of soap styling with enough front end pieces to make it look like it was someone's bad car-chop contest entry. It is afterall lauded as the donor to many bad taste entries here.

Now GM could have made the Solstace unique by making it a hybrid with four wheel drive (those regenerative braking systems as electric motors); it could have had torque out the wazzu and a unique environmental friendly approach that would have made tree huggers happy and would have created a niche that hadn't already existed.

Nope. GM is giving us a car that 10,000 or less will buy each year and will have no hope of being a cult item (that is unless Ralph Nader finds it unsafe even in the parking lot at standstill).

The Solstace was a nice concept car and should have stayed there.

·
Registered
13,157 Posts
The solstice is a winner. Priced right..and good performance will be key...

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm excited about the Solstace. I hope it proves everybody wrong. Where does it say that GM can't offer a small sports car thats fun to drive and something anyone can afford?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts