GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weekend Cars Face an Uncertain Future

Sales of most coupes and convertibles are in the ditch, alongside big pickups and SUVs, as customers decide they can do without their "weekend car."

Driving has always been about more than transportation. It's been about freedom. It's been about fun. Fantasy. Children dream about bring old enough to get behind the wheel for the first time and, when they do, they don't imagine themselves driving a family sedan. They see themselves driving something sporty, preferably with the top down.

But now, with gas prices soaring into dangerously unfamiliar territory, many Americans, even the well-off, are reevaluating their love affair with the car. Is it environmentally, financially, and morally responsible to drive fun cars purely for fun? So, while many potential buyers may be secretly lusting after that red convertible on the showroom floor, more and more are averting their eyes and buying hybrids instead.

http://www.businessweek.com/lifestyle/content/jun2008/bw2008066_563554.htm?campaign_id=yhoo

·
Registered
998 Posts
"But now, with gas prices soaring into dangerously unfamiliar territory, many Americans, even the well-off, are reevaluating their love affair with the car. Is it environmentally, financially, and morally responsible to drive fun cars purely for fun? So, while many potential buyers may be secretly lusting after that red convertible on the showroom floor, more and more are averting their eyes and buying hybrids instead."

Okay, they're really going to be overdoing it this week.

If there's one category that's pretty much survived to hits of this kind is the leasure vehicle category. If anything is hurting it, it's the slumping economy (convertible being often viewed as a luxury, for instance - and that image has never changed, unlike the one of SUVs... Heck, I don't understand why the way we view things stagnates for so long in Canada, SUVs, even with gas at over five bucks a gallon are still seen as nice big luxury vehicles, simply due to the amount of money you're forking out on them, they basically expose how rich you are) not gas prices.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I sold my 2nd car. I going to keep my 220,000+ mile beretta till she dies. I had her for 6yrs in 08-08. She just gave me 331 mile out of the last tank. She not a looker, but been the best car I ever had.
FOREVER EVER YES
I still look at the 09 cobalt SS.

·
Registered
44,427 Posts
Well, yes.
It is environmentally, financially, and morally responsible to drive fun cars purely for fun!!!

Say you drive a car with a V8 during the week. And your "weekend car" is a Solstice. It's smaller, carries just you around. And it's fun to drive. And it's economical.

What we'll eventually see is smaller cars like Solstice and Mini and Astra and Rabbit become more of the norm. And large V8 cars will just slowly fade to the background.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
To heck with the economy, our '04 Corvette is a "weekend car" and nobody is taking it away.

Like any other expense these days, such as leisure travel, boats, etc, an 'extra' car might be harder to justify, but there will always be a market for them.

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
"Is it environmentally, financially, and morally responsible to drive fun cars purely for fun? "

Please....
No kidding. People without a clue are clammering onto the hot topic of the day. There are plenty of avenues to attack before weekend cars get hit. How about everyone with a pleasure boat now has to turn it in. Each person in a household should then only get a certain square footage. You can only travel so far on vacation per year...etc. Pure B.S.

The last time I checked we were still living in America and people get to spend their money on what they want.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I responded to the article on the site. Given the fuel mileage numbers turned in by the Kappa twins; they chose a poor example to illustrate the piece.
My wife and I own three cars - all four door sedans.
My next purchase will be a sports car and will likely be a Pontiac Solstice GXP. In part, that's to save $'s on fuel.
Okay, it's also because I've thought about it and have decided - I'm never going to grow up!
Cheers,
Ed Arcuri

·
Registered
962 Posts
I responded to the article on the site. Given the fuel mileage numbers turned in by the Kappa twins; they chose a poor example to illustrate the piece.
My wife and I own three cars - all four door sedans.
My next purchase will be a sports car and will likely be a Pontiac Solstice GXP. In part, that's to save $'s on fuel.
Okay, it's also because I've thought about it and have decided - I'm never going to grow up!
Cheers,
Ed Arcuri

Actually, GM should advertise the Kappa's as economical commuter cars that offer the best of both worlds--economical, great design, and fun to drive.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Well, yes.
It is environmentally, financially, and morally responsible to drive fun cars purely for fun!!!

Say you drive a car with a V8 during the week. And your "weekend car" is a Solstice. It's smaller, carries just you around. And it's fun to drive. And it's economical.

What we'll eventually see is smaller cars like Solstice and Mini and Astra and Rabbit become more of the norm. And large V8 cars will just slowly fade to the background.
That would be my parents situation. They drive the Envoy XL when its more than just the two of them and drive the Solstice when it is just the two of them. To them, that is their "environmentally, financially, and morally" responsible car.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
In the meantime I'll have my Reatta at WOT

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
My 1969 Camaro only gets 10 MPG but i'm still going to drive it to car shows on the weekends even if gas is $10.00.:yup:
Ha, same here. I took my 94 Camaro out on Sunday morning and stopped to fill up on $4.13 premium gas on the way. Did it bother me? No, because this is my weekend car. So what if it gets 15mpg city and gas is $4+? Its not what I'm doing on a daily basis, so I can afford it.

The liberal media would love it if we all went out and bought foreign-made hybrid cars and stopped having FUN in life.

Don't believe the hype. The sky is not falling.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I dont believe this and i wont stop driving my cars, and I also drive a firebird everyday to and from work but if it is true then
Im worried about the new camaro and challanger!

is the corvette still selling well? and what about high-end supercars- I think they are doing well.

·
Registered
237 Posts
My 1969 Camaro only gets 10 MPG but i'm still going to drive it to car shows on the weekends even if gas is $10.00.:yup:

Yep same here, my 78 camaro gets maybe 12 perhaps 13 MPG but I drive it every chance I get. Its my main driver in the summer everywhere except for work.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I sold my 2nd car. I going to keep my 220,000+ mile beretta till she dies. I had her for 6yrs in 08-08. She just gave me 331 mile out of the last tank. She not a looker, but been the best car I ever had.
FOREVER EVER YES
I still look at the 09 cobalt SS.
Thats going to be a very long time. At 324,000+ my 89 Beretta GT was still running like new. I would still be driving if I wasn't rear end and a lot calmer in 2006 after finding out it would be 2009 until I'm would get my Camaro.

I disagree with you on the looks considering the car was designed around 1985 It looks very good to me however I reffering to the GT, GTZ and GTU Berettas. The base models don't looks as good at GTs. However, I 2nd the last part of that sentence.

Back to topic, Life is short and if you have a Weekend Car enjoy every mile.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
yep I will not stop driving on weekends my old 31 stovebolt and will keep putting premium on it :lmao:, ohh but wait mine gets close to 20mpg on a 77 year old engine:D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts