GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a customer come in the shop for an oil change. Another tech did it and wrote up a few upsells, one being a left front wheel bearing. Sure enough it had a LOT of free play in the wheel when you shake it up and down. The customer was highly pissed at the price to make the repair and claimed we were trying to rip her off. The tech documented the problem along with the service manager having her sign a release form saying we were not responsible for any accidents when we told her of the problem. She was really reluctant, but wasn't going to get her car back until she signed. She left with a few choice words for both the tech and service manager and went on her way. A few days later I'm on a test drive and saw a car on the side of the road. The wheel had fallen off and damaged just about everything on that side of the car. I talked to the tech and manager and came to find out both guys told her she would be on the side of the road very soon. Fast forward a few hours and a wrecker with the same unhappy customer in tears comes into the body shop. She admitted her wrongs and apologized to both guys. :lmao: I don't wish bad fortune on any of our customers, but I think we'd know much better about the cars than someone who doesn't.

Another funny story... I checked over one of our own salesman's car and sure enough found a bad left front hub bearing is shot, really bad tires, and brakes already on the metal and screaming. He declined all repairs. A month later he rear ends someone saying he had no brakes (DUH!!). He was eventually fired but was still pissed off at me thinking I had done something to cause the wreck. The service manager and sales manager both defended me in court and the evidence with his signature saying he knew about the problems on the Repair Order was enough for the judge to find the sales man at fault for negleting urgent repairs on his vehicle.

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
We had a customer come in the shop for an oil change. Another tech did it and wrote up a few upsells, one being a left front wheel bearing. Sure enough it had a LOT of free play in the wheel when you shake it up and down. The customer was highly pissed at the price to make the repair and claimed we were trying to rip her off. The tech documented the problem along with the service manager having her sign a release form saying we were not responsible for any accidents when we told her of the problem. She was really reluctant, but wasn't going to get her car back until she signed. She left with a few choice words for both the tech and service manager and went on her way. A few days later I'm on a test drive and saw a car on the side of the road. The wheel had fallen off and damaged just about everything on that side of the car. I talked to the tech and manager and came to find out both guys told her she would be on the side of the road very soon. Fast forward a few hours and a wrecker with the same unhappy customer in tears comes into the body shop. She admitted her wrongs and apologized to both guys. :lmao: I don't wish bad fortune on any of our customers, but I think we'd know much better about the cars than someone who doesn't.

Another funny story... I checked over one of our own salesman's car and sure enough found a bad left front hub bearing is shot, really bad tires, and brakes already on the metal and screaming. He declined all repairs. A month later he rear ends someone saying he had no brakes (DUH!!). He was eventually fired but was still pissed off at me thinking I had done something to cause the wreck. The service manager and sales manager both defended me in court and the evidence with his signature saying he knew about the problems on the Repair Order was enough for the judge to find the sales man at fault for negleting urgent repairs on his vehicle.
That is a familiar story. They will say "I can't afford to fix the car." How about the price of a new car if you do not fix it?

·
Registered
822 Posts
I saw a situation like this but with a bad ending.
The customer came back claiming that the shop sabotaged the vehicle and caused the wreck.

I'm glad that she is OK and that eveything seems to be working out for everyone now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts