GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sitting in the shop yesterday waiting for a resonator to be welded in and heard them come out from the shop and tell this to a 70ish year old man who was having an oil change.

"We just wrapped up the change, but there was a problem it seems the brake lines going to the rear wheels are rusty, we can't let you take the car until they are replaced. On these Toyota's they are covered under a plastic shield, that will take about half an hour to take off if you want to have a look. When we get there, it's hard to say, you could need new fuel lines as well.

Then there was a lady who was having her annual safety inspection ($25, no tax, government requirement yearly) and the mechanic came out to the store front and said "her muffler is getting pin holes in it, nothing big enough I could fail it, but we'll "GET HER NEXT TIME FOR AN EXHAUST SYSTEM".

These kind of people pizz me off.

Oh and that Toyota with rusty lines that were apparently so bad they couldn't "morally allow him to go home" was an 04 Camry. Somehow they knew it was rusty, but needed to charge him for a half hour labour just to take a cover off and prove it ($35/halfhour).

I got out of there reasonably ok. $70 for the resonator, 1 hour labor (70) 20 fee for mig welding, 6 bucks for a clamp, 3 for shop supplies, a $2 environmental charge.... WTF?

Sounds like a Bimmer stealer-ship huh? lol Some hole in the ground shop with a tow truck and a licence to steal.

I'm glad I do all my own work usually, but I wasn't touching another exhaust system with a ten foot pole.

·
Registered
528 Posts
They knew the lines were "rusty" because pretty much every car that comes in their probably has them. ( Or at least that certain model ) With all the cars they see, they know what a lot of the common problems, or easy sales are.

They are called up-sales, get a customer in for one thing, and hit them for something else. These are very common with quick lube places. That is how they make a majority of their money. They don't make much on a $19.95 oil change, but they do on a $59.95 fuel system service or a $25.99 fuel filter.

On my old truck, I once took it in to get the front brake pads replaced ( I lived in an apartment, no tools or space to do it myself ) They replaced the pads but then said my master cylinder needed to be rebuilt or replaced and wouldn't let me leave with it in this condition. Oh yeah, a new one costs about $540. Sounds a little familiar huh? I fought tooth and nail to get my truck back without them touching it. I even had to talk to the owner to get it back. They even voided my warranty because the brakes future was deemed "unsafe".

I get the truck home and examine the master cylinder. The seal between the booster and firewall has a leak and it was loosing a little pressure. I could barely notice it in the brake pedal. I went down to my local napa and paid $12.95 for a new seal, and an hour later the truck was just fine. Oh yeah, I put another 40,000 miles on it without any problems whatsoever.

Some of these places will try to rob you.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Midas does this constantly.

Back when I drove the Safari I wanted them to replace the fuel filter. They came back and said "Oh there's rust on the fuel lines near the filter, so we'll have to replace a big section." They quoted me $170.

I said "no thanks" and drove to the GMC dealership in town. They replaced the filter without problem, for ~$40 I think (it's been a while, at any rate it was significantly cheaper than $170).

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
My dad is a mechanic with 25+ years experience and has a very large clientele. This is mostly because he is completely honest with his customers. A garage he worked at briefly last year was one of those crooked places and once he realized what they were doing, he quit, he didn't want his name being associated with those types of places.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
I thought rust issue was with Tacoma frames, not Camry brake lines

1 - 6 of 6 Posts