GM Inside News Forum banner

We might have government mandated "kill switches" in our future vehicles

6K views 67 replies 23 participants last post by  Chebby Comrade 
#1 ·
#3 ·
There is so much in there that nobody knows what's in it. As our modern day Socrates once stated, "We need to pass that bill so we know what's in it." In most businesses that would get you fired at the very least.

#6 ·
Anyone who isn't concerned about this sort of power being allotted to the government must be utterly ignorant of any part of human history.

#8 ·
Totally agree. There’s a seemingly endless supply of naive people.

If they wanted to lock down due to whatever they would need to allow you to drive to the grocery store. What that means is they will have the ability to see exactly where you are going and depending on who’s in charge at the time your travel could be restricted.

It would probably also be tied into your road use tax bill at the very least.

It always blows me away when people are so quick to give up their freedoms.

#15 ·
The party that is the reason that up until about 30 years ago, the American Communist Party used to run a candidate for president every four years. Since that time, the CPUSA just explicitly or implicitly endorses the Democratic candidate for president. The goals of the two parties are now so closely aligned that the CPUSA no longer sees the point of fielding a candidate.

#14 ·
My next new vehicle will probably be my last new vehicle. Don't get me wrong, I think the new stuff is great, with performance and handling that is light years ahead of the older vehicles, but they just have too many things that can potentially go wrong in them, add in the fact that big brother will be watching our every move and I'm just leary of buying the next few generations of cars. I'm thinking about getting myself an older C/K pickup thats easy to work on. I'll keep my 61 Bel Air and maybe add one more classic to my garage and be done with it.

#50 ·
The more electronic gizmos that enable outside interference, the more able and willing will be hackers, either gummint or private criminals, to hack in and create a wreck, drive the car where they want it so the passengers can be robbed, kidnapped, shaken down, etc. This is a Brave New World. As noted above, OnStar already allows a shut-down.

You ain't seen nuthin yet.

#51 ·
The more electronic gizmos that enable outside interference, the more able and willing will be hackers, either gummint or private criminals, to hack in and create a wreck, drive the car where they want it so the passengers can be robbed, kidnapped, shaken down, etc. This is a Brave New World. As noted above, OnStar already allows a shut-down.

You ain't seen nuthin yet.
As much as I would like to stop drunk driving (only reason for such a switch or to stop a high speed pursuit) I am not willing to give up my freedom for it. Government riding with me? No. Becomes easy to do a road tax, I already pay gas taxes when I fill up so no thanks.

The next generation GM infotainment is already ‘Googled’ with integration which I do not mind from what I know. (Can’t mind both GMCs on order have it) However as time progresses I don’t want to get too far down that rabbit hole.

I would much rather give Apple or Google my dearest data (or Microsoft) and have them in my car as opposed to Facebook/Meta, Ticktok (Chinese app and I don’t trust it, the thing all the young people use) or Amazon. (I try to shop Walmart, Costco, Target, BestBuy, B&H/Adorama, local stores and retailers before I go to Amazon)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.