GM Inside News Forum banner
61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
In want to be safely free then. :rolleyes: ;) .
But that is a selfish safety/freedom. Think of the big picture. It's not really about what I want, or what you want. It's about what EVERYBODY wants.

Another person's freedom can reduce my safety.
Another person's safety can reduce my freedom.

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
But that is a selfish safety/freedom. Think of the big picture. It's not really about what I want, or what you want. It's about what EVERYBODY wants.

Another person's freedom can reduce my safety.
Another person's safety can reduce my freedom.

I'd think this has already been posted, but it's certainly appropriate:

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
I'd think this has already been posted, but it's certainly appropriate:

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

- Benjamin Franklin
But that's just hyperbole. Yes of course, who'd want to give up ESSENTIAL liberty for just a LITTLE, TEMPORARY safety.

But just as well, I'm sure that most everybody would be willing to give up a little, temporary liberty to gain some essential safety (we do it all the time).

The truth is in the balance. Nobody wants either extreme (all freedom/no safety; or all safety/no freedom). And if you think all freedom AND all safety is what you want, great. Too bad it's impossible.

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
But that's just hyperbole. Yes of course, who'd want to give up ESSENTIAL liberty for just a LITTLE, TEMPORARY safety.

But just as well, I'm sure that most everybody would be willing to give up a little, temporary liberty to gain some essential safety (we do it all the time).

The truth is in the balance. Nobody wants either extreme (all freedom/no safety; or all safety/no freedom). And if you think all freedom AND all safety is what you want, great. Too bad it's impossible.

I agree with your last sentence.

But I think that giving government the ability at any time to spy on you, track you location, and flip a kill switch to kill your car is wrong. That isn't giving up a "little, temporary liberty," that's giving up your innate rights to privacy and security, and it's not temporary. And there is no benefit to the citizen from this.

Believe it or not, I'm not a nutty conspiracy theorist or some extreme libertarian who thinks that the government should fight wars and do absolutely nothing else. But giving them the ability (really, more ability) to monitor and control people doesn't sit will with me.

·
Registered
100 Posts
All they have to do is black out facebook & twitter for a day and society would be back to the Stone Age with people having to talk to human beings…
They don't even need to black out Twitter, it should disappear from the face of universe as in get shut down.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts