GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
36,400 Posts
Wow, what other crap is tucked away in that bill. So they could disable all of our cars to enforce a Covid lockdown.... Certainly tech the Chinese would love.
There is so much in there that nobody knows what's in it. As our modern day Socrates once stated, "We need to pass that bill so we know what's in it." In most businesses that would get you fired at the very least.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
It could be nice for you if your car was stolen. Execute remote shutdown.

But yes, like every new potentially "good" thing invented, we must consider, "How might this be misused by bad people?"

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
Anyone who isn't concerned about this sort of power being allotted to the government must be utterly ignorant of any part of human history.

·
Registered
9,148 Posts
Anyone who isn't concerned about this sort of power being allotted to the government must be utterly ignorant of any part of human history.
Totally agree. There’s a seemingly endless supply of naive people.

If they wanted to lock down due to whatever they would need to allow you to drive to the grocery store. What that means is they will have the ability to see exactly where you are going and depending on who’s in charge at the time your travel could be restricted.

It would probably also be tied into your road use tax bill at the very least.

It always blows me away when people are so quick to give up their freedoms.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts

If they wanted to lock down due to whatever they would need to allow you to drive to the grocery store. What that means is they will have the ability to see exactly where you are going and depending on who’s in charge at the time your travel could be restricted.

And yet you carry a cell phone.

·
Registered
19,658 Posts

Don't pay your taxes - they turn your car off.
Don't pay your bills - they turn your car off.

Not that it is right to not pay what you owe, but your life can really be crippled.

·
Registered
710 Posts
It could be nice for you if your car was stolen. Execute remote shutdown.

But yes, like every new potentially "good" thing invented, we must consider, "How might this be misused by bad people?"
Can't an ONSTAR operator shut down power to the car that is stolen? Honest question, I don't own a vehicle with Onstar. Thought I read about this technology years ago.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
My next new vehicle will probably be my last new vehicle. Don't get me wrong, I think the new stuff is great, with performance and handling that is light years ahead of the older vehicles, but they just have too many things that can potentially go wrong in them, add in the fact that big brother will be watching our every move and I'm just leary of buying the next few generations of cars. I'm thinking about getting myself an older C/K pickup thats easy to work on. I'll keep my 61 Bel Air and maybe add one more classic to my garage and be done with it.

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
One question.

What political party members wrote, sponsored, passed and signed this bill into law?

The party that is the reason that up until about 30 years ago, the American Communist Party used to run a candidate for president every four years. Since that time, the CPUSA just explicitly or implicitly endorses the Democratic candidate for president. The goals of the two parties are now so closely aligned that the CPUSA no longer sees the point of fielding a candidate.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Cars will be more and more connected. There is a real concern that a hacker can take over a car.
A kill switch could be useful. We need cars to communicate between them to achieve autonomous driving. That leaves a door open to any hijacker.

Just take the time to imagine a terrorist taking control of your car while your in it with your family and using it as a battering ram against pedestrians or buildings.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Cars will be more and more connected. There is a real concern that a hacker can take over a car.
A kill switch could be useful. We need cars to communicate between them to achieve autonomous driving. That leaves a door open to any hijacker.

Just take the time to imagine a terrorist taking control of your car while your in it with your family and using it as a battering ram against pedestrians or buildings.
Or trees. Michael Hastings the journo, it is said

1 - 20 of 68 Posts