GM Inside News Forum banner

Wazz up @ Dodge Truck?

3K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  fish factory 
#1 ·
Just for kicks, I went to the '09 Dodge site. One can compare the tow/haul capacities of Dodge vs. Nissan, GMC, Toyota, or Chevy. The new Dodge tows as much as 1 TON less and carries 500# LESS than Chevy half tons. In fact, the weakest of all listed.

Ya think the weak link could be that highly touted Dodge independent rear suspension? Maybe some old left over Mercedes Benz parts? :D:D:D

#2 ·
I'm fairly certain it is the new suspension. In reality, how many trucks have been sold that hardly ever carry more than a bag of trash or a few 2x4's over the last 5 years? Dodge had good plans in place for this truck- but the rear suspension should've been optional.

Every automaker is kicking themselves in the ass over R&D with their truck lineup right now except GM. Let's keep it that way!!

#3 ·
Just for kicks, I went to the '09 Dodge site.

Ya think the weak link could be that highly touted Dodge independent rear suspension? Maybe some old left over Mercedes Benz parts? :D:D:D
It is a coil spring solid axle, not independent. It uses the same old 9.25" axle they've been using for decades. The only difference is links and coils.
And yes, that's why the payload is less.

#5 ·
Also, if a half-ton truck was maxed out (according to specs) on a regular basis, it would age exponentially! Braking could also be an issue. For 90%+ of half-ton truck users, they'll never get close to maxing the truck out regularly. That's why people buy 3/4 and 1-ton trucks...repetitive chassis abuse!

#8 ·
Well no, most probably know that. My 69 C/10 has a coil sprung rear end, any amount of decent weight would make it noticably squat. Likearock and shotgun both said it: most trucks don't get used as trucks nowadays, so it makes since to go back to smoother riding coils as a selling point.

#9 ·
Yeah, but is sure looks tough as hell in those commercials!

I hate Chrysler, but I've actually grown fond of the new Ram's looks and some of the cool little touches here and there, like available vented front seats, wrapped/stitched dash, floor coolers/storage, bedside storage, etc. I'd never buy one, but I'd sure as hell rather see them on the road than the 56,542,298,764 Tundras I see every day.

#10 ·
well of course they look tough in the commercials, what truck doesn't? remember those ridiculous Tundra commercials? If you want to tow 10,000 pounds on a regular basis you get an HD. Towing capacity is the last thing 95% of half-ton owners need to worry about. But don;t tell that to ford, towing capacity has been there major selling point well.....forever.

#11 ·
Yeah, but is sure looks tough as hell in those commercials!

I hate Chrysler, but I've actually grown fond of the new Ram's looks and some of the cool little touches here and there, like available vented front seats, wrapped/stitched dash, floor coolers/storage, bedside storage, etc. I'd never buy one, but I'd sure as hell rather see them on the road than the 56,542,298,764 Tundras I see every day.
What does that tell you?

#15 ·
Its really unfortunate how many immature people are on this forum.

Looks like its gonna be hard to find any useful information.:(
Quite the contrary actually. But when a new user with a name like "LiftedTundra" begins posting comments hinting at the superiority of GM's biggest rival you are bound to face a little scrutiny. And with good reason too. An individual would receive the same treatment on a pro-Toyota forum website. So either suck it up or move on.

#17 ·
X2 on the public being swayed by the stupid Tundra commercials. Does anybody actually think that those tests they are doing are for real? Like the Tundra stopping just before it falls a couple miles down a mountain to its death???? Whats the word they use now...dramitization, yeah thats it

#18 ·
My sister used to own a 2002 Dodge Ram, She bought it brand new, It broke on the first day!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.