GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MY car should still be under factory warranty but i was told it's no longer good after that car has been smashed, This true? I have a sun visor that the mirror cover is dandling because the spring or whatever keeps tension on it has let go, so now must i buy a new one with my own money because my car had some front end damage?

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Rebuilt title voids all warranty.

Sorry.
Yep. Salvage or Rebuilt = No Warranty

It sucks because lots of new cars that get in small accidents are written off by the insurance company and sold to people that repair them for resale. It makes sense though because anything could have happened to the car and the manufacturer shouldn't have to pay to repair stuff that broke in an accident they had no involvement in.

I think too many cars get a Salvage title for little damage, but that's all up to the insurance companies.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
How would the dealer ever know it's a salvaged vehicle? They don't do title searches when warranty work is being done. I'd take a chance, the work you are having done has nothing to do with the front end of the car and I doubt they would even notice.

·
Registered
586 Posts
We are going to see alot more cars "totaled" as we shift to smaller cars. In the event of an accident anything short of a fender-bender will impact "crumple zones". We can look forward to higher insurance rates since even a minor accident will be big bucks to fix. Thanks CAFE

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
How would they know?............................

Well theres a newfangled invention out there thats called the computer
connected to something called the internet..................

Its just "big brother" out to screw you over just because you bought a
salvage/rebuilt title car !

Not to mention most insurance companies will not provide collision/comp.
coverage on a salvage/rebuilt title vehicle.

·
Registered
6,363 Posts
When the dealership runs the vehicle info through GM it says "salvage title-warranty void".

Even if you got someone who wasn't on the ball to fix the vehicle under warranty, when it got submitted to GM they would't get paid. THEN they'd find out the warranty was no good?

Then guess what?

In the fine print of most service repair orders where they tell you to sign it says that if for any reason the manufacturer doesn't pay for the repair, you will.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Dude, just buy the clip/visor. I'd bet money it wouldn't have gone bad if it wasn't for the accident.....meaning it's not GM's fault it is broken, so warranty wouldn't/shouldn't cover it. The proper step would be to claim it on the insurance.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
How would they know?............................

Well theres a newfangled invention out there thats called the computer
connected to something called the internet..................

Its just "big brother" out to screw you over just because you bought a
salvage/rebuilt title car !

You mean that jughead behind the desk in the service dept.? He can barely figure out the dealer's internal workorder system and you're worried about him becoming a narc for salvage vehicle warranty claims? Then again, GM is suing employees for extending employee discounts undesirables.....anything is possible.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
You mean that jughead behind the desk in the service dept.? He can barely figure out the dealer's internal workorder system and you're worried about him becoming a narc for salvage vehicle warranty claims? Then again, GM is suing employees for extending employee discounts undesirables.....anything is possible.

Easy there...:blah:

We face this issue all the time, and it can provided costly to the customer if they bought a vehicle unknowingly with a salvale history, or to the dealer if the customer was dishonest...and we all know customers are ALL honest, just GM dealers are crooks!

Signed,

GMI's "jughead";)
GMCSonoma

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I used to get these calls in customer service fairly regularly. If it's salvaged or anything else that effects the warranty, it will show in the system. Warranty claims submitted will be denied, even if something is unrelated to the reason for it being salvaged.

·
Premium Member
2,431 Posts
Here's the thing, if you buy your car, the title must be branded as "rebuilt salvage" or "Restored Salvage", or some other brand if it has ever been declared a total loss.
It is possible to wash a title from the previous status to clean, but it will still show up electronically.
The best way to tell is to call your insurance agent.
They can run an ISO search on the VIN and determine if any insurance company has declared the car a total loss.
Now, some insurance companies will declare a car to be a total loss, even though the person elects to have the vehicle repaired out of their own pocket (cancels the claim) or through another company that does not agree that the vehicle should be a total loss. In that case you are certainly not in good hands.

In terms of warranty issues, yes a total loss will cause the vehicle to be no longer under factory warranty. The dealer will get their information from many sources, some of which are the DMV. If the declaration is in error, just take them your title and demonstrate.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
As a "Jughead" talking I've seen what happens when people try to sneak one by, they end up paying.
Every customer we deal with is supposed to get a "GMVIS" (GM Vehicle Info System) report done, it is evident when this is run (it takes two seconds) if there is applicable warrenties or if they are blocked.
I screwed up about a week ago when it came to this (I got too busy for my experience) and didnt run a few, one was for a "Write off-Rebuild" and we got decliened the warrenty payment. My fault...I tracked down the customer, admitted he knew it was a write-off and that he knew the warrenty was void, he ended up paying with out a problem, which was cool.

·
Registered
1 Posts
when the car is at the dealership for service the VIN is entered into a database along with the current miles.The system shows previous work performed along with a Title status
"Salvage" or "Branded" along with date and state it was reported

1 - 17 of 17 Posts