GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Volkswagen has previewed its smallest electric car yet at the Munich Mobility Show - and it doubles as a cinema on wheels.
The ID.Life concept is a teaser for the ID.2 compact crossover model set to sit below the already-on-sale ID.3 hatchback from 2025 and - in pre-production form - provides up to 248 miles of range on a full charge.
The car unveiled in Munich this week has a flexible lounge-like seating design and a retractable screen and projector for owners to kick back and watch films.

Bosses said it will cost as little as €20,000 when it hits showrooms in four years' time, which is around £17,000 in the UK. That's around £3,000 less than the current smallest VW crossover - the T-Cross - and also cheaper than the Polo supermini, which starts from £17,300.

VW bosses say the ID.Life is a 'vision' of a fully electric small car for use in urban environments, with this particular design centred around young people and communal experiences.

For instance, the concept vehicle can be used as a mini cinema or a gaming centre with a retractable projection screen sits in front of the windscreen to be used when the car is parked up.

The backrests of the front bench can also be folded flat to create an extended seating design for users to relax and enjoy the big screen.
Other scatterings of tech include side cameras instead of door mirrors, a nine-inch touch display and door pockets with integrated wireless charging for smartphones.

While sitting back, they can extend a projector screen that sits in front of the windscreen to watch films of play video games

Volkswagen says it had originally planned to launch a small EV by 2023 but has delayed the release by two years.
This is due to the complexity and challenges of making a dinky electric model with the capacity to cover almost 250 miles on a single charge and that can be sold for under €20,000.
Ralf Brandstätter, Volkswagen's chief executive, says the aim of its first small EV is to make 'electric mobility accessible to even more people'.

It also has a number of innovative features unlikely to make it to production.
This includes the unusual roof and bonnet, which are made from an air-filled fabric constructed from recycled plastic bottles.
The roof panel attaches to the vehicle with zips so it can be removed quickly and easily for convertible motoring - though is probably not the ideal security device to keep any valuables safe inside.
Another concept-only design element is the paintwork; a clear finish made from woodchips and an organic hardener to give the car a unique glossy look.
The concept car's cabin has recycled wood panels, seat covers made from an eco-velour textile and tyres consisting of bio-oil, natural rubber and rice husks.
The production version - like the ID.Life concept - will be built on the existing MEB platform that already underpins the ID.3 hatchback and ID.4 SUV.

LINK

No cup holders, fails at the first hurdle, next.

·
Registered
9,018 Posts
Whether you like this or not I'm hopeful that the electric movement will allow designers to be a little more creative than what they've been the last ten years or more.

I can't imagine being a designer and being tasked with yet another SUV day after day. It has to be such a drain on your creativity.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Lets hope you are right, big swede.

I think in the future EV's will either have to look like SUV's regardless as the batteries are stored under the floor, or use the trunk as battery storage spaces at the front/rear which means the cargo area will have to be compromised.

Ford filled the trunk up with batteries in the Focus EV they sold in Europe the useful hatchback cargo area was rendered totally useless, it was a total sale flop just 70 sales in 2015, and 61 in 2016 so Ford pulled the plug out of the Focus EV production line in Germany. Ford Mach-e was destined to be the next generation Focus EV midway through the design process the decided to add the Mustang to justify such a high price tag, as nobody would have touched it as an Focus SUV, the Mondeo is remerging surfacing looking more like an SUV as well.

If you don't like SUV shape its going life is going to be tough in the future.

Reactions: richmond2000

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
13,044 Posts
Whether you like this or not I'm hopeful that the electric movement will allow designers to be a little more creative than what they've been the last ten years or more.

I can't imagine being a designer and being tasked with yet another SUV day after day. It has to be such a drain on your creativity.
Yeah, even though the SUV is all the rage these daze(sic), I would like to see more cars in the mix with everything going electric and the skateboard platform freeing things up :unsure: underneath sort of.

·
Registered
9,535 Posts

so far I have not seen MUCH in the way of CREATIVE designs as I assume aero + battery packaging is "forcing" the blob SUV look we are seeing a lot of right now

·
Registered
9,018 Posts
so far I have not seen MUCH in the way of CREATIVE designs as I assume aero + battery packaging is "forcing" the blob SUV look we are seeing a lot of right now
Well we are in the infant stages of electric cars so it will take time. Hopefully it happens.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts