GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Why not?

Why not?
This thread is about VW using the Scout model name, right? Which in point it clearly already does.
You probably have some covid brain fog still hanging around, IT IS NOT A SKODA!!

Just had a look in at VW's main news website it mentions VW have plans to electrify the American US brands iconic Scout, since, when has Skoda been an American brand nota2?

VW NEWSROOM
05/11/22
Wolfsburg
Volkswagen Group News
Press Release

Volkswagen Group to launch all-electric pick-up and rugged SUV in the United States

• Volkswagen Group plans to electrify iconic U.S.-brand Scout
  • Start of production planned for 2026

• Herbert Diess, CEO: “Electrification provides a historic opportunity to now enter the highly attractive pick-up and R-SUV segment as a Group, underscoring our ambition to become a relevant player in the U.S. market.”
  • Independent company to be founded to design, engineer, and manufacture pick-up and rugged SUV (R-SUV) for the U.S. market
Volkswagen Group will launch an all-electric pick-up and rugged SUV in the United States. The decision of the Board of Management was confirmed today by the Supervisory Board of the Volkswagen Group.

The vehicles will be designed, engineered, and manufactured in the U.S. for American customers. To this end, a separate, independent company will be established in the U.S. this year as the Volkswagen Group moves the strong iconic U.S.-brand Scout into the electric vehicle space. The first prototypes are to be unveiled next year, and production is scheduled to start in 2026. The electrified Scout brand will be built upon a new technical platform concept which brings new pickup and RUV credibility beyond the existing Volkswagen Group portfolio.

Herbert Diess, CEO Volkswagen AG: “After Volkswagen’s successful turnaround in the U.S., we are now taking the opportunity to further strengthen our position in one of the most significant growth markets for EVs. Electrification provides a historic opportunity to enter the highly attractive pick-up and R-SUV segment as a Group, underscoring our ambition to become a relevant player in the U.S. market.”

Success in the R-SUV & pick-up segments is a key lever to increasing profitability in the U.S. and achieving the targeted market share of ten percent. The Volkswagen Group is thus continuing to systematically expand its presence in one of the most significant global growth markets.

Arno Antlitz, CFO Volkswagen AG: “The company we will establish this year will be a separate unit and brand within the Volkswagen Group to be managed independently. This aligns with the new Group steering model - small units that act agilely and have access to our tech platforms to leverage synergies.”

LINK

I expect VW have got it all wrong as well nota2?

Reactions: MisterMe and nota2

·
Registered
204 Posts
You probably have some covid brain fog still hanging around, IT IS NOT A SKODA!!

I expect VW have got it all wrong as well nota2?
Hey genius in reality you can bet your arse it’s going to be more of a VW (hence including skoda scout) than anything International, lol

Btw where did I allude to ‘VW getting it all wrong’?

Please advise..

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,709 Posts
Hey genius in reality you can bet your arse it’s going to be more of a VW (hence including skoda scout) than anything International, lol
I would hope so. Ever been in a real Scout? "Crude" is how I would describe it.
Also, in the interest of historical accuracy, VW must make every interior part a slightly different color.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Also, in the interest of historical accuracy, VW must make every interior part a slightly different color.
Yes!
Back in the 70s drove one of those swamp green Scouts with the rock hard ‘industrial’ grade suspension & shaky slant 4 which rattled its doors merely stationary. Not to mention diabolical steering, brakes. Hard work. Built like a Truck, in the earlier literal.

Fwiw also the (1962?) Studebaker Champ 2WD ‘step side’ imho a great h/d unit hereabouts.

Both of these were CKD locally assembled btw, the former derivatives until into near the 1980s? International-brand OE-design ACCO trucks uniquely produced here locally until recently, still utilising its initially advanced Cab design which had debuted back in the earlier 1970s, a 50 year production run!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
The Scout--actually, the Scout II--went out of production in 1980. That was 42 years ago. There is absolutely no reason to believe that the new Scout will not meet current buyer expectations of a SUV or electric SUV.

·
Registered
11,709 Posts
Yes!
Back in the 70s drove one of those swamp green Scouts with the rock hard ‘industrial’ grade suspension & shaky slant 4 which rattled its doors merely stationary. Not to mention diabolical steering, brakes. Hard work. Built like a Truck, in the earlier literal.
Buddy's is of that vintage with a V8.
Still a rough bugger.
Although it's in Podunk, IA now, it was an AZ truck and therefore a rust free survivor.

The Scout--actually, the Scout II--went out of production in 1980. That was 42 years ago. There is absolutely no reason to believe that the new Scout will not meet current buyer expectations of a SUV or electric SUV.
I hope they don't try to copy a modern Land Rover or even Rivian.
Scouts never had anything to do with luxury or creature comforts.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
I hope they don't try to copy a modern Land Rover or even Rivian.
Scouts never had anything to do with luxury or creature comforts.
Its gotta have Bronco/Jeep level of creature comforts or its a no go. I don't think the market would accept it, and I don't think VW would make any money on it. And with the EV transition, nobody is throwing cash around at things that don't work.

I kind of like the renderings. Its probably a good way to dip their toe into the mamoth pool that is the US Truck/SUV market.

·
Registered
11,709 Posts
Its gotta have Bronco/Jeep level of creature comforts or its a no go. I don't think the market would accept it, and I don't think VW would make any money on it. And with the EV transition, nobody is throwing cash around at things that don't work.
They don't need to go beyond that.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Reactions: 1958carnut

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
They can go ahead and price themselves out of the market.
Then they can deal a failed brand.

It's not like people in the US buy into VW to begin with...
First of all, these new eSUVs will be Scouts, not Volkswagens. Scout will be owned by Volkswagen.But what if they were? People in the US here on Earth Prime like Volkswagen and its subsidiaries just fine. These include Volkswagen, Audi, Porsche, Bentley, Lamborghini, and International Trucks and Busses. Many VW-owned brands manufacture their vehicles in the United States. Scout will join that number.

Yes, it is possible that Volkswagen will forget all that it has learned about the US market when it begins to develop the Scout EV. But then I may also win the PowerBall lottery next week.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
First of all, these new eSUVs will be Scouts, not Volkswagens. Scout will be owned by Volkswagen.But what if they were? People in the US here on Earth Prime like Volkswagen and its subsidiaries just fine. These include Volkswagen, Audi, Porsche, Bentley, Lamborghini, and International Trucks and Busses. Many VW-owned brands manufacture their vehicles in the United States. Scout will join that number.

Yes, it is possible that Volkswagen will forget all that it has learned about the US market when it begins to develop the Scout EV. But then I may also win the PowerBall lottery next week.
So is that the plan to sell it as a Scout and thats it?

VW Scout would sound weird. And I'm guessing International probably won't want their name on it or VW for that matter?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts

VW Scout would sound weird. And I'm guessing International probably won't want their name on it or VW for that matter?
Don't play the lottery because you will lose every dime to your name. I know for a fact that International is just fine with its name on the Scout. Why am I so certain? It's simple. Navistar International is 100% owned by the Traton Group, formerly Volkswagen Truck & Bus AG. Traton is 89.7% owned by the Volkswagen Group. So that agreement that Volkswagen reached with Navistar International to use the Scout name is an agreement with itself.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
14,544 Posts

Nah, not really. Of course IMO that is ;)
Don't play the lottery because you will lose every dime to your name. I know for a fact that International is just fine with its name on the Scout. Why am I so certain? It's simple. Navistar International is 100% owned by the Traton Group, formerly Volkswagen Truck & Bus AG. Traton is 89.7% owned by the Volkswagen Group. So that agreement that Volkswagen reached with Navistar International to use the Scout name is an agreement with itself.
Yup. I really see no problem in how they're going about this.... And... Just as long :rolleyes: as we(they) don't start putting HARVESTER on things too. lol

·
Registered
11,709 Posts
People aren't stupid. They'll know they're VWs.
They'll also know they're not Audi, Porsche, Bentley or Lamborghini.

And... Just as long :rolleyes: as we(they) don't start putting HARVESTER on things too. lol
If I had one, I'd totally put vintage IH badges on it.

·
Premium Member
11,660 Posts
Supposedly VW is not bringing (Ranger based Amorok) it to the US.
Ford flat out wouldn’t let them bring T6 Amorok to the US to compete against Ranger and IIRC, the head of VW North America said a bit about that in public much to the chagrin of Ford executive.

On the VW Scout, there’s something off putting about foreign corporates owning iconic American brands/vehicle names. I get the feeling that a lot of Americans wouldn’t buy it on principle but could be very wrong about that…

21 - 40 of 45 Posts