GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
VW purchased rights to the Scout badge with a 2020 deal for Navistar International.

AUTOMOTIVE NEWS

May 10, 2022 08:10 PM UPDATED 5 HOURS AGO

Volkswagen Group plans to revive the Scout off-road badge to capture a greater share of the giant U.S. light-truck market, one of the industry's most loyal customer bases.

VW, one of the biggest global automakers, but with a relatively small U.S. sales footprint that has tilted toward an expanded light-truck lineup in recent years, plans to introduce a new Scout electric SUV and electric pickup, The Wall Street Journal reported late Tuesday.

VW's management board is expected to meet and approve the plan on Wednesday, the paper said, citing people familiar with the meeting. Scout will operate as a separate unit of VW Group in the U.S. alongside the company's other brands, the paper said.

VW, which gained a following in the U.S. with the Microbus and Beetle, has struggled with how to enter the U.S. pickup market, long dominated by the Detroit 3. It also lacks a bonafide off-road SUV such as the Jeep Wrangler or Land Rover Defender.

VW is prepared to initially invest $1 billion in the Scout project, the Journal said, and would later seek other investors

LINK

Looks like another VW Bronco type sales winner coming in future, and the small Ford Maverick small pick-up has cannibalised Ranger market share, along with the practical boxy rear cab Nissan Frontier have been eating mid-sized pick market share. VW have some really nice products coming in the future...

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,690 Posts
Guy I work with has a rust-free '76 Scout survivor and his wife's DD is a VW.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Reactions: 1958carnut

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Pick-up version looks like a min-me Hummer.

Reactions: rockyspaw and CJH

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I spent most of my childhood going into young adulthood riding and driving a series of International pick-up trucks, the Scout's big brother. My father once received a Scout loaner while the truck was in for repairs. All the I can say is that this brings back memories. There one more thing that I can say: I hope that they bring back the full-size pick-up truck.

·
Registered
20,693 Posts
Interesting - my guess is for most of the country the Scout of 50 years ago means nothing, most never heard of it. But still a decent name. And then for the minority the name will mean something.

The "Wrangler" segment is getting crowded quickly! I was wrong - I thought the Wrangler sales represented the size of the market as people had no choice. But there certainly is a lot of demand for the Bronco and I don't think there's been a huge dent in Wrangler sales. Big market!

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Interesting - my guess is for most of the country the Scout of 50 years ago means nothing, most never heard of it. But still a decent name. And then for the minority the name will mean something.

The "Wrangler" segment is getting crowded quickly! I was wrong - I thought the Wrangler sales represented the size of the market as people had no choice. But there certainly is a lot of demand for the Bronco and I don't think there's been a huge dent in Wrangler sales. Big market!
Looking at Q1 Bronco Sport 29,009 & Bronco 23,573 total 52,582 sales, Jeep Wrangler 45,551, Ford must be pleased with the Bronco it is selling well, it's not outselling the Explorer though.

Bronco sales are not doing too bad, still got a way to catch the Jeep Cherokee 75,117 the No5 best selling vehicle in the USA Q1 2022.

VW are probably onto a winner, you're right the market will probably start to become a bit crowded out.

Reactions: BlackGTP

·
Registered
199 Posts
Skoda Octavia Scout
Wheel Tire Car Mountain Sky

This 2007 was the Scout (model derivative) intro year. Exported internationally and now on its 4th Generation. VW-owned Skoda Octavia shared its corporate VW platform with Golf etc

·
Registered
20,693 Posts
Looking at Q1 Bronco Sport 29,009 & Bronco 23,573 total 52,582 sales, Jeep Wrangler 45,551, Ford must be pleased with the Bronco it is selling well, it's not outselling the Explorer though.

Bronco sales are not doing too bad, still got a way to catch the Jeep Cherokee 75,117 the No5 best selling vehicle in the USA Q1 2022.

VW are probably onto a winner, you're right the market will probably start to become a bit crowded out.
I've zero doubts that GM is looking at a Wrangler sized Hummer and I'm pretty sure I remember reading a year or so ago that Toyota is working on something in that class too.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Why not?

Why not?
This thread is about VW using the Scout model name, right? Which in point it clearly already does.
No, the story about reviving an iconic SUV in the North American small truck market. The International Harvester Scout predates the Ford Bronco by 4 years. The Škoda Octavia Scout was one of several body styles of the Škoda Octavia. The International Scout was not a body style or trim level of the International. It was a separate model of the International. Multiple manufacturers and brands may use the same name for a trim level. Sport is currently a popular name for trim level shared across multiple manufacturers. Custom was a popular name for a trim level a few decades back.

And do you honestly believe that Volkswagen does not know the legal status of its rights to the name of every model, body style, and trim level in its inventory?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts