·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Volkwagen Golf VI unveiled a bit early
Posted Aug 3rd 2008 11:38PM by John Neff
Filed under: Euro, Hatchbacks, Volkswagen
AUTOBLOG

Volkswagen was planning to unveil the sixth generation of its popular Golf model this week, but the internet strikes again with a preview of the new people's hatch ahead of its official reveal. Information is limited so far and comes primarily from bloggers who don't speak the Queen's English, but from what we can tell the next-generation Golf will be larger than the current model. Indeed, it does appear to be a bit wider and maybe even lower than the current model. Might we even see some hints of the Scirocco in its design, as well? Our source indicates that the range of engines available with the Golf VI will include a 1.4L TSI, 1.8L TFSI and maybe even the 2.0L TFSI, while diesels will include the company's 1.9L and 2.0L TDI motors. A manual, automatic and DSG transmission will also be on the spec sheet. Contrary to some reports, VW of America has said that the new Golf will be sold in the U.S., though not until late next year. That's all we know for now, and it's admittedly basic stuff, so stay tuned this week for the official word from Volkswagen. Until then, scope out the new Golf VI in our gallery below.

Link
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/volkswagen-golf-vi/957449/

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Yep, and I don't find it as good-looking as the MKV.
True.:(

I can only hope that the GTI or R32 can fix it.

I still prefer the looks of the Sirocco.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it looks like it went back a generation in it's styling.
Also remember that VW is going back to basics in its styling principles. Like the huge chrome mass on the front. This is also just another evolutionary style choice from VW management. Id say the new Jetta and Passat replacements will be more stylish than toyotas but every bit as practical. back to the non premium VW roots americans expect.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
At first I thought someone was posting a pic of the Hyundai Tiburon to compare:

Other then that....I do prefer this throwback look. I always the the Mk IV was superior to the Mk V and I think this MKVI will also be better.

Lets just hope they go oldschool on the Jetta as well, make it boxier thats what made the previous Jetta stand out...like it was created from a mold...the new one is too round and curvy

·
Premium Member
9,366 Posts
Nice, I like it a lot! Espessially after seeing more pictures, it looks really good. I think it has a unique look to it that sets it apart.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im just impressed with a 7 speed auto in a compact car!

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
This is a stunning update, especially the interior. The Golf is probably the most recognizable compact car. It has remained pretty much true to it's original intention as a well sized, quality, compact car.

My girlfriend just purchased a 2008 City Golf (Canadian model) which is an updated IV model and it's a joy. The price was right in line with a well optioned Versa, Fit or Yaris but offered equipment not available in the other cars. The 6 speed auto is really nice, haven't driven a DSG VW yet but I have tried the Audi A3 with the DSG and it was incredible.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
The Golf does usually feel more substantial than its Japanese counterparts but this car will have to get better gas mileage than its predecessor..

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Nice, less cutesy/cartooney.

I like it.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ford just better watch out, Their global sales have consistantly been higher than Ford in certain markets. With a new Budget conscience VW coming to NA in the coming years, I think Ford could potentially become (gulp) Number 4 automaker

GM
Toyota
VW
Ford

Id even like to see VW knock out the Japanese and make it
GM
Ford
VW
Toyota
Honda
Nissan PSA (note these are not accurate)

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
BTW...are they keeping the Rabbit name or going back to Golf?

I like the golf name better, but even the golf is getting too big - with NA perceptions towards smaller cars changing, VW should really consider bringing the Polo here....

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I like the Polo too. I don't know why, but I've always liked that type of fabric for seats. I'm not sure what it's called.

·
Registered
8,963 Posts
I like the Polo too. I don't know why, but I've always liked that type of fabric for seats. I'm not sure what it's called.
It's called Interlagos Cloth and it has quite a following. It seems people either love it or hate it. I really like it because most cloth seats now are all the same with a basic bland grey. I probably would still get leather ahead of Interlagos but I would definitely check it out. It's kind of the equivalent of hounds tooth in the older Chevy‘s. I wish GM would offer that as an option to leather in the Camaro.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts