GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
VW to relaunch 'one-litre' eco car

Remember Volkswagen's 'one-litre' car, capable of one litre per 100km, or a scarcely credible 282mpg? Well VW has approved top-secret plans to build the limited-edition fuel miser in 2010, CAR Online can reveal. The tiny, grey cigar-shaped curiosity was a triumphal hit at the 2002 annual meeting in Hamburg and now – finally – it's heading for production.

At the time the chairman of VW's supervisory board predicted that the super-economical two-seater would go into production as soon as the cost of the carbonfibre monocoque dropped from €35,000 (£28,000) to €5000 (£4000), which he estimated would happen in 2012. Now the VW 1L will hit the market two years ahead of schedule, in 2010.
Somewhat surprisingly, the basic vehicle concept of the one-litre VW (pictured) hasn't changed that much over the past six years. To keep the frontal area as small as possible, the passenger still sits behind the driver. To ensure optimum structural rigidity, the aircraft-style canopy door concept will also be retained. Very Top Gun.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
I remember that concept! Boy have times changed.....I remember thinking, "who would buy that thing"? lol

·
Super Moderator
20,962 Posts
I remember that concept! Boy have times changed.....I remember thinking, "who would buy that thing"? lol
To be real honest, I wouldn't.
Sure it gets 235 MPG...but the prospect of taking maybe one and a half minutes to get up to highway cruising speed isn't very promising...

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Sure it gets 235 MPG...but the prospect of taking maybe one and a half minutes to get up to highway cruising speed isn't very promising...
Well, assuming it is going to be somewhat limited production (and a decent marketing tool at that), It might do pretty well...an "all weather moped" vehicle for people with a little extra disposable cash...or people who don't go near a highway and only travel trips of 10 miles or less per trip.

·
Registered
962 Posts
This is pretty cool and I applaud VW on bringing this to market, but I can't help but think that this thing can be squashed on the highway and left for dead without anyone even noticing.

A little bit of an exageration, but you get my point.

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
what if you stuck an LNF in that made it rwd or heck might as well toss a LS3 in it and make it rwd and drag radials and see what strip times it produces :D

CobaltSS

·
Registered
7,874 Posts
I would not feel safe driving that thing even around town. Even at low speeds, the green house..is at the height of most cars bumpers. Bumper to the face.

·
Premium Member
5,033 Posts
it sounds absolutely dangerous. Can you imagine taking a minute to get to 60?
You'd get run over by someone in a schwinn or huffy.
Seriously, on the American roads? Not on your life. I'd hate to meet up with anything bigger, including a Passat, Toureg, whatever, in an accident.

·
Super Moderator
20,962 Posts
Yup. :yup:
Buying this car is like buying your very own coffin. With a 1L engine.
But maybe it'll have ejector seats in case of a crash.
Just watch for the canopy. You might smack your head on it and die.

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
I would feel much safer on a motorcycle. I don't want my head anywhere near the height of a bumper. At least you can get your legs repaired.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
To play devils advocate....if it is made of carbon fiber and the size of it, it must be very light. So even with a 1L engine, it may be zippy who knows.

On the other side....that may not make it to the US due to crash standards.

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
To play devils advocate....if it is made of carbon fiber and the size of it, it must be very light. So even with a 1L engine, it may be zippy who knows.

On the other side....that may not make it to the US due to crash standards.
I thought 3 wheelers were classified as motorcycles thus avoiding any crash standards.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I'd rather take my chances with this (and this will be in my garage someday)...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts