GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, now that all the V6 Vues have the 250hp engine, is the Red Line model solely an appearance package?

I'm not crazy about the Vue, but am considering it for my next car. I wish the Equinox had the 250hp engine.

Is the redline package worth the extra $3000 (Cdn)?

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Perhaps it comes with bigger and better brakes, and minor interior accents? Not to mention the redline sticker adds to teh VTECK powa!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Feb 23 2004, 07:40 AM
Perhaps it comes with bigger and better brakes, and minor interior accents? Not to mention the redline sticker adds to teh VTECK powa!
:laughbounce:

·
Registered
685 Posts
From what I read they have done some serious tuning to the steering and susp. but I agree a "base" V6 makes a lot sense. I am planning on driving one in the coming months. I just started a new job(ABOUT TIME!) and the company is a GM supplier. I don't know if we get any discounts or not. We also supply DCX, Ford, Toyota and Nissan. It will kind of suck if we don't get a GM discount, or any for that matter.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
I think I saw one at a dealer 2 weeks ago. I was driving to a Pontiac dealer to look at my first GTO when I drove past a Saturn dealer... And up front was a silver Vue with a funny looking front, and it looked like as if it had a intercooler up front. From all the pics I have seen, that was the RedLine. Where are the Ion versions?

And another note, not to jack rex's topic but I was reading last months Motortrend and they were talking about the Bonnie GXP. They said they are on sale currently? Anyone have any info on this being true? if not, when do they show up?

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
threadjacker!!!

I spoke to me Pontiac dealer, and he said the GXP would be showing up any day now. So they actually probably have already arrived in some dealerships.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Originally posted by Rex Raider@Feb 24 2004, 04:40 AM
threadjacker!!!

I spoke to me Pontiac dealer, and he said the GXP would be showing up any day now. So they actually probably have already arrived in some dealerships.
Ditto, that is what my dealer told me ;)

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Is it solely an appearance package?

Let's see...it does have the same 250Hp engine as the other V6 VUEs for '04, so the straight-line performance will be the same.

But it's lowered an inch, has wider, lower profile tires, stiffer springs, retuned shocks, and retuned steering in addition to the appearance package.

Seems like more than just an appearance package to me. The base VUE will be able to keep up with it until you hit the first corner. With 250hp and AWD, there's not much on the market that will keep up with it (SUV-wise). Think of it this way: the base VUE just happens to be fortunate enough to get the same engine as the Redline :)

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
GM is so confusing. They use the Theta Platform (I think) for both the VUE and Equinox and don't give it the same engine choices but the Trailblazer/Ascender/Envoy/Rainer/and all on this platform have the same engine choices. What in the world???

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by gmwsag@Mar 6 2004, 05:53 PM
GM is so confusing. They use the Theta Platform (I think) for both the VUE and Equinox and don't give it the same engine choices but the Trailblazer/Ascender/Envoy/Rainer/and all on this platform have the same engine choices. What in the world???
wow.. good catch :rolleyes:

9-3 uses a 2.2 turbo ecotec, while the Malibu uses a standard 2.2...
And how many honda motors do you want in GM cars and trucks?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28+Mar 6 2004, 07:20 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bigals87z28 @ Mar 6 2004, 07:20 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-gmwsag@Mar 6 2004, 05:53 PM
wow.. good catch :rolleyes:

9-3 uses a 2.2 turbo ecotec, while the Malibu uses a standard 2.2...
And how many honda motors do you want in GM cars and trucks? [/b][/quote]
the 9³ uses a 2.0L, not 2.2L ECOTEC

·
Registered
708 Posts
The Redline adds bigger rims/tires, tuned suspension/steering,
and a monochrome exterior (and lowered an inch). The motor
is already pumping out 250 healthy horses (on cheap gas!), so
I cannot complain. Well, I guess I can, the color choices suck.

You can get into a Vue Redline right now for under $22K after
the current rebates. That is not a bad deal for what you get.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Originally posted by Rex Raider@Feb 24 2004, 10:40 AM
threadjacker!!!

I was surprised to see one on the road last weekend; that's the first one I have seen at all (other than in pictures). It was white; not my first choice. But the lines are awesome...

·
Registered
708 Posts
They do something like 7.0 0-60 and 15.5 1/4.
That is pretty impressive for a cheap SUV. ;)

The wife wants a Vue, but not a Redline, she's
not impressed by the ground effects. But I'm
going to work on her in the meantime... haha

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Originally posted by thehemi@May 7 2004, 04:52 PM
They do something like 7.0 0-60 and 15.5 1/4.
That is pretty impressive for a cheap SUV. ;)

The wife wants a Vue, but not a Redline, she's
not impressed by the ground effects. But I'm
going to work on her in the meantime... haha
Review of the VUE RL coming soon, here is a hint: CONVINCE YOUR WIFE!!

·
Registered
708 Posts
Looks like you cannot tow with a Redline.
That is not good news.

The Equinox is the only good competitor we
have found for the Vue (on our list), but the
'nox appears to be WAY too rare so far. So
the VUE FWD V6 is leading the pack still...

·
Registered
188 Posts

That's not entirely accurate, but I see your point as I would LOVE to see an Envoy with the 3.5L even though it's a licensed engine from Honda. I believe the Buick Ranier is the only sibling that comes standard with a V-8 whereas the others have a choice between the V-6 or the V-8.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Originally posted by slvrlkdude@May 17 2004, 07:11 PM

That's not entirely accurate, but I see your point as I would LOVE to see an Envoy with the 3.5L even though it's a licensed engine from Honda. I believe the Buick Ranier is the only sibling that comes standard with a V-8 whereas the others have a choice between the V-6 or the V-8.
I don't think I'd want the Honda 3.5L in the Envoy. The I6 is already a smooth engine, so the Honda's refinement won't be much of an advantage, and it's simply smaller with less torque and horsepower. The 4800 lb Envoys need all the power they can get.

The Rainier still has the I6 standard, but the V8 is optional, making it the only regular wheelbase GMT360 to get the V8, until the Saab 9-7 comes along.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts