GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Volvo “Triple Boost” Four-Cylinder Engine Has Three Compressors, Makes “No Less Than” 450 Horsepower

Car and Driver
October 7, 2014
By: Steve Siler

Volvo’s turbocharged and supercharged Drive-E 2.0-liter engine is the starting point, but the mechanical supercharger has been stripped away, and an electric supercharger and an additional turbo have been strapped on. Instead of using exhaust gases to get their spool on, the turbos are fed compressed air from the electrically powered compressor/supercharger, which eliminates turbo lag, according to Volvo. Also part of the package is a new dual fuel pump that delivers gasoline to the cylinders at 3626 psi.
This would be a good engine for a performance XC90 and flagship trim for the S80, where the engine could compete with traditional V-8 options.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Great! Hook it to the rear wheels and put it in a little sedan that weighs less than 3800 pounds, and they'll have a winner.

·
Registered
11,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I love Volvo.

Will this see production?
I believe that's the idea, although they did not specify in the article. They say "Once it reaches production....." but later say that there's no announcement of what vehicles will get it. Personally it seems like the XC90 and S80 (or S90 if that's what the replacement is called) would be the main recipients. Maybe a performance S60R?

Great! Hook it to the rear wheels and put it in a little sedan that weighs less than 3800 pounds, and they'll have a winner.
Volvo's new platform is a FWD one.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
These hugely powerful 4 cyl engines remind of group b rally, when everything was possible. Love it!

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
See, this is why if you are a different kinda' premium brand, you want to program in some crazy / crazy small and unique 6s and 8s.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Yes, one engine architecture for all cars, lower tax burden on buyers in some places. In terms of economy to drivers not really, at least until someone figures out a production viable way to vary compression.

·
Registered
11,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is there actually any real life benefit from getting that much power from a tiny engine?
This:

Yes, one engine architecture for all cars, lower tax burden on buyers in some places. In terms of economy to drivers not really, at least until someone figures out a production viable way to vary compression.
And as implied, real world mileage for an owner might not be that different from, say, using the LF3 in its place, but there could be a minor savings. The advantage is mostly in taxes as 377Z said, and for Americans that isn't presently an issue.

However, for Volvo they have haven't had to develop a new 6-cylinder (as they're phasing out their I-5 and I-6 families and dropped the Yamaha V-8 long ago).

·
Registered
9,152 Posts
Forget that.
Drop it into C30 and you have an A45 killer.
That's the first thing I thought of. They even have an AWD system that works on that platform. Now that would be one hot hatch.

Instead they will waste it by putting it in some mammoth SUV.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts