1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
SOURCE: Motor Authority

Report: Volvo considering cheaper cars, higher volumes
Posted on Wednesday 13 August 2008

Volvo executives have stated as recently as last month that the carmaker is looking to position its future vehicles further upmarket and into segments dominated by the likes of Germany’s luxury marques. This was to help Ford, which still owns the Swedish carmaker, to keep a foot in the door to the luxury market now that it has sold off the rest of its former Premier Auto Group. However, latest reports indicate that such a strategy is proving too expensive and a better solution would be to focus on less expensive models and higher volumes.

Volvo’s original decision to develop the XC60 SUV (pictured) from the ground up proved to be too costly and led to significant delays in its development. A future strategy, an inside source has revealed to Autocar, would be to utilize existing Ford technology and platforms to keep costs and development times low.

There are also plans for the introduction of new fuel-efficient diesel models as well as the addition of more small cars in its lineup.
MORE HERE

·
Super Moderator
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A 180 course correction if really true. This makes me believe that Ford would hold onto them longer rather than sever them from the rest of the company. The moves they made before in using more unique platforms made me believe that it was only a matter until a sale was eminent.

Perhaps they couldn't find a buyer willing to pay full price?

Or they could just increase production using Ford platforms, sell the company later anyway, then invite the new owners to continue using/co-develop Ford platforms in the future. This is kinda similar to the arrangement that Ford has with Aston Martin and Jag/LR to a degree.

Is this possible? What would Ford have to lose if true?

·
Super Moderator
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Motor Authority said:
There are also plans for the introduction of new fuel-efficient diesel models as well as the addition of more small cars in its lineup.
I could almost imagine that this could be something smaller than the C30 that could compete in size with a Mini or similar "city-car/sub-compact" product, etc.

Its not too far off the marque from what many believed the 9-1 would have looked like at some point. Or even what the Alfa Romeo Mito is.

Could Volvo do the same using the next-gen Fiesta/Mazda2 platform and make the staring price in the $21K territory?

I wonder what they'd call it? An S20 or C10 perhaps?

Fun to ponder....

·
Premium Member
9,366 Posts
Interesting, this isn't a good idea at all. Ford needs a luxury brand, luxury brands are more profitable and I'm not convinced Volvo can support large volumes. Not liking the sounds of this.....of course, it's just speculation though.

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
Volvo models will never be volume sellers. That's why they need to focus on having a wide variety of models to choose from, rather than spending a lot of coin on developing a handful, only to have them not sell anyway.

Sharing a great deal of parts and architectures with Ford will allow Volvo to move some of its production to US Ford factories, and avoid getting slaughtered on the exchange rate.

If they have distinct Volvo style inside and out, FWD/AWD, and excellent safety, they will sell well.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
I think this could help by spreading the development cost , hell the C30 its based on the Focus platform and they look very different, so yes I think this is the way to go and with this platform sharing I bet some of Ford top brass might be contemplating building some Volvo models in the US since they will share platforms

who could say this
and this are on the same platform

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
I have a feeling (that's all it is) that this might be just that someone recently heard more about the nextgen S60 and the single new model that will replace the S40 & V50 (Both oughta be coming soooon)
so the near-term new stuff sounds more small oriented
tho
a sub-C30 is a good idea too imho (for selected markets)
& yet
I still believe an S100 (& maybe C90) could be part of the slightly longer-range plans... the S80 is too small imho to be the brand's 'flagship';
the Skoda Superb for example is 4838mm/197.5" in length (if my quick googling & conversion are correct)

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
Like Cadillac, apparently.

Everyone is suddenly going down-market.

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
Since it was released, I have seen just one C30 on the road. That was months ago. Have'nt seen one since.

Same here. Only one. But I have a great admiration for the C30. I think it's one of the best looking cars of its size anywhere. And small cars are not easy to make that nice. "Cute" or "Interesting", but not down right beautiful as I think the C30 ic.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I used to be a steadfast Volvo fan. Unfortunately, the present (Ford based) Volvo line does nothing whatsoever for me. Styling - which the automotive press typically claims is great now - is, in my honest opinion, very poor indeed.

The XC90 is a good product, and the new XC60 looks very promising indeed, but other than that . . .

The C1 Volvos (C30, S40/V50 and C70) are undistinguished and very pricey for what they offer, but it is the pricier models which really disappoint me.

The second generation (EUCD) S80 has none of the gravitas and presence of the original 1998-2006 S80. It looks much smaller, like a slightly more modern S60, in fact, and has that incredibly vague, ill-defined frontal styling which plagues recent Volvos. No prestige at all . .. no wonder sales are less than sparkling.

The V70/XC70 wagons (EUCD again) - and a core product for Gothenburg - have very busy, badly resolved rear styling, far inferior to the 2000-2007 V70. The new wagons have the same ill-defined nose styling as the S80.

It's just not good enough for vehicles in the price class in which the "big" Volvos compete. Flagship models must have flagship styling.

Personally, and I know that it is a modern heresy to say this, but I look back to the RWD, square-lined Volvos 760/960 et al, with great affection. I thought they looked fantastic!

Or is it just me?

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
I have a feeling (that's all it is) that this might be just that someone recently heard more about the nextgen S60 and the single new model that will replace the S40 & V50 (Both oughta be coming soooon)
so the near-term new stuff sounds more small oriented
tho
a sub-C30 is a good idea too imho (for selected markets)
& yet
I still believe an S100 (& maybe C90) could be part of the slightly longer-range plans... the S80 is too small imho to be the brand's 'flagship';
the Skoda Superb for example is 4838mm/197.5" in length (if my quick googling & conversion are correct)
The S100 would be good but it should use the new RWD platform.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Interesting and possibly a smart move. What are we going to do with all brands being or pretending to be upscale- in a time of recession. Eventually the party will be over, too, for countries currently enjoying good times.

·
Banned
1,586 Posts
When you consider that Europe will soon regulate and tax away the large car market, Volvo would be better off with a lineup of smaller but luxurious and sporty offerings that are Volvo-safe and utilize space well.

·
Registered
596 Posts
As a lifelong Volvo owner I cringed when Ford bought the company. Thankfully Ford didn't destroy Volvo as GM has done to SAAB.

Volvo's were always Safe, Durable, and RWD. The switch to FWD is what doomed Volvo to the sidelines as an also-ran. FWD isn't luxury, nor is it durable. FWD limits Acura's appeal and dooms VW's luxury aspirations.

BRING BACK RWD! Bring back the turbo 4!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts