GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Ive heeard this thing about killing the S40 and V50 presumbaly for awhile. I believe the V70 and XC70 would then go along with the S80 and the V50 would be redesigned on the S60 chassis as its wagon counterpart.

I know Volvo intends to truely go after BMW 3 and C Class with the next S60. I think a delay is worth it of the car is truely remarkable. bring back that Turbo I-5 with 300hp (S60 R) as the mid grade engine to go with the 335i twin turbo. Come in with a base 6 cylinder making 235 hp from S80 or the T6 V6 with 281 hp.

As for the S40, I see so many in Colo that I can see Volvo a really good C30 5-door to act as a 4 door entry car, (also on same platform). This would go against A3 and 1-series.

Sad the XC-90 has a couple fo years for a re-do. Volvo is good at updating vehicles and hiding their age though, and the SUV market being the way it is, plus the new XC-60 as good as it is should keep Volvo in good shape.

·
Registered
7,874 Posts
Why kill the S40? Is it not their volume leader? Its the most accessible for the masses.

If Saab tanked, I'd probably move into a C30 or S40.

...Or CTS haha.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Ford is prepping two new global C-segment chasis for the Focus and Mondeo/Fusion and I'm sure those will be offered to Volvo for use. I'm sure the future of S40 depends on that, but indeed the S40 accounts for a huge part of its market share so I don't believe they can let it go.

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
^ that's a real good thought, BORG!
at this point holding off on an all new S60... ...well, not much choice I guess
& can co-incide with a "whitespace vehicle" I have high hope for...

another thought I'll add is maybe Volvo IS going to tackle moving up-market a bit (or 3);
which means imho that Anything all new had better not need ANY excuses,
esp. in comparo-ing to the segment icons

^that said
imho the S60 is already well over due - should've come out NO LATER than ONE Year after the C1 S40/V50
[ guess from all my CAPS that I'm upset... YUP! :mad:]
it's just that this seems almost Panther/Ranger-ish to me ]

anyway
imho it's a done deal that the sedan/wagon S40/V50 are as good as toast
however
think I'm revising my previous conclusion that One sporty-5-door would replace both
esp. if they're gonna try to take on model-variation-Happy BMW & Mercedes...
so maybe I should start saving for this:

old ^ rendering found on the web, c.2004

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.