GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
VW will invest 85.6 billion euros ($106 billion) over the next five years, Europe’s biggest manufacturer of cars, vans and heavy trucks said today in a statement. The plan calls for an increase in average annual spending on auto operations to about 17.1 billion euros a year, compared with 16.8 billion euros under its previous rolling five-year budget.

CEO Winterkorn has pushed VW to expand in recent years and expects to sell more than 10 million vehicles this year for the first time, four years earlier than initially planned. The German carmaker narrowed Toyota’s global sales lead to 72,000 vehicles in the first nine months of 2014 from 227,000 a year earlier, as General Motors Co. (GM) fell further back into third place.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-...06-billion-chasing-toyota-for-sales-lead.html

·
Premium Member
36,287 Posts
Yeah, VW have been talking #1 for some years now. It sounds like a bunch of #2 to me.

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
They will probably do well in places like Australia in the future, GM & Ford have gift wrapped the Aussie market given it away for free handed it on a on a plate to Toyota, VW like a pack of scavenging Wolfsburg wolf's will in be in like a shot to fill the Aussie voids you wait and see.

VW used to use to be a minor player in place like the UK, Ford stopped making cars in the UK stopped selling popular cars like the Cortina just after that VW began to gain sales traction in the UK, VW came in stole the UK market from Ford UK just after the year 2,000 when Ford pulled the plug on making cars in the UK, VW Group are now the Brits No1 choice biggest seller of cars in the UK.

I want GM to be the world most profitable thats the best goal to have, thats what enables you to invest in better products that ensures rock solid job security for the long term future, l don't want GM to be the biggest seller the bigger you are the harder you fall in the bad times, VW are welcome to the title.

·
Registered
7,898 Posts
VW used to use to be a minor player in place like the UK, Ford stopped making cars in the UK stopped selling popular cars like the Cortina just after that VW began to gain sales traction in the UK, VW came in stole the UK market from Ford UK just after the year 2,000 when Ford pulled the plug on making cars in the UK, VW Group are now the Brits No1 choice biggest seller of cars in the UK.
At the time, VW cars were in a much higher league for reliability than Ford, GM or any of the other European mainstream brands - and some of the premium brands as well.

VW didn't steal - Ford, GM, et al gave it away.

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
Did you know that when a VW reaches 100,000 miles, a VW engineer grows wings?

Just another reason why VW will never be #1.
I have seen WAY more VW's with very high milage then ANY Japanese brands and in my experience the BEST VWs are the ones driven a LOT VS the ones used for short commutes

I just wonder when they will take north America seriously as for a LONG time they have treated NA as a second rate market
stuff like the Amarok and a well priced scirocco I think could get good volume or at least attention in the VW show room

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
I just wonder when they will take north America seriously as for a LONG time they have treated NA as a second rate market
stuff like the Amarok and a well priced scirocco I think could get good volume or at least attention in the VW show room
EU and US are in trade talks at the moments, getting rid of cars taxes is very high on the agenda to increase global trade, getting rid of the pick-up truck chicken taxes is one thing on the agenda, so l guess the Amarok might arrive one day in the not to distant future.

Amarok is very a nice truck.

·
Registered
773 Posts
How long has VW been saying stuff like this? I swear I remember reading stuff with them saying they were going to be number 1 by 2015...
They have been saying this for atleast past 4 years - but there target has always been #1 by 2018-19 time frame.
They first said this when they were #3 or #4... and GM was #1

Now they are #2 just behind Toyota...so they are on track globally. Although, their growth in US is much smaller than they expected..

But the consequences of pushing hard for volume is only seen after 1 product cycle, so lets see what happens in the next couple of years

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
EU and US are in trade talks at the moments, getting rid of cars taxes is very high on the agenda to increase global trade, getting rid of the pick-up truck chicken taxes is one thing on the agenda, so l guess the Amarok might arrive one day in the not to distant future.

Not nice enough. + VW reliability.......... yea no truck buyer is going to put up with that bs

·
Registered
5,300 Posts

Amarok may be nice, but not this nice

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
VW Amarok wins a lot of awards because it a very nice AWD pick-up to drive, it has excellent road manners, drives as good as any SUV. You get an eight-speed automatic and ‘permanent’ 4MOTION all-wheel drive rather than 4WD, however, there is no dual-range transfer case (meaning no low-range). I suppose that and the nice big rectangular rear cab windows offer excellent all round visibility that is just something l prefer personally among lots of other features in a pick-up truck (Trucks tend to take a lot of dings when reversing into tight spots, excellent alround visibility on the VW Amarok is something l like a lot). Nope l won't ever be buying a VW pick-up in my lifetime, a new Silverado will be my next new buy.

AUTO EXPRESS 2014 Pick-up truck of the year : Auto Express pick-up truck of the year 3 times in a row VW Amarok.
The Volkswagen Amarok is the 2014 Auto Express Pick-up of the Year, with the Ford Ranger and SsangYong Korando Sport commended

In the rough-and-tumble world of pick-up trucks, the rugged Volkswagen Amarok still stands head and shoulders above its rivals. For the third year in a row, the versatile Volkswagen has squared up to the competition and carried off a coveted Auto Express New Car Award.

How has it achieved this impressive feat? It’s simple, really: by combining the relentless work ethic of a commercial vehicle with the kerb appeal of a desirable SUV, the Volkswagen is essentially two cars rolled into one.

• Best pick-up trucks

For instance, the wide load bay will comfortably swallow a Euro pallet, plus it’s lined with a no-nonsense hose-down floor material. There’s also the option of a 4MOTION all-wheel-drive transmission, meaning you’ll never get stuck on a muddy building site. Yet for buyers wanting a little more luxury, the Amarok’s classy cabin and civilised driving experience will be the real clincher.

Unlike its competitors, the spacious double-cab interior is packed with top-notch materials, while the switchgear is carried over from the brand’s Polo and Golf. Better still, the major controls are no more demanding to use than those of a standard family hatchback.

Sure, the 2.0-litre diesel isn’t the last word in refinement, but it delivers decent performance and economy, while the optional eight-speed auto box serves up smooth shifts – the standard six-speed manual has a meaty and precise change. The truck rides well, too, soaking up bumps that would send a shudder through less talented rivals.

Positive steering and composed handling complete the high-riding Volkswagen’s list of towering talents, and confirm its place at the top of the pick-up tree.

Upmarket Highline trim gives the Amarok a real SUV feel, as does grippy 4MOTION all-wheel drive. Twin-turbo diesel is gruff, but provides strong pace and decent economy.

LINK

Reactions: richmond2000

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
VW Amarok wins a lot of awards because it a very nice AWD pick-up to drive, it has excellent road manners, drives as good as any SUV. You get an eight-speed automatic and ‘permanent’ 4MOTION all-wheel drive rather than 4WD, however, there is no dual-range transfer case (meaning no low-range). I suppose that and the nice big rectangular rear cab windows offer excellent all round visibility that is just something l prefer personally among lots of other features in a pick-up truck (Trucks tend to take a lot of dings when reversing into tight spots, excellent alround visibility on the VW Amarok is something l like a lot). Nope l won't ever be buying a VW pick-up in my lifetime, a new Silverado will be my next new buy.

AUTO EXPRESS 2014 Pick-up truck of the year : Auto Express pick-up truck of the year 3 times in a row VW Amarok.
The Volkswagen Amarok is the 2014 Auto Express Pick-up of the Year, with the Ford Ranger and SsangYong Korando Sport commended

In the rough-and-tumble world of pick-up trucks, the rugged Volkswagen Amarok still stands head and shoulders above its rivals. For the third year in a row, the versatile Volkswagen has squared up to the competition and carried off a coveted Auto Express New Car Award.

How has it achieved this impressive feat? It’s simple, really: by combining the relentless work ethic of a commercial vehicle with the kerb appeal of a desirable SUV, the Volkswagen is essentially two cars rolled into one.

• Best pick-up trucks

For instance, the wide load bay will comfortably swallow a Euro pallet, plus it’s lined with a no-nonsense hose-down floor material. There’s also the option of a 4MOTION all-wheel-drive transmission, meaning you’ll never get stuck on a muddy building site. Yet for buyers wanting a little more luxury, the Amarok’s classy cabin and civilised driving experience will be the real clincher.

Unlike its competitors, the spacious double-cab interior is packed with top-notch materials, while the switchgear is carried over from the brand’s Polo and Golf. Better still, the major controls are no more demanding to use than those of a standard family hatchback.

Sure, the 2.0-litre diesel isn’t the last word in refinement, but it delivers decent performance and economy, while the optional eight-speed auto box serves up smooth shifts – the standard six-speed manual has a meaty and precise change. The truck rides well, too, soaking up bumps that would send a shudder through less talented rivals.

Positive steering and composed handling complete the high-riding Volkswagen’s list of towering talents, and confirm its place at the top of the pick-up tree.

Upmarket Highline trim gives the Amarok a real SUV feel, as does grippy 4MOTION all-wheel drive. Twin-turbo diesel is gruff, but provides strong pace and decent economy.

LINK
Honda Ridgeline.. won motortrend truck of the year.. plus autoexpress is a Volkswagen marketing arm.. Zero credibility in my book

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.